Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi Nick,

I have sorted through my files for some pics.

First, the Hat People Extra Full Cut:

DSC_0337.jpg

DSC_0283-1.jpg

DSC_0215-1.jpg

DSC_0274.jpg

For comparison, Bookster larger newsboy. This is not their standard model, it is a more full cut style, which they do on request. It is not exactly like Hat People's. Mine is a made of a thicker wool material than Hat People's caps, which are made of a more medium thickness.

DSC_0380-1.jpg

DSC_0382.jpg

DSC_0383.jpg

And a couple of me wearing a "standard size" newsboy, an Olney, for you to have an idea of the proportions of the larger caps.

DSC_0337-1.jpg

DSC_0339.jpg

I think that, size-wise, both Hat People's and Bookster's caps are about right, but, as discussed recently, modern manufacturers seem unable or unwilling to reproduce vintage patterns, and, because of their construction being different, will not behave like the old caps.

Look at Marc Chevalier's pic some postings above, shown also in his avatar - or RLK's recently acquired linen cap. Note how their vintage caps look different. These examples are not a eight-panel styles, but vintage eight-panels are different too. Maybe if you chose Bookster's heaviest wool that wonderful stiffness appreciable in the old pic you have shared could be approached. Or maybe you need to starch it.

I would be glad to hear any suggestions conductive to at least approaching that look.

Regards!

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Pardon the giant facial hair.

This is a Jonathan Richard from Peterman. They called it the "Handsome Thug" cap. I love it. It has so much room in the cap to flop the way I like it to.

iphoneuploadkap0c0w8bm6.jpg

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Well here´s a picture of the Caps I´m usually wearing when I don´t pomp my hair:

l_b503b854317b46eca503f059f5242ee1.jpg

First one is made of a vintage fabric from Reid & Taylor from which I still have about two yards...

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Canadave said:
Wow, impressive. Is it a hobby, or your line of work?

Thank you! It´s mainly a hobby but I´ve already made some caps and outerwear and got payed for it... so I can´t be so bad ;)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Nathan Flowers said:
Pardon the giant facial hair.

This is a Jonathan Richard from Peterman. They called it the "Handsome Thug" cap. I love it. It has so much room in the cap to flop the way I like it to.

iphoneuploadkap0c0w8bm6.jpg

Peterman stuff always looks better in the flesh.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Godfrey said:
Well if your interested in taking orders IM me. Excellent from the look of things and as a cap addict I'm always happy to buy another!
I would like to IM you but it seems that I´m not allowed to... maybe because I´m new here???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic