Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Oshie

New in Town
Hi All,

Would anyone be able to help me identify the name of the style of this Borsalino and what material it’s made from?
Thank so much.

image-jpg.267744

image-jpg.267743
image-jpg.267742

Hi All,

Would anyone be able to help me identify the name of the style of this Borsalino and what material it’s made from?
Thank so much.

image-jpg.267744

image-jpg.267743
image-jpg.267742

The t looks like a plain-jane raw edge recent manufacture Borsalino fedora. I’d bet it’s rabbit or a rabbit and hare fur felt mix. Not sure on the model name. These are not anything like the vintage Borsalinos we like so much around here. The good part is that I’ve bought maybe eight hats just like the one in your photos for $20 to $60 in excellent condition on the used market. They aren’t very good hats, but with some patience they can be found cheap (I use alcohol and a cotton ball to remove the gold “Borsalino” printed on the bow).

Jacora

Familiar Face
There's a hat on Hats.com and Amazon that just goes by "Borsalino Men 400001 Fur Felt Fedora". There's no name to the style, just a SKU number. Is this legit? Supposed to be 100% rabbit fur with a larger 2-3/4" brim. Can't find such a beast on the Borsalino website. But if it's the real deal, I think I want one.

There's a hat on Hats.com and Amazon that just goes by "Borsalino Men 400001 Fur Felt Fedora". There's no name to the style, just a SKU number. Is this legit? Supposed to be 100% rabbit fur with a larger 2-3/4" brim. Can't find such a beast on the Borsalino website. But if it's the real deal, I think I want one.

If Amazon is selling it I’m sure it’s the “real deal,” but modern Borsalino is a pale shadow of what it was. They held out longer than most and when Stetson et al were making truly horrible hats in the later 1960s and into the ‘70s, and ‘80s Borsalino...had declined, but hadn’t fallen off the cliff. These recent hats are what they are, and I have a few of them. Don’t expect much and you won’t be disappointed. I should add that they have all ran small on me: at least one size and sometimes a lot more than one size. Weird.

Oshie

New in Town
The t looks like a plain-jane raw edge recent manufacture Borsalino fedora. I’d bet it’s rabbit or a rabbit and hare fur felt mix. Not sure on the model name. These are not anything like the vintage Borsalinos we like so much around here. The good part is that I’ve bought maybe eight hats just like the one in your photos for $20 to $60 in excellent condition on the used market. They aren’t very good hats, but with some patience they can be found cheap (I use alcohol and a cotton ball to remove the gold “Borsalino” printed on the bow).
Th
Thanks. However the person who sold it to me told me it’s made from beaver! Is that possible?

Pair' a dimes... that's what a fine quality Borsalino cost on the American market when this hat was made, though I suspect this one did not cost that much and it was sold in Italy... but it does represent a paradigm to me in what a hat should be and do on my head. It is one of my first vintage hat purchases - from a former lounge member I believe who sold it on eBay. The late 1950s profile with its narrow brim, mid-ribbon and ample crown is a look I love. The felt on this feather-weight is remarkable for its razor thin profile and tight structure. Unlike some light hats, it takes a shape very well and holds it. American makers of this era were off doing something completely different with their offerings. If I had traveled to Europe at that time I would certainly be one of those who visited Salvatore Balbi's popular shop in Naples to bring home a dress hat in a little coffin box. This hat has been well worn by its previous owners, in fine shape but not pristine. I seem to remember it cost me seven dimes, with shipping included. Alas, when I stepped outside today I realized that a featheweight was not a wise choice for today's winds. Quickly switched to a basque beret for my morning walk.

100720_1.jpg

100720_2.jpg

100720_3.jpg

100720_4.jpg

100720_5.jpg

100720_6.jpg

Pair' a dimes... that's what a fine quality Borsalino cost on the American market when this hat was made, though I suspect this one did not cost that much and it was sold in Italy... but it does represent a paradigm to me in what a hat should be and do on my head. It is one of my first vintage hat purchases - from a former lounge member I believe who sold it on eBay. The late 1950s profile with its narrow brim, mid-ribbon and ample crown is a look I love. The felt on this feather-weight is remarkable for its razor thin profile and tight structure. Unlike some light hats, it takes a shape very well and holds it. American makers of this era were off doing something completely different with their offerings. If I had traveled to Europe at that time I would certainly be one of those who visited Salvatore Balbi's popular shop in Naples to bring home a dress hat in a little coffin box. This hat has been well worn by its previous owners, in fine shape but not pristine. I seem to remember it cost me seven dimes, with shipping included. Alas, when I stepped outside today I realized that a featheweight was not a wise choice for today's winds. Quickly switched to a basque beret for my morning walk.

100720_1.jpg

100720_2.jpg

100720_3.jpg

100720_4.jpg

100720_5.jpg

100720_6.jpg
Alan, Super! The mid ribbon type with the edging is fantastic. I noticed that right away. :)

100720_1.jpg

100720_2.jpg

100720_3.jpg

100720_4.jpg

100720_5.jpg

100720_6.jpg
Some superb Borsalino hatmaking on display there, Alan.

Well, missed out on one both of a pair identical hats that were on auction this week. Might have been I was outbid by a member and the hat)s) will surface here at some moment., but just for posterity, here are the auction pics. Not mine, but I post them anyway because of the rarity of this colour.
Borsalino Erodispo in Cobalto colour. Qualitá Extra Extra Superiore. Someone wanted it more than me (damn).

cobalto4.png
cobalto3.png
cobalto1.jpg
cobalto2.jpg

Another one of exactly the same colour and model and retailer was posted at the same time (by the same seller). The only difference was the number on the label in upper right corner.
cobaltob4.jpg

Well, missed out on one both of a pair identical hats that were on auction this week. Might have been I was outbid by a member and the hat)s) will surface here at some moment., but just for posterity, here are the auction pics. Not mine, but I post them anyway because of the rarity of this colour.
Borsalino Erodispo in Cobalto colour. Qualitá Extra Extra Superiore. Someone wanted it more than me (damn).

View attachment 268326 View attachment 268325 View attachment 268323 View attachment 268324

Another one of exactly the same colour and model and retailer was posted at the same time (by the same seller). The only difference was the number on the label in upper right corner.
View attachment 268327
That one certainly had my attention.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This Borsalino is a perfect example of Italian hat from the late 40's and early 1950's
borsalino-condor-2-jpg.268825

As new/old stock was bought by the engineer who sold it to me in the Seventies
borsalino-condor-3-jpg.268828

Borsalino Qualità Extra Extra Superiore size 6 1/2 or 60 cm. and this is a true one of its size
borsalino-condor-5-jpg.268829

The felt is very light and therefore bears the wording "Z" on the front of the sweatband, it weighs about 90 grams
borsalino-condor-interno-totale-jpg.268830

The felt is very soft and highly malleable, once shaped it stays in place

The color is "Condor" and the type "Ecosca". The sweat band is in excellent shape, but the seam is fragile and some stitches have melted as seen in the photo of the paper label.
borsalino-condor-6-jpg.268832

The measurements are as follows. Raw brim at 6 cm., the open crown at 13.5 cm. and the ribbon is of average width cm. 3
borsalino-condor-1-jpg.268833

In this Borsalino the ribbon matches the color of the felt which, in my memory, is rare.
An example of elegance :)

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Another disguise, this time is a product of "Cappelleria Cervo" disguised and marked as Borsalino
Borsalino Ardilla 1.jpg

This "exchange of favors" occurred when one of the companies ran out of material or time to deliver finished hatsor without a specific type of felt or finish, here the camouflage operation was so fast that the label of the real manufacturer remained
Borsalino Ardilla etichetta carta.jpg
Another remaining stock bought in the Seventies.
Borsalino Ardilla interno totale.jpg

Borsalino Ardilla size 59 cm
Borsalino Ardilla 4.jpg

The felt is light, weighs about 100 grams
Borsalino Ardilla 6.jpg

The felt is very soft and highly malleable, finished with a medium-sized fur.
The color is green with a light green ribbon to decorate it.
Borsalino Ardilla 2.jpg

The measurements are as follows. Raw brim at 6 cm., The open crown at 13.5 cm. and the ribbon is width cm. 4
Borsalino Ardilla 3.jpg

This Borsalino-Cervo is a perfect example of collaboration, rare, in the war between Italian hats producers

This Borsalino is a perfect example of Italian hat from the late 40's and early 1950's
borsalino-condor-2-jpg.268825

As new/old stock was bought by the engineer who sold it to me in the Seventies
borsalino-condor-3-jpg.268828

Borsalino Qualità Extra Extra Superiore size 6 1/2 or 60 cm. and this is a true one of its size
borsalino-condor-5-jpg.268829

The felt is very light and therefore bears the wording "Z" on the front of the sweatband, it weighs about 90 grams
borsalino-condor-interno-totale-jpg.268830

The felt is very soft and highly malleable, once shaped it stays in place

The color is "Condor" and the type "Ecosca". The sweat band is in excellent shape, but the seam is fragile and some stitches have melted as seen in the photo of the paper label.
borsalino-condor-6-jpg.268832

The measurements are as follows. Raw brim at 6 cm., the open crown at 13.5 cm. and the ribbon is of average width cm. 3
borsalino-condor-1-jpg.268833

In this Borsalino the ribbon matches the color of the felt which, in my memory, is rare.
An example of elegance :)
Another disguise, this time is a product of "Cappelleria Cervo" disguised and marked as Borsalino
View attachment 268837
This "exchange of favors" occurred when one of the companies ran out of material or time to deliver finished hatsor without a specific type of felt or finish, here the camouflage operation was so fast that the label of the real manufacturer remained
View attachment 268839
Another remaining stock bought in the Seventies.
View attachment 268843
Borsalino Ardilla size 59 cm
View attachment 268838
The felt is light, weighs about 100 grams
View attachment 268840
The felt is very soft and highly malleable, finished with a medium-sized fur.
The color is green with a light green ribbon to decorate it.
View attachment 268841
The measurements are as follows. Raw brim at 6 cm., The open crown at 13.5 cm. and the ribbon is width cm. 4
View attachment 268842
This Borsalino-Cervo is a perfect example of collaboration, rare, in the war between Italian hats producers
Some great finds, Daniele. Very satisfying to bring home a haul like that.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
German market Borsalino snapbrim with bound edge in pristine condition. Deep chocolate brown felt which takes any dry crease well.

Size 57.5 cm
Front height 11.5 cm
Brim 6.5 cm

Made for hat store "Carl Kellner - Hamburg".

I guess the label inside denotes a date of 1938.

BorsoHamburg (7).jpg
BorsoHamburg (2).jpg BorsoHamburg (1).jpg BorsoHamburg (12).jpg BorsoHamburg (11).jpg BorsoHamburg (4).jpg

Last edited:
German market Borsalino snapbrim with bound edge in pristine condition. Deep chocolate brown felt which takes any dry crease well.

Size 57.5 cm
Front height 11.5 cm
Brim 6.5 cm

Made for hat store "Carl Kellner - Hamburg".

I guess the label inside denotes a date of 1938.

View attachment 273562
View attachment 273448 View attachment 273449 View attachment 273450 View attachment 273451 View attachment 273452
How have I missed this one before? Spectacular hat and a great find!

I always get a bit excited if I find a new Borsalino model. Steve @Steve1857 didn't bid because he thought it wouldn't fit him (he was right), so I could land this one cheap. The seller's pictures had it looking in a bit of a state (that helps).
Borsalino lobbia Eglesti in black. Size 57 with the brim at 6cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent. It is a bit lower than the far more common Gulaela model lobbia.
Imported by Petitgas of Copenhagen, which is more or less on Steve's doorstep.

borsalino eglesti_01.jpg
borsalino eglesti_02.jpg
borsalino eglesti_03.jpg
borsalino eglesti_04.jpg
borsalino eglesti_06.jpg
borsalino eglesti_07.jpg
borsalino eglesti_08.jpg
borsalino eglesti_09.jpg
borsalino eglesti_10.jpg
borsalino eglesti_11.jpg

My initials were already in it: it was meant to be it seems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana