Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Adnamira

A-List Customer
I cannot comprehend why anyone would prefer a cylinder shaped lining inside an eight panel cap in preference to an eight panel lining. The eight panel lining is the same shape as the crown, and conforms to the shape, whereas the cylindrical linings are not and if not done well, exactly the right size, can bunch up and push the crown out of shape, and also cause problems with fit. Satin linings probably don't matter, but cylindrical cotton linings in an eight panel cap will cause problems with softer and lighter fabrics in the outer shell. The eight panel lining would take more effort to do, and I think that is why it isn't so common in eight panel caps. For me, eight panel cotton linings are luxury and polyester satin linings something to be tolerated reluctanly as they reduce the thermo-regulation properties of wool especially and make you sweat like a horse.

Zasu caps seem to work and are flattering on me, and they are the most comfortable of all the caps I've worn, so I'd like to try one of your caps too sometimes Simonds... but I want an eight panel lining - it's one of the best things about Zasu caps I reckon :p

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Jason it that I want a vintage cap and you just want a cap.:) The inner liner of a vintage cap is installed the same way it is on a fedora.
You like Zazu cap that's fine I tried one and didn't like it. :) different strokes for different folks.

Simonds

Vendor
I cannot comprehend why anyone would prefer a cylinder shaped lining inside an eight panel cap in preference to an eight panel lining. The eight panel lining is the same shape as the crown, and conforms to the shape, whereas the cylindrical linings are not and if not done well, exactly the right size, can bunch up and push the crown out of shape, and also cause problems with fit. Satin linings probably don't matter, but cylindrical cotton linings in an eight panel cap will cause problems with softer and lighter fabrics in the outer shell. The eight panel lining would take more effort to do, and I think that is why it isn't so common in eight panel caps. For me, eight panel cotton linings are luxury and polyester satin linings something to be tolerated reluctanly as they reduce the thermo-regulation properties of wool especially and make you sweat like a horse.

Zasu caps seem to work and are flattering on me, and they are the most comfortable of all the caps I've worn, so I'd like to try one of your caps too sometimes Simonds... but I want an eight panel lining - it's one of the best things about Zasu caps I reckon :p

Very well explained, you hit the nail on the head I believe! Just let me know,Thanks!

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Jason it that I want a vintage cap and you just want a cap.:) The inner liner of a vintage cap is installed the same way it is on a fedora.
You like Zazu cap that's fine I tried one and didn't like it. :) different strokes for different folks.

This is true, but I would nought a tear shed if satin linings were to go extinct. They are horrible in felt hats and they are horrible in caps.... even if they are authentic, they are an authentically horrible apparatus that renders one of the best qualities of wool, it's thermo-regulatory properties, useless. I doubt eight panel linings are a recent invention, but even if they are, you don't find many modern caps with them, so I think they are an interesting feature and ideal for cotton linings. Afterall, I am never likely to wear a cap inside out. Simonds can choose as he will, but in developing his own thing, I don't think it is really necessary that he should abandon the eight panel linings, especially if he is going to use cotton.

I am going to do my first gig with my guitar on stage in a week or so, which may end up being a disaster, but if it works out and I keep doing it... then yes, I will keep looking for caps that 'look cool'... but it will be necessary that they are also comfortable and cool to wear, otherwise I will be fighting to concentrate while my scalp is itching and sweat is running into my eyes. There are musicians with vintage style instruments, Fender Telecasters, for example, but I dare say that often as not they make modifications to them, particularly on the inside, to make them better. As you said, it is horses for courses, and we all have to decide how far we go with auntheticity. The fact of the matter is that we have to make that authenticity work for us in the modern world, unless we are just collecting them, which is of course valid, but I like to wear caps. When I think about it, I don't drive a vintage car and I don't know how to do the Charleston... so I might as well denounce those satin linings as works of the devil that should be exorcised from as many caps as possible... at least the ones I intend to wear.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I also like how vintage caps for the sumer only hat a tip liner.

P1030201.JPG

A RLK cap

grammercy2.jpg

Alan's cap

Both of these would really let the cloth breath.:)

Adnamira

A-List Customer
striped cotton newsboy cap.
100_5365.jpg

I have a Zasu in that fabric. Great fabric for eight panel caps. If you come across a nice wool twill, gabardine or lightweight wool suiting sometime, give me a Cooee. Inspite of my retro sport cap not really working for me, I like the Gabardine wool fabric a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum