Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Borsalino source

forstorp

New in Town
I have a great story to tell you all that is like a true dream come true narrative.

This was before Xmas and I saw this little ad in the major newspaper of this capital in the little Nordic kingdom where somebody wanted to sell a Borsalino hat. Since I am on my watch for ads like that I called and talked to this older gentleman. I asked him about the style and when he said 'they are snap brim' I realized that this man commanded the lingo of the trade. We agreed on a meeting at his place and it turned out that he lives in this wealthy suburb by the sea. As were the plan, I called him from the train station saying that I was on my way and at the same time he took his car to meet me up. I will take my wifes car, he said. When I asked what brand it was I heard him turn away shouting for his wife 'What brand is your car?'. Anyway, I came to the little station in this suburb of large houses and he was standing there with a little white car waiting for me.

In the car he told me that he have been working with hats for years and I thought that was great and started to ask him questions about the trade and the changing times and the demise of the hat culture in this country (Stockholm would score at the very bottom in any comparative hat watching contest). We arrived at his house, still talking. This man was probably 80+ and he was coughing from too much smoking tobacco. All in all he did not seem very healthy, but he certainly cheered up when I showed interest in his experiences of the trade, and he started to cheer up and tell stories of his life. In the house, his wife was waiting for us. They showed me into this little room, which was like a small office that had not been used for some time. On a shelf I saw not one hat, but two piles (c:a ten in each pile) of hats stocked on top of each others in oval plastic buckets with the logo Borsalino on them.

It turned out that this man started out in the 'last' hat factory in this country (Karlskrona hattfabrik) as a boy and when the factory closed down he became an agent for european hatters. He started the agency in the late 50s and were in the trade for more than 40 years as a salesman. All in all he was the agent for 16 different brands, providing the whole countrys men's stores and hat stores with hats. In the late 70s the market died, but he kept on for some years with his wife until it was time to retire.

From the piles in the office I started to try on the hats. I am a 57 and it turned out that most of the hats were my size! So I could just pick and choose. They were all Borsalinos probably from different time periods. When he and his wife noticed my enthusiasm, they brought new piles of hats into the office, mostly Borsalinos, but also German Wegeners, British Christy's and Lock's, and Italian Barbisios and Panizzas. They also showed me the place they were stored, stacked in piles up against a wall in another room in the basement: probably hundreds of them: felt hats, antelopes, pure velour, straw hats, you name it.

I picked out three Borsalinos for a start (a grey, unlined fedora; a blue-greay with slightly shorter brim: finally a faboulus darker green velour with plenty of 'XXXXX' inside the sweatband). He commented upon the last one 'You will never find another one like that'. And the price: dirt cheap, I payed c.a 100 Euro (actually we are not part of the EMU in this country, but just to make it easier toexplain in this forum) for the three of them.

If I am going back? You bet I will! And I hope you enjoy the story! :cool:

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hejså Forstorp!

Hej Forstorp, I live in Århus(soon København), Denmark, my Mother in law lives in
Jakobsberg, Stockholm- I visit there often- you'll have to show me this place...

I think I've probably seen proportionatley as many or more Fedoras on heads on my visits to Sthm as I've seen here- a few, mostly on younger guys and Nerd/Geek types. You can't buy a good hat in this town...
Hej då,
BellyTank.

Yeah yeah sure. :rolleyes:
If you happen to run across a few 61s in Borsalino, Christy or Lock with 2 1/2" brims let me know. I could use a few dozen. :p
I am sure he would like to get rid of such big sizes because the market is small. :cool2: How much do you think shipping would be? ;-)
Are you sure this wasn't a dream? I need smelling salts. :p

Regards to all,

J

forstorp

New in Town
This was not a dream! It was just an amazing thing that probably only happend once in a life time, and it is only a hat lover who can appreciate a story such as this.
I would we happy to share this source with BellyTank from Ã…rhus who can then help me corroborate the story. I eill try to provide som pixs, at least of the hats I bought so you can see them

The reason why this man has so many hats is, I think, the following: he and his wife has been in the trade, as I told, for many hears. The worked together so that she took care of the hats, i.e. brushed them and displayed them in the showroom while the husband was out meeting customers. They traveled by car to Alessandria, Italy at least twice a year and brought back hats in the car (the bulk of it, of course, was sent in another way). The man really loves hats and he has saved some precious items: like his first hat, the most beautiful hat, etc. Over the years this collection, along with his source of sample hats, have grown. As I mentioned, they are old and the man is perhaps not even quite healthy. I guess they are planning to move from their house. None of their grown up kids have any interest in the hats whatsoever. And I figured he did not just want to give the hats away, so he tries to sell some of them out. I talked to him about the opportunity of donating the collection to a museum - but then I regretted I said that, because then all those nice hats would be forever taken out of circulation. Instead, I thought maybe I should give him an offer on the whole collection.

:)

forstorp

New in Town
BellyTank said:
Hej Forstorp, I live in Århus(soon København), Denmark, my Mother in law lives in
Jakobsberg, Stockholm- I visit there often- you'll have to show me this place...

I think I've probably seen proportionatley as many or more Fedoras on heads on my visits to Sthm as I've seen here- a few, mostly on younger guys and Nerd/Geek types. You can't buy a good hat in this town...
Hej då,
BellyTank.

Hej BellyTank,

give me a notification next time you are in the vicinity and we could pay a visit together to the Borsalino source. That would be great!

I don't know much about Ã…rhus (although I am going there within a month) but at least I know there is one decent hat shop in Copenhagen. In Stockholm, believe it or not, there is just one (I say one) shop specializing in hats. They have both men's and ladies. The selection is quite small, mainly German Maysers, some crushable Stetsons (but no Temples or even any fur felts), some Akubras in the outback style and some Panama hats. Apart from this, some of the finer men's stores carry hats. But usually the selection is very small and they usually only have one style (which happens to be Borsalino). We really live in the periphery when it comes to hats (at least hats with brims and crown - most of the kids sport basbeall caps and wollen caps).

Cheers!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
It's bad here for hats too- like in Sthlm, the "better" menswear shops have a few but that has now dwindled- a few crusher, rainproof Borsa's on sale and some Portugese made grey "Bogarts", pretty sad...
I'll let you know next time I'm in Jakobsberg for sure-
What's the shop in KBN called?
Where abouts in Stockholm are you?

BT.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
You could become his "distributor," and help him sell off those hats. I'm sure there might be one or two guys here that might be interested in old hats! :)

Welcome to the Lounge!

Brad

forstorp

New in Town
BellyTank said:
It's bad here for hats too- like in Sthlm, the "better" menswear shops have a few but that has now dwindled- a few crusher, rainproof Borsa's on sale and some Portugese made grey "Bogarts", pretty sad...
I'll let you know next time I'm in Jakobsberg for sure-
What's the shop in KBN called?
Where abouts in Stockholm are you?

BT.
Hi BellyTank, the situation in Århus seems as bad as in Stockholm. The shop I know in Copenhagen is on a side street from Ströget. Walking from Rådhusplatsen along Ströget this shop is on one of the fairly busy side streets to the left, approximately 69 blocks down from Rådhusplatsen. I have only been there once but I liked what I saw.
In Stockholm I live south of the city but work in the city centre.

best regards and hoping to hear from you!

forstorp

New in Town
Brad Bowers said:
You could become his "distributor," and help him sell off those hats. I'm sure there might be one or two guys here that might be interested in old hats! :)

Welcome to the Lounge!

Brad

Actually, that is not a bad idea! Thanks for suggesting that. I would hate to see the beautiful collection go away from us. But, I am not sure about the rules here on fedora lounge when it comes to selling things. Is there a specific thread for that?

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Hey Forstep:

Very interesting.

Between you and BellyTank, I'd be curious, where is there a market for fedoras in Europe? Italy would be the first guess, but not sure these days. what about France? I also have a suspicion that one would see more hats in Poland and the Eastern European countries of Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia, maybe Romania or Bulgaria.

What do the two of you think?

G

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Well G., there are of course people wearing hats here(DK) and in Sverige but they're not really the vintage lifestyle or otherwise kool types- just people wearing average hats. I guess with me and Forstorp being in Europe, the hats we see can come from the surrounding countries- no hat shops here(local, regional) but there are in CPH of course.
Yes, of course France, Spain, Germany, Austria,Czech Switzerland and Italy but Poland is actually pretty big in hats.
Don't remember seeing any hats of quality in Romania or Bulgaria.

I'll keep my good eye open,
BT.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Forstorp: Oh, lord, that would be a dream come true. And I am a size 57.

Except, if it was my dream, I would find the guy with all the hats and then discover I had no money on me.

I think you ought to consider distribution. I bet you could sell most of it to the folks on this site!

karol

forstorp

New in Town
gcollins said:
Hey Forstep:

Very interesting.

Between you and BellyTank, I'd be curious, where is there a market for fedoras in Europe? Italy would be the first guess, but not sure these days. what about France? I also have a suspicion that one would see more hats in Poland and the Eastern European countries of Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia, maybe Romania or Bulgaria.

What do the two of you think?

G

Well, here is the Swedish side. In Stockholm, a city of approximately i, 2 million inhabitants, there is one (ONE) hat shop which, as I mentioned before, carry both womens and mens hats. Some of the finer men's stores carry hats too. Thus, there is not even a market for fedoras here.

I have my own speculations why this is the case, and maybe this interpretation holds valid for Denmark as well (fill me in here BellyTank). This is a very secularized country, the politics of equality and social democracy (which I personally am in favour of) have led to a a social climate where differences between classes are fairly reduced. There are certainly differences, and the equality is not as widespread as one would wish, but I believe this has to do with a lack of interest in hats. hats are associated with wealthy people and with upper classes. Hat as a symbol for the richer people is an old symbol in politics, in this country at least since the 18th century. To be a 'hat' here was synonymous with being a 'tory' in the UK. During the 20th century and the heydays of social democracy I believe that this process constinued to stigmatize the hat as something political and obsolete. There are more reasons too.

My wife is from Warszaw and she tells me that it is somewhat more common with hats there, despite their history of communisim. But the history of communism in Poland is a more recent phenomenon than the political processes relevant for Scandinavia described above. When Poland now changes, it is a country which quickly runs into market liberalism and where the powerful of bygone days can yet again become powerful. In Warszaw there are several local hat shops, and even local manufacturers. I have a place where I regularly by my linen caps and they are actually made in the little shop. Last time I was there I was not that interested in brimmed hats so I cannot tell, but I have seen this guy on eBay from Poland who sells hats (they are said to be made in tweed which does not sound so great). But I agree with BellyTank that the countries he menitoned are more prominent in carrying hats. Although I was in Rome recently, where my son lives, and I must admit that I expected more from being in the country of Borsalino and Barbisio. Yes, certainly more fedoras than here, but not that many.

I am curious to hear your comment on this.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hej igen Forstorp!

Well, I think it's sad that not so many men are wearing hats nowadays but I'm positive there will be more of a noticeable renaissance in hat wearing- it is happening, listen to us- the vintage clothing/lifestyle movement is ever-growing, especially in Germany, France, Belgium, Sweden, where there are strong movements in Rockabilly, Swing, retro style hotrodding and the associated clothing and lifestyle... and hats being such a strong accessory.
It is a self feeding thing- once people see some kool hats and ask questions...
if people don't know where to get a hat, it's difficult to get one of course-
there will be a backlash to the Diesel(TM) "street fashion" thing and the general lack of resourcefullness in clothes shopping- individualism will come back...
it is the individualists that start/revive these things. I do think however that Europeans in general are fairly self-conscious-

London must have just about been the hat-wearing capitol of the world up until the '70s- all those bowler hats in the City- part of the uniform for the financial world. The English hat scene is pretty poor- most of the offering from the "Gentlemans Outfitters" are pretty floppy- not as classic as the American staple Fedoras.
I was to be in Stockholm for Easter but now(unfortunately?) my mother- out-law is coming here...
I'll have to check out Copenhagen for hats soon- Cph has a larger population than Stockholm, so maybe it has 2 hat shops. I know an ex-pat American hat collector who lives there actually.
I'm thinking of making a trip to Poland in the very near future- check out some vintage- maybe Estonia, Latvia and Lithuana too.
And yes Poles wear hats.

BT.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
forstorp said:
I have a great story to tell you all that is like a true dream come true narrative.

This was before Xmas and I saw this little ad in the major newspaper of this capital in the little Nordic kingdom where somebody wanted to sell a Borsalino hat. Since I am on my watch for ads like that I called and talked to this older gentleman. I asked him about the style and when he said 'they are snap brim' I realized that this man commanded the lingo of the trade. We agreed on a meeting at his place and it turned out that he lives in this wealthy suburb by the sea. As were the plan, I called him from the train station saying that I was on my way and at the same time he took his car to meet me up. I will take my wifes car, he said. When I asked what brand it was I heard him turn away shouting for his wife 'What brand is your car?'. Anyway, I came to the little station in this suburb of large houses and he was standing there with a little white car waiting for me.

In the car he told me that he have been working with hats for years and I thought that was great and started to ask him questions about the trade and the changing times and the demise of the hat culture in this country (Stockholm would score at the very bottom in any comparative hat watching contest). We arrived at his house, still talking. This man was probably 80+ and he was coughing from too much smoking tobacco. All in all he did not seem very healthy, but he certainly cheered up when I showed interest in his experiences of the trade, and he started to cheer up and tell stories of his life. In the house, his wife was waiting for us. They showed me into this little room, which was like a small office that had not been used for some time. On a shelf I saw not one hat, but two piles (c:a ten in each pile) of hats stocked on top of each others in oval plastic buckets with the logo Borsalino on them.

It turned out that this man started out in the 'last' hat factory in this country (Karlskrona hattfabrik) as a boy and when the factory closed down he became an agent for european hatters. He started the agency in the late 50s and were in the trade for more than 40 years as a salesman. All in all he was the agent for 16 different brands, providing the whole countrys men's stores and hat stores with hats. In the late 70s the market died, but he kept on for some years with his wife until it was time to retire.

From the piles in the office I started to try on the hats. I am a 57 and it turned out that most of the hats were my size! So I could just pick and choose. They were all Borsalinos probably from different time periods. When he and his wife noticed my enthusiasm, they brought new piles of hats into the office, mostly Borsalinos, but also German Wegeners, British Christy's and Lock's, and Italian Barbisios and Panizzas. They also showed me the place they were stored, stacked in piles up against a wall in another room in the basement: probably hundreds of them: felt hats, antelopes, pure velour, straw hats, you name it.

I picked out three Borsalinos for a start (a grey, unlined fedora; a blue-greay with slightly shorter brim: finally a faboulus darker green velour with plenty of 'XXXXX' inside the sweatband). He commented upon the last one 'You will never find another one like that'. And the price: dirt cheap, I payed c.a 100 Euro (actually we are not part of the EMU in this country, but just to make it easier toexplain in this forum) for the three of them.

If I am going back? You bet I will! And I hope you enjoy the story! :cool:

I'm a size 59 if you could check next time you go.
Thanks,

Roger :cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo