Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Wore my Sterkowski linen cap to my cousin's graduation party:
pWvRLBd.png
Nice one!! That looks great! Really digging the leather brim.

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
Wondering if anybody has some insight into Monsivais and Co.’s sizing? Their National in cotton looks like exactly like what I’ve been looking for, but their size chart looks wrong to me. They list 59cm as being a size 7 1/2 when it’s always been a 7 3/8 in my experience with caps and fedoras. Their 7 3/8 is listed as a 58cm which is counter to both other brands and my tape measure. Would I go with my normal 59cm and “size up”? Coincidentally my size in inches would be 23 1/8 in….which normally is listed as a 59 or 7 3/8….but here the cm listing appears a size off.

IMG_8022.png

mullitt

Familiar Face
Wondering if anybody has some insight into Monsivais and Co.’s sizing? Their National in cotton looks like exactly like what I’ve been looking for, but their size chart looks wrong to me. They list 59cm as being a size 7 1/2 when it’s always been a 7 3/8 in my experience with caps and fedoras. Their 7 3/8 is listed as a 58cm which is counter to both other brands and my tape measure. Would I go with my normal 59cm and “size up”? Coincidentally my size in inches would be 23 1/8 in….which normally is listed as a 59 or 7 3/8….but here the cm listing appears a size off.

View attachment 532944
I tried on a bunch in person, and I ended up with a 7 3/4 even though in every other hat I wear 7 5/8. They all fit the same. Go one size up.

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
Found this vintage tweed 8 Panel cap and even though it’s way too hot to wear it here in Orlando at the moment for $20 I couldn’t pass it up. Looks very old school. The seller claims it’s pre-1950 based on the Union Tag. I take that with a HUGE grain of salt but it certainly looks the part. Fit’s a tad snug but as I wear around the house a little it’s fitting better, should come in handy next month when my wife and go up to Mt Rainier and Olympic National Park for our anniversary.
IMG_8849.jpeg
IMG_8846.jpeg
IMG_8847.jpeg
IMG_8848.jpeg

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Found this vintage tweed 8 Panel cap and even though it’s way too hot to wear it here in Orlando at the moment for $20 I couldn’t pass it up. Looks very old school. The seller claims it’s pre-1950 based on the Union Tag. I take that with a HUGE grain of salt but it certainly looks the part. Fit’s a tad snug but as I wear around the house a little it’s fitting better, should come in handy next month when my wife and go up to Mt Rainier and Olympic National Park for our anniversary. View attachment 545779 View attachment 545780 View attachment 545781 View attachment 545782

Woolmark was launched in 1964.

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
Woolmark was launched in 1964.
Good to know, thanks! The fact that the liner is polyester of some kind made that pre-1950s claim really dubious, honestly I suspect this cap to be probably from the 70s or 80s, however yeah, it’s got a nice classic shape to it and the wool seems good quality. And hard to go too wrong for $20!

Granville

One of the Regulars
Harris Tweed. I'm calling the pattern 'weathered tartan' but I'm not certain it's really a tartan or simply a check pattern. Picked it up from vintage/thrift shop in Blighty; I paid as much in shipping as for the cap itself! Has a quilted lining, so it'll be put away until the winter sets in.
Top Shot.jpg
Harris Tag.jpg

Obligatory Head Shot. And, yes, the brim has a snap.
Head Shot.jpg

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
Got a a new Cordova cotton canvas counterpart to my linen Cordova cap. I kind of already love it though the canvas hasn’t broken in yet. It’s a thick cotton canvas that has a smooth enough texture to be dressed up or down and it’s probably going to be my knock around favorite, I can already tell the canvas will gradually drape beautifully. And it’ll let me save the linen for particularly dressy events….or just way too hot summer days.
IMG_0127.jpeg
IMG_0128.jpeg
IMG_0125.jpeg
IMG_0117.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner