Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Mark G

A-List Customer
Mojave Jack said:
I gotta say, I do like that tire on the hood!

Mojave, I agree the tire looks great, but every body I encountered took them off because the rough "roads" dented the bonnet too much and sometimes they couldn't keep it latch.

Gutshot

One of the Regulars
Went out and played a bit this weekend. I figured I should look the part :)

3828538453_a782a7a85c.jpg

NelsAnderson

New in Town
Mark G said:
Mojave, I agree the tire looks great, but every body I encountered took them off because the rough "roads" dented the bonnet too much and sometimes they couldn't keep it latch.

Must be a Jeep thing :) On the series Land Rovers, mounts are available for the bonnet or the back door. The back door mount is the one that is avoided as it eventually causes damage to the door, body, hinges, etc. The "deluxe" bonnet that is dished in the shape of the tire and has the mounting hardware looks wrong without a tire there.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I picked up a pair of these Swiss Army wool trousers today at a surplus store Up North along with a Swiss waterproof rucksack (exactly like my old salt-and-pepper one, but in a waterproof canvas material).

swiss20wool20pants.jpg

I hope the coloring of these trousers isn’t too blue to go with my green-and-black plaid peacoat (Ersatz Mackinaw). If my wife follows through with finding me a cream, roll-neck sweater, my winter outdoor gear will be nearly complete. I just hope I can dig up the funds for a pair of Maine hunting shoes.

-Dave

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Edward_Lindey said:
I think Whatprice Glory has a white role neck naval sweater. I have ordered from them before and have had good luck.

Edward

They do, and I ordered it but the sleeves are too short for me. They are sold by chest size, so I’d have to step up to large to get sleeves long enough, and I don’t want one that loose fitting. I’m in the process of returning it.

-Dave

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Gutshot said:
Let me know how you like those... I saw some Saturday at the local army surplus store and was thinking of getting a pair.

I like them very well. So does my wife. So well, in fact, that she’s suggested I use them for work and not for hard work. :rolleyes:

-Dave

Kifaru

New in Town
Mojave Jack said:
On another note, I went exploring in the Willys this afternoon, and had a grand time bouncing around the desert.

I thought I was going to be sea sick, going over all the whoop-de-dos that the motorcycle traffic has caused in the road! I was pleased to see, however, that my short wheelbase performed much better than the full size trucks I passed. I just rolled up and down the whoop-de-dos like a ship on ocean waves, but those trucks with longer wheelbases jounced up and down horribly, and high-centered fairly frequently, forcing them to wind back and forth across the road. lol

Great adventure! There is a trick to learning to drive on looooong desert pistes that are corrogated into "whoops". You either go slow, as you did, and go up and down the bumps or, for the more brave (and longer wheelbased) you find the speed at which your tires just skim the top of the bumps. For each vehicle and piste that magic speed is different. The trick to doing it at speed (which actually is much more comfortable) is to NEVER stab the brakes at speed. You will instantly end up upside down and strewn across the desert. All you need to do is just let off the throttle, hold on to your molars, and let it slow down gradually.

Some vehicles are set up for it. I race a Hummer H1 in North Africa that can happily do your road at about 80mph. Of course, its got about 40k worth of suspension to make it do that!

My body getting a little tired of the abuse so I'm probably going to sell the big girl and build a safari truck like the one in Out of Africa ("Shoo! Isn't that your word? Shoo!") based on on a Series IIa LWB land Rover or maybe an old Dodge Weapons Carrier.

Great Willy's. If it were mine, I would toss the V8 and put a little Ford 2.3L 4 banger in it. More power than you will ever need in such a little truck and your fuel tank will love you for it. And hurry up and get out the 2" brush and flat black paint and zebra stripe it already!:D

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Kifaru said:
I'm probably going to sell the big girl and build a safari truck like the one in Out of Africa ("Shoo! Isn't that your word? Shoo!") based on on a Series IIa LWB land Rover or maybe an old Dodge Weapons Carrier.

When I was in 6th or 7th grade I built a small diorama of LRDG or SAS vehicles in North Africa. One was a Willys Jeep and one was a Dodge Weapons Carrier. Thanks for bringing back such a good memory!

-Dave

TM

A-List Customer
British Campaign Furniture

For those interested in British Campaign Furniture, the classic take apart wood & canvas camping-in-style stuff, there's a great book: British Campaign Furniture: Elegance under Canvas, 1740-1914.

51RDWA5HR3L.jpg

Unfortunately, it's out of print and insanely expensive to buy used. Here's a link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/British-Campaign-Furniture-Elegance-1740-1914/dp/0810957116/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253072140&sr=8-1

You can often get it through an interlibrary loan, which is how I read it.

Great stuff!

Tony

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Pretty literal translation:

"Topee", the double Felthat has in the last few years been worn in place of the Pith helmet. This hat consists of two felthats fitting in each other, with a wide brim, that gives you full protection against sunrays. Available in beige and brown.

The models I,II and III lower down the page have a drilled/undrilled option, for ventilation I suppose.

It's from a marvellous book called "Tropenecht", meaning Tropicproof, which was a standard for the colonial clothes that could withstand the Indonesian climate and the endless cleaning that was required.

In the first pic, at the bottom there's a Homburg-looking hat they call a Double terai, and if you look at the D.T. in the Dutch catalog it kind of looks as if the lower brim curves around the top one. Any thoughts about that ?

In the French catalog there's a nice version of the Chapeau en toile that was discussed a few pages ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo