Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Raider

One of the Regulars
Raider said:
Baggers,
I have the same WPG boots and a pair of their green wool breeches. I need some khaki! I was very pleased with the breeches. The boots were a little less than what I was hoping for....but (on reflection) great for the price.

I need to re-state my evaluation of my WPG boots....When I said they were less than what I was hoping for, I believe I sounded more critical than I intended....The boots were completely "as advertised".......through the website and personal communication (email) with the owner I was told that the boots were a good replication of General Patton's three strap boots, but would never be mistaken for a pair of Dehner's. In that regard they were everything I had been told...I think I was probably hoping for a better than advertised boot. That being said, I would buy from WPG (and have) again. I love the wool breeches and plan on buying the cotton.

It's a theme that seems to be repeated in so many manufactured items, to get the quality that was available in the past you have to pay what seems to be extreme sums of money. We see that they don't make leather like that any more, they don't make that style fabric any more, that don't make that out of metal anymore, they don't have these details anymore. We may be headed to a streamlined, low quality, inexpensive version of pretty much everything.

There are some areas where things are better in a technological sense, but a lot of the regular old items don't match what we had in the past. Things disappear, foods don't taste like they used to, and items are only made to be a representation of the past.

Mike K.

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
If I recall right all it takes for hypothermia to set in when wearing wet cotton is a change to drop temps in the 60's farenheit or in the low 70's with windy conditions. At those temps the problem is that people do not recognize the dangers. I also seem to recall that scuba divers even in "warm" waters one has to limit the time in the water as it sucks your body heat out and you can become exhausted from that.
You are absolutely correct John. As a divemaster I have had to spend as much as 3 continuous hours underwater helping instruct new divers. This was in a pool, at least 85 degrees, and wearing a full 3mm wetsuit. Water really does draw body heat and I was freezing by the end of the training sessions.

So the problem is not so much whether it's cotton, wool, polartec fleece, or even neoprene. If you get wet and stay that way, even the slightest amount, then you can have a problem.

...and yes, it is more a mantra than an argument. :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So here is a question for everyone regarding classic natural materials, how do you feel about leather (properly waterproofed) instead of Goretex for outerwear in cold wet conditions? Reason I ask is because I am contemplating getting rid of my Goretex winter apparel in exchange for a nice shearling parka.

Mike K.

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
There are some areas where things are better in a technological sense, but a lot of the regular old items don't match what we had in the past. Things disappear, foods don't taste like they used to, and items are only made to be a representation of the past.
Thank goodness for the Fedora Lounge and its members for helping to preserve the better things of years gone by!

Burton

One of the Regulars
I agree that times have changed and it is damned difficult to obtain anything of quality these days and to do so requires much research and money. After reading the last few postings I see that most of us would like to stay with natural fibers for our adventure clothing. I will say again that after much experimentation I have used some synthetics mixed with other articles containing natural fibers in places such as New Guinea, the Amazon and Africa. I found the synthetics to be tougher and to dry much faster then natural fibers. They also have some drawbacks but I can at least throw out the concern for style as the audiance in those places is relatively forgiving.

After spending a year traveling all over Iraq I was introduced to the synthetic t-shirt. I tried them and liked them as they could be washed and dried so easily. They do have drawbacks (like melting on you in very bad situations).

I do not want to argue for synthetics but to at least point out their applications. In normal life I wouldnt be caught dead in the stuff.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Gijoe said:
The Anorak is a swedish Arctic Parka. You can find it from time to time on ebay.uk. I replaced the nylon cords with cotton cords.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Swedish-Army-SNOW-PARKA-4-Shooting-Stalking-XL-XXL-T644_W0QQitemZ260395098544QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_LE?hash=item3ca0c1e1b0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1683|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Here a few pics from climbing on the " Eiger Nordwand" 1938.
Some of the mountain climbers wears Army Snow Anoraks and windproof trousers.

2-eiger-erstesbiwak-voerg.jpg

eiger_erstbesteigung.jpg

a3e69ef6ff95a34dad7303cbf0c3da14_image_document_large_featured_borderless.jpg

thanks for the photo's GI Joe, looking good. Have just watched Nordwald (North Face) quite a moving film but loved the gear. I think vintage is the way forward on some of my future walks to the hill's however I cannot see my wife in this gear!!!

CAC-HB005Ladies_GuidesMerdeGlacec1886WM.jpg

Photo from the Alpine Club website http://www.alpine-club.org.uk/photolibrary/album.html

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Advice please...

This year I will be undertaking Duke of Edinburgh Award; for those who aren't familiar with this it's a challenge with three stages (bronze, silver and gold) which is done by youths in the UK, with the Duke being the patron of it. The most important part is an expedition, which at gold level is four days and in my case in Dartmoor. The chances are that the biggest risk will be heavy rain (reducing visibility to a few metres I'm told) and hypothermia.

Here's the kit list: http://www.dofe.org/go/expeditionkit/ Reading through the debate on natural vs synthetic fibres I'm led to wonder what is best for me to use.

I have gortex walking boots which have always served me well so far, though the walking I've done in them has never been as challenging as Dartmoor is likely to be.

The poly-cotton trousers I have are fairly waterproof and very rapidly drying. Is a mixed cloth like this perhaps the best solution to the natural/synthetic fibre problem?

I usually wear pure cotton long sleeved shirts and woolen sweaters, which I guess should work OK. I have plastic overtrousers and a plastic waterproof which is completely unbreathable, but has the advantage of being completely waterproof and that I can take it off if I'm uncomfortable (plus there's no lining so water can't be absorbed on the inside).

The only other thing I'm unsure about is which hat to wear. I could buy myself a new Tilley, get another Akubra (perhaps a Banjo Patterson or a Riverina) or wear my tweed deerstalker. The last one appeals to me because I can take it off and put my hood up if it starts torrentially raining. However Akubras seem to be great hats, though I'm unsure if even they can survive for four days of potentially constant rain.

Could anyone with more outdoor experience than me advise me what's best and whether what I have works?

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
avedwards said:
This year I will be undertaking Duke of Edinburgh Award; for those who aren't familiar with this it's a challenge with three stages (bronze, silver and gold) which is done by youths in the UK, with the Duke being the patron of it. The most important part is an expedition, which at gold level is four days and in my case in Dartmoor. The chances are that the biggest risk will be heavy rain (reducing visibility to a few metres I'm told) and hypothermia.

Here's the kit list: http://www.dofe.org/go/expeditionkit/ Reading through the debate on natural vs synthetic fibres I'm led to wonder what is best for me to use.

I have gortex walking boots which have always served me well so far, though the walking I've done in them has never been as challenging as Dartmoor is likely to be.

The poly-cotton trousers I have are fairly waterproof and very rapidly drying. Is a mixed cloth like this perhaps the best solution to the natural/synthetic fibre problem?

I usually wear pure cotton long sleeved shirts and woolen sweaters, which I guess should work OK. I have plastic overtrousers and a plastic waterproof which is completely unbreathable, but has the advantage of being completely waterproof and that I can take it off if I'm uncomfortable (plus there's no lining so water can't be absorbed on the inside).

The only other thing I'm unsure about is which hat to wear. I could buy myself a new Tilley, get another Akubra (perhaps a Banjo Patterson or a Riverina) or wear my tweed deerstalker. The last one appeals to me because I can take it off and put my hood up if it starts torrentially raining. However Akubras seem to be great hats, though I'm unsure if even they can survive for four days of potentially constant rain.

Could anyone with more outdoor experience than me advise me what's best and whether what I have works?

Hello Mr Alan

There is a big debate on Gortex boots vs Leather if you want a real in depth debate try this site

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/

The same goes for cotton vs wool vs manmade fibre, polycotton being fast drying is the key I guess.

As for a hat, I have always used a tilley or tweed cap for wet weather, I have an Akubra Safari and I love the hat, not sure I would use it on Dartmoor for four days, not that's is the hat, I just do not want to ruin it in anyway, it's been around the world with me like an old friend I guess. However, look at this photo. The tweed would be practical and stylish though. I also fancy the wool panzer trousers GI Joe mentioned. In anycase have a good time and hope you pass.:)

000530PA_WM.jpg

19th century climbing group on glacier: Emile Rey, H S Hoare, Von Bergen, unidentified woman,

William Edward Davidson, C D Cunningham and Hans Jaun

QMcK

Familiar Face
Avedwards: Two of my friends did the Duke of Edinburgh Award program. I think they quite enjoyed it.

One of my friends (who is something of an outdoors man and who did the award) regularly wears a leather hat *similar* to this one: http://www.australianhats.com.au/burke-wills-thompson-buffalo-leather-p-217.html Water resistant.

And I bought an Aussie oilskin hat recently. It hasn't seen much use yet. A friend was wearing it when we were caught out in the rain once. The water really does bead up on it. (Kodiak http://www.outbacktrading.com/oilskin_hats_2009.html). I was wearing this another of my hats: http://www.outbacktrading.com/1476_2009_detail.html. Which was also good. It's water resistant, although it doesn't look it. The perforations don't seem to let the water in (what we were caught out in was not torrential, just reasonably heavy. Plus we weren't in it for terribly long).

Good luck!

-----------------------------

I'll just add - that "canvas river guide with mesh" is quite stiff, despite it being canvas.

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
Try wearing two pairs of socks - the pair closest to the skin should be thinner, the one closest to the boot being thicker. Silk socks with cotton or wool socks over them (in your climate, wool would probably work better) help keep the blisters away.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Alexi said:
what's the deal with antler topped shooting sticks?

It suggests one's stalked stags, dontcha know. Or something. They top walking sticks with bits of antler here in the UK, and probably in Europe too.

Looks good and nice to hold on to.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
avedwards said:

Your trip sounds like a great time, I've read of the D of E awards and the program sounds wonderful.

A couple of notes:
Skip the cotton shirts. In wet weather these will never dry and a wet, cold cotton shirt next to your skin is a great way to get hypothermia. I prefer merino wool for this purpose, but syntetics work fine as well and synthetics will dry faster if you get lots of rain.

I am not a fan of gore tex boots, but if you have a pair which works for you I wouldn't switch for the sake of switching.

Poly-cotton trousers - maybe. Would not be my first choice but you do have waterproof over-trousers to wear in the rain. I would be certain to have synthetic or wool long underwear regardless of what trousers you wear. An inexpensive option may be a pair of wool dress pants from a thrift store. The cut is generally favorable, the pockets are genereally deep and they are lightweight. I took a pair of dress pants and made them into cycling knickers and they are wonderful to wear.

Hats - tilleys are great, but if they get wet they will take forever and a day to dry. The deerstalker may be the way to go.

Socks - wool socks are your best friend. The merino wool versions are wonderful, I used to use ragg wool socks in the past and much prefer merino wool socks. Wool socks will do a better job of soaking up foot sweat than silk or synthetics. Avoid cotton in socks like you would avoid the plague.

I didn't look at the gear list closely but a couple of items worth their weight in gold; fingerless wool, or fleece, gloves and a wool, or fleece, balaclava. I never head into the bush without these two items even in the heat of summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats