Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

DAJE

One of the Regulars
Looks far more English than American to me. That kid, front row centre, is wearing the classic English schoolboy cap.

ETA: Bowlers were very common working class hats in the 19th century, they went out of fashion with the lower classes around the WW1 period, which is why Charlie Chaplin and Fatty Arbuckle made them part of their standard costumes: by that time they were seen as old fashioned and a little silly.

I'd date this photo to the Edwardian period, ie 1901-1910-ish.

Last edited:

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great photo - I spot the odd trilby, but it's pretty much 50% bowlers and 50% caps. I wonder what the match was. West Brom were doing well back then :)

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I see quite a number of cigarettes. Their popularity rose enormously during the 20th century. In 1900 an average American citizen smoked 54 cigarettes per year - in 1965 that number was 4.260. I haven't got the numbers for Britain.

As I understand it, soft felt hats were rare in Britain in the beginning of the 20th century. Stiffs, Homburgs and caps were the usual headgear at the time - fedoras came into British fashion later in the century.

I don't think, the picture is from the tens. During WWI would be my guess(?)

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Found these on eBay. Thought they looked like those really old denim workwear caps, but I haven't a clue as to what vintage they are.

$(KGrHqJ,!lQFJhgC-7ufBSeY7kw3LQ~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16d,!)8FJkHuzwVbBSeY5,bTGQ~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16F,!ysFJjIouO3JBSeY9tr(4!~~60_57.JPG

Nice find Golden Era Fan. I can't make out the manufacturers stamp, is it written in cyrillic? They look to be sure-enough work wear caps. The strap and buttons on front looks European in origin.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Regarding the football photograph - It is what is now known as the Johnny Haynes stand at Fulham FC. The Stevenage Road stand was finished in 1905 (designed by Archibald Leitch, no less - not that Archibald Leach, the other Archibald Leitch). The picket fence was unique to Craven Cottage. The rather grim faces would suggest that these are indeed Fulham fans.(Nothing changes lol) I have looked and very few if any are wearing "colours". One chap dead centre seated upper stand seems to be wearing a scarf of dark and light stripes. Impossible to tell, but black and white would of course be the correct colours for Fulham. The picket fence was apparently removed in the 1970s.

I don't see any women in the photo.

Either it is what I describe above, or it's a cricket ground. Not many stands like that in cricket grounds of that era, though, at least not in England, but other than Craven Cottage the only such venues that would have a picket fence.

Last edited:
Looks like Kiev in Russian cyrillic to me - so USSR era Ukranian made.

You may be right Richard. That was my first thought, but I can't make out the first letters so well. When I try to blow it up I lse resolution. I will try to sneak a peek at work today on a larger monitor.
I lived in Odessa briefly, and visited Kiev several times. This style of cap was fairly common there (as common in Odessa as ball caps here in the States) but I never saw any in denim, which now that I think about it, is odd because jeans were king there. It seemed like every other shop was some brand of denim wear, and I was totally floored by how expensive it all was.

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Apologies for thread-wandering here, but I had to follow up what you just said, Dale. Here in Australia, Carhardtt, of all brands, is a FASHION label - jeans regularly fetch $400 in upmarket shops and ball caps $100. I had to scrape my jaw off the floor when I first saw them.

Holy @#%& Keith. That's ludicrous. They've become quite the fashion mainstay here as well, but a ball cap can still be had for under $30. The pants go around $50 or 60.

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
1940's/50's flat cap with gorgeous black & white tweed. I can't put my finger on what about the proportion here is so pleasing, but I like this cap muchly. A giant THANK YOU to Al for absentee bidding on this one for me!!

1940s-black_white-1.jpg 1940s-black_white-2.jpg 1940s-black_white-3.jpg 1940s-black_white-4.jpg 1940s-black_white-5.jpg 1940s-black_white-6.jpg 1940s-black_white-7.jpg

So do you all think the double snap here was a corrected mistake or the hatter's equivalent of a reclining adjustable lounge..?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner