Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I've just been looking at a military-style khaki drill jacket in the Hackett shop on Jermyn Street. It looks like this KD service dress jacket , but with two flap pockets at the bottom and more of a rever collar.

At £250 it's too expensive. And the fabric is quite light. I'm unlikely to get something more authentic/original in my size and I'm wondering whether Pegasus can come up with better-fitting goods.

In the same shop there was a waterproof cotton raincoat made in Italy. It's not Ventile, but it seems to be more or less the same thing. I'd heard that tight-woven cotton is available in Italy but never seen it close up. This Italian stuff is very fine. In fact, in my ignorance I thought it was microfibre at first.

This would be a good raincoat for vintage hiking/adventure purposes.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I agree, Mr. Dah. I had the same problem with the 'Irvin' jacket thread which was even (much!) longer. My polite request that it should be divided by category wasn't well received, but it was done anyway. IMHO this thread needs more focus.

Anyway, Mr. Past, if you are looking for a traditional style Ventile (r) anorak, have you tried Snowsled. IMO (again) their stuff is at least as good as West Winds.

BTW, I have a Ventile (r) raincoat such as you describe (made by Masons in Lancashire) and it gives good service.

dit dah said:
pps

Living as I do a little way from the place Robert DeNiro quaintly refers to as "Herford" in Ronin I was thinking of popping in to Stirling Lines and suggesting that they henceforth include the navigation of this thread in Selection, possibly even if favour of the Brecons.

I can see even the most capable and able bodied men slumped by the side of page 60, begging for the truck home. Not many would have the stamina and inner reserves to reach the final page in tact.

Perhaps time to introduce an "Elite Loungers" cap badge?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I really like Snowsled's classic smock. But it's more expensive than West Winds' equivalent smock. The WW one is quite customisable, allowing the features I want to be added/removed. It's also more roomy. I think the Snowsled smocks are for climbers, whereas I'm less vertically minded.

Ideally, I'd have both. But as I'm still saving up for one, I'm going to have to choose WW.

Was Masons a retail name or a cotton manufacturer?

"IMHO this thread needs more focus." :eek:

I suppose the problem with this thread, if there is one, is that we tend to light out for the territory in the garb reflecting the cultures that have had the biggest effect on us. And that means a multitude of imaginings based on different places, times and events, whether real or imaginary.

Until such time as forums become data-oriented rather than chat-based I guess we're stuck with this.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Creeping Past said:
"IMHO this thread needs more focus." :eek:

I suppose the problem with this thread, if there is one, is that we tend to light out for the territory in the garb reflecting the cultures that have had the biggest effect on us. And that means a multitude of imaginings based on different places, times and events, whether real or imaginary.

Until such time as forums become data-oriented rather than chat-based I guess we're stuck with this.

Does that mean 'it's too long'?

Masons were weavers. They had a licence for Ventile (r).

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Dit Dah.

I understand that you don't have the inkling for the vintage physical mental itching of pre-loved clothing. But.
Yes, but- some of the old gear is old, yet unused... the trousers I'm thinking of, which are available from a French eBayiste, are, I'm pretty durn shure, unused, mothball holders. Still no good?

Check out eBay.fr vendor, "Lemonrags", particularly item 130293517978.
These Swiss trousers are pretty cool- he's flogging them as WW1 French-ish style.

Pants like this are totally vintage in appearance and detail, relatively inexpensive, probably new, unused and made in the '60s, or even later.
They have wide legs, tapering and fastening toward the ankle/lower calf with buttons. Very good, perfect for cooler weather walking. Get a woolly, anananorak, thick socks, a pair of your favourite Lenon's nailed boots an you're set. Rucksack..?

There are many repros of British, German, etc cotton drill, or herringbone twill
fatigue, work pants with good volume, within which one can contort oneself.

Peruse sites, such as http://ww2-reenactor.com (USA) and the exact same (allied)products from this one, in Wales-
http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/reenactors/select.asp

... Lotsa Khaki and try the German trousers.

Maybe get one of those surplus(probably new) Swedish army smock/anoraks and re-arrange the pockets and tweak the design a little, if you want an anorak and don't need a ventile garment.

Just some thoughts to be going on with.

I realise that surplus may not be immediately up your cup of cake but a ,lot of it is in fact, new old stock and will only require laundering in your favourite detergent. Some of the coolest surplus gear is not re-created.

B
T

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Good links, BT. I was just about to ask you about Swiss trousers for this coming walking season.

Lemonrags has an interesting pair of Swiss snow boots on offer [See: "Chaussures Grand Friod". I think he means "froid"...] the soles of which feature special gripping nails of a type similar to those on the famous Mallory Everest boot.

The SOF/WPG US HBTs are great value at £30.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Non-slip Froidian.

He drops a Froid in the description.

"Grand froid" would be "Arctic"?

Suedoise would be Swede-warz, not Swiss-warz.
Suisse.

By eyeballing those boots, I would hazard a goose that they are over-boots for walking on ice.
Not so much for scaling glaciers and mountains.

Bugger.., now my eyeball hurts.

B
T

TM

A-List Customer
Here's a review of a new adventure book: "The Lost City of Z" which deals with the last adventure (into the Amazon) of Col. Percy Harrison Fawcett.

By the way, please don't try this at home. Over 100 (!) people have died attempting to recreate Fawcett's quest.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/17/books/17kaku.html?th&emc=th

9780385513531.gif

Tony

Jerekson

One Too Many
Not my most adventurous gear per se, but worth sharing. This is some cold weather gear I threw together for a day of winter hiking and driving.

venturewear_1.png

venturewear_2.png

venturewear_3.png

Regular cotton undershirt with a thick sweatershirt; a pair of blue jeans underneath a pair of canvas trousers with a military web belt; paratroopers' combat/work boots; Australian riding duster; Akubra Squatter; Wilson driving glasses.

I had a pair of black gloves (visible in the last pic), a big knife, and my gas mask bag, but they didn't see much use during the day, and stayed in the car for most of the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart