Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here are some Canadian caps:

1902:
1902CapsCanada_zps0ae3bc66.jpg

Winter 1918-1919
Winter1918-1919CapsCanada_zpsa2049643.jpg

Winter1918-1919CapsCanada2_zps26a41900.jpg

Winter 1948-1949:
Winter48-49CapsCanada_zpsc5b4b8e6.jpg

Winter48-49CapsCanada2_zpsdd888bb8.jpg

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Finished at last. This one has been in the works for a few months, and I was working on it for the last several days. Faction Folk, meet The Bowman. I've included a few pics of the vintage 1920's cap that this was patterned from. Shame the original is literally falling to shreds, as it's one of the most unique designs I've seen. It was a pretty massive challenge for me, as the cap is made up of more than 15 parts, and was a real jigsaw to make. Not the best wool to have made my first one from, as it doesn't lay like the fuzzier wools would. I'll do my next in a fabric closer to the original. I do love how the darts are only in the front with the back rounded - totally reversed from most flat caps you see. And the visor is fantastic - bigger than any I've done, but true to the original and kept my eyes plenty shaded in the sun today.

I also put in a few pix of the buckle being made. The materials are much more in my comfort zone, I must say!

The Bowman: Three-dart flat cap with pleated back and band; adjustable from sizes 58 to 60. 1940's British wool, liner of 1910's shirting cotton/1930's kimono silk, leather visor and partial-sweatband, vintage snap, hand fabricated/etched nickel silver/steel buckle.

bowman-blue01.jpg bowman-blue02.jpg bowman-blue03.jpg
bowman-blue04.jpg bowman-blue05.jpg bowman-blue06.jpg
bowman-blue07.jpg

Great-grandson and Ole Mr. Bowman.
bowman-blue08.jpg

The buckle in construction.
bowman-blue09.jpg bowman-blue10.jpg
bowman-blue11.jpg

The original on the bottom.
bowman-blue12.jpg

bowman-blue13.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great cap, Keith. I like the look of the fabric too (even if you don't think it's perfect)

Oh my, we have come a long way. A few years back we could only choose from about 5 brands (mainly 8 panel caps) who weren't really interested in expanding their collection towards more exciting vintage styles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn