Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

Mr. Garrulus

One of the Regulars
Thank you for posting the additional photos! The "S.F." on the paper label could be the maker but no country of orgin. The green and white marks look like a chalk.

Yeah it's chalk on closer inspection but isn't that UK's Royal Coat of Arms? So it could be from UK originally...

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Here's a curiosity I picked up on Etsy. Wormser apparently ran out of shellac at some point, so they put some quote marks around the word "bowler" and made some of these softies.

imagehkw.jpg

imagepkuy.jpg

imagemym.jpg

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Here's a curiosity I picked up on Etsy. Wormser apparently ran out of shellac at some point, so they put some quote marks around the word "bowler" and made some of these softies.
In the 1959 Derby Revival, one style that gained some brief popularity was known as a Demi-Bowler, and it was really just a softer Derby that could be creased if desired. I bet that's what you've got there!

Brad

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
VERY cool, Randall! I've never seen something like that before. I wonder what kind of creases can be done with a bowler blocked hat. I was always curious about what would happen if one were to take a bowler, soak it in denatured alcohol to remove enough shellac to make it a soft hat. I guess without trying the experiment, this is the next best thing. Congrats on this rare find! :eusa_clap

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Kind words and enthusiasm much appreciated, gentlemen. It takes and retains whatever dents I wish, and does so with ease. Nice dense felt.

I don't recall seeing any ads for this style here on the Lounge, but I'll do some digging.

Last edited:
PH. Möckel Hutfabrik, Homburg vor der Höhe, Hoflieferant Sr. Maj. d. Kaisers u. Königs (Austria) und Sr. Maj. d. Königs v. England, measures about 59cm, 130 grams, probably pre WWI. In very good condition except for slight damage to the sweatband. Also rare stitched liner (only seen this once before) on a stiff felt hat. PH. Möckel Hutfabrik (1806) made the original Homburg style hat for King Edward the VII of England. I have only come across two old Möckels' (another Melone and Top Hat) and they were in very bad condition.

8192769065_4baea04fc6_b.jpg

8192772731_41c9ac6289_b.jpg

8192777605_067e701cd4_b.jpg

8192792261_31bcb167fe_b.jpg

8192863691_d540955f66_b.jpg

8192734007_9c69ea000b_b.jpg

8192732533_6cf742f646_b.jpg

7616247768_f250b18a42_b.jpg

Mrmicawber

New in Town
Hello all!

When you apply steam to your bowler to gently shape it to your head, do you do focus the steam along the ribbon, or along the under-edge where the brim meets the headband?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
+1. I've ruined a few sweatbands experimenting that way.

Steve, wow. That is a beauty of a bowler if I ever saw one. What really gets me, other than the stitched sweatband and everything else, is the dramatic sharpness of the D'Orsay. Well done!

Mrmicawber

New in Town
Thanks guys!

I'm looking at hat brushes, but it just occurred to me that I could use a lint roller, which I use on my suit and is infinitely superior to a brush. Is that what ya'll use as well? Or will a lint roller "pick up" the felt too much? My bowler is a vintage Lock, so it has a bit of a nap to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart