Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Borsalino Homburg "Echter"

Echter Borsalino Homburg, size 6 Punti. I am thinking 1930s on this one. The sweatband has some cracking issues and was cut down so might get it replaced and have the trolley cord fixed. Other than that it is in decent shape.

5199635350_2587aedf43_b.jpg

5199638338_05cc0d456c_b.jpg

5199642066_600b1370b8_b.jpg

5199630250_651111ce1f_b.jpg

5199034447_66c08b4201_b.jpg

5199630040_0ccd0aedf0_b.jpg

DRB

One Too Many
Steve, I like the color of that one. Looks brownish red to me. Very nice appealing color.

Last edited:
Greetings and a couple of old hats

Greetings! I've enjoyed drifting through the forum posts in recent days and thought I would share an introduction and story from a recent hat buying frenzy.

I've enjoyed hats for many years. For the past decade, I had a very close relationship with a Tilley hat that I wore constantly... until I lost it somehow a few weeks ago. I wound up buying another (a story for another post) but the experience moved me to look at my old vintage hats and hunt for some new options. A week or two later I returned with a couple of new hats and a few ebay purchases, including two very lovely older Borsalinos. The featherweight is my favorite - a beautiful hat from Salvatore Balbi's shop in Naples...simple, incredibly light and comfortable. The second hat was advertised as 1930s (aren't they all?)... probably not, but it does have a handsome gangster swagger and a relatively narrow brim that my small head favors. Both are in fine shape for hats that are a decade or two or three older than I am. I wish my details were as well preserved! Enclosing a few pictures - I hope you enjoy. Thanks for all the helpful knowledge shared here!

Alan

featherweight2.jpg

featherweight3.jpg

featherweight5.jpg

featherweight_inside.jpg

gangster1.jpg

gangster2.jpg

gangster_inside.jpg

gangster3.jpg

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Welcome, Adam! Those are some great hats, and some pretty fantastic photos. I always have a hard time describing good pictures... Something about the clarity in the foreground versus background, shadows, something... Looks great, though.

Cheers,

azshawn

Familiar Face
Greetings! I've enjoyed drifting through the forum posts in recent days and thought I would share an introduction and story from a recent hat buying frenzy.

I've enjoyed hats for many years. For the past decade, I had a very close relationship with a Tilley hat that I wore constantly... until I lost it somehow a few weeks ago. I wound up buying another (a story for another post) but the experience moved me to look at my old vintage hats and hunt for some new options. A week or two later I returned with a couple of new hats and a few ebay purchases, including two very lovely older Borsalinos. The featherweight is my favorite - a beautiful hat from Salvatore Balbi's shop in Naples...simple, incredibly light and comfortable. The second hat was advertised as 1930s (aren't they all?)... probably not, but it does have a handsome gangster swagger and a relatively narrow brim that my small head favors. Both are in fine shape for hats that are a decade or two or three older than I am. I wish my details were as well preserved! Enclosing a few pictures - I hope you enjoy. Thanks for all the helpful knowledge shared here!

Alan

gangster1.jpg

gangster2.jpg

Wow, beautfiul hats! Welcome to the forum! I got to handle my first vintage Borsalino this past weekend, the quality is amazing. I love both of the hats you pictured, but I really love the second one with the wide ribbon. Wear them in good health!

How nice to have a date stamp! I haven't found anything on or under the leather band that can be clearly decoded to date my two hats. I am quite certain that both are older than I am, which is a novel and enjoyable experience these days!

I did also purchase recently two new Borsalino hats - an unlined crushable model and a Como - both in taupe. They are interesting to compare. The felt on both the new hats is softer and thicker, but the feel still speaks of quality. The inside craftsmanship cannot begin to compare with the vintage hats - a different animal altogether (as has been covered in many posts on this thread and elsewhere.) It is quite wonderful that many fine vintage hats with much of their life left in them remain available... a side benefit of the fedora's decline in popularity over the past 7 decades.

One thing that I find amazing in these Borsalinos both old and new is the weight... so light! They range from just over 2 ounces for the Balbi featherweight to about 3.5 ounces for the modern Como. All are much lighter than anything else I have in my closet... guess I'll save those heavyweights for the gusty days.

cheers,
Alan

new Borsalino Como:

new_borso.jpg

Last edited:

One Too Many
How nice to have a date stamp! I haven't found anything on or under the leather band that can be clearly decoded to date my two hats. I am quite certain that both are older than I am, which is a novel and enjoyable experience these days!

I did also purchase recently two new Borsalino hats - an unlined crushable model and a Como - both in taupe. They are interesting to compare. The felt on both the new hats is softer and thicker, but the feel still speaks of quality. The inside craftsmanship cannot begin to compare with the vintage hats - a different animal altogether (as has been covered in many posts on this thread and elsewhere.) It is quite wonderful that many fine vintage hats with much of their life left in them remain available... a side benefit of the fedora's decline in popularity over the past 7 decades.

One thing that I find amazing in these Borsalinos both old and new is the weight... so light! They range from just over 2 ounces for the Balbi featherweight to about 3.5 ounces for the modern Como. All are much lighter than anything else I have in my closet... guess I'll save those heavyweights for the gusty days.

cheers,
Alan

new Borsalino Como:

new_borso.jpg
Alan this Borsa" looks very nice on you, that hat is one of my favourite ¡¡¡¡

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou