Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great shot there, Edwardian. Very nice ensemble :eusa_clap.

Hatter, that denim cap looks really cool. It's a great shade of blue. Do they still offer that?

Little Red Tartan Cap - JC Penney's - mid 20th C.

I'm thinking late 1940's early 1950's from the logotype history of JCP...

penneyscap1.jpg

penneyscap2.jpg

penneyscap3.jpg

penneyscap4.jpg

penneyscap5.jpg

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
I have an extremely cheap driving cap, after I get a hair cut I'll take a pic if I can't find one now. I'd also like to get some pointers on my next cap, based on face shape, etcetera, after I post a picture.
EDIT: I found a picture!
IMGP5802copy.jpg

Last edited:
Would love to see a pic if you have one handy.

You are probably right. I hunted a bit for ads to find the transition point to the heavier font. All the 1950's ads I found used the latter.

Thanks. Actually, that earlier comment was about a cloth strap and buckle on the outside front of the cap ... a detail which was popular in the 'teens, '20s, and '30s, but pretty much gone by the '50s.

You post so much interesting vintage history... I pay attention!... from post #803:

... Note that vintage caps with a leather strap and buckle at the back are from the 1950s. They show up on eBay all the time.

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
I should mention that my cap earned me the nickname "Cabby" among college friends, and now I am known for my hat... I want to mix it up and wear a fedora as well, but only if I can find exactly what I want. I didn't want the attention from my cap, but it happened...

Dan'l

Practically Family
My first post in the thread, strange because I have several more caps than fedoras.

This is my new eight panel made by City Sport and purchased through Village Hats Shop.
2newhat.jpg

1newhat.jpg

All linen with a cotton lining.

Last edited:

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Looks good, Dan'l. There is something very tactile in the look of City Sport caps, I reckon. I've looked on the internet for them, but they always seem to be the wrong size or have satin linings, which I hate with a passion.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Stupid Question: I ordered a Hat People cap. They told me 4 weeks. Is this pretty accurate?

Dan'l

Practically Family
Looks good, Dan'l. There is something very tactile in the look of City Sport caps, I reckon. I've looked on the internet for them, but they always seem to be the wrong size or have satin linings, which I hate with a passion.

Thank you Adnamira.
The lining is a cotton mesh, which I have not seen before. I'm guessing the mesh is for warmer weather. I think a satin lining would be very warm.
I really like the fit of of the cap and newsboys just seem to get better with age.

Adnamira

A-List Customer
I think polyester satin linings make your head sweat when it is warm, and the feeling of sweaty, clammy satin on your skin is unpleasant I think. In felt hats it doesn't really touch your skin, but in caps it does. I really don't understand people's love for leather sweatbands for the same reason, but I guess everyone has their preferences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails