Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Good to know on the creases, I've gotten a crease in my natural linen cap I don't like (improper packing/storing on my part) and was wondering about removing it. Had thought maybe steam.

Yeah, steam might be better with linen. I had an irritating crease in my b/b/g wool cap, tried steam, but finally dunked in some water and let it dry in the shade, and finally the crease was no more. I sat on my linen cap while playing my guitar the other day, it was all pinched an wrinkled, but wore it around and it fluffed back out again after half a day or so.

T Rick

Practically Family
Wearing my BG&B cap all day today (quite windy, a Fedora would have been aweful). Still wearing it now. The crease in my Linen cap is across the front and despite wearing has been stubborn. I'll try the steam and/or water tomorrow and report here.

Last edited:
Kingly Cap

Finally arrived... condition is unworn and pristine.

kinglycap1.jpg

kinglycap2.jpg

kinglycap3.jpg

kinglycap4.jpg

kinglycap5.jpg

kinglycap6.jpg

It will take a a little stretching to fit me right. Will see how that goes... carefully.

Steve

Practically Family
My taxi cap from Wilson's Leather Co. has become my go-to hat for everyday, casual about-and-aboutedness. My second hat in this style, I've lovingly named it "Charli II," and ol' Charlie is my stand-in whenever I'm traveling alone and can't take a self portrait.

Last year's trip to Italy (L to R, Borgo a Mozzano, Pompeii, Rome, Urbino):
40080_422122454086_560619086_4995278_2295907_n.jpg

Last year's trip to India:
166307_484657559086_560619086_6102111_3080569_n.jpg

Steve

Practically Family
Hey Steve
I really like your Taxi hat. Got any photos of it being worn?
Thanks
HD

Yessir, this was me a year ago when I was in India. At the time, I forgot that my jacket was an accidental reminder of British imperialism...

216705_10150152982409087_560619086_6758201_1764056_n.jpg

And more recently, after some weight loss, sporting a classic British commando sweater as well. I seem to be drawn to British militaria, now that I think about it.

tumblr_luxssczDyU1qlpeoao1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

email68

One of the Regulars
I just ordered my first newsboy cap from the Hat People.

I don't think that I would like a really full cut that sort of mushrooms out, so I ordered their deep cut. Now after going through this thread it looks like most people get the standard full cut.

I don't want it to look like a baseball cap. Has anyone here ordered the deep cut? I have not been able to find any photos here. Should I change it to a full?

-Tim

Steve
Picked up the Taxi Driver Newsboy at a local Wilson's Lether yesterday(last one in stock). Snapped a quick pic before my wife takes it away and wraps it for Christmas. Thanks for the info and your photos! I like the cap very much.
HD

IMG_0781.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Hatman Jack in Wichita KS has a larger selection of flat caps that he's had in the past. I haven't seen anyone wearing one yet, but he's sure stocked up for some reason. I didn't check brands or prices flat caps not being anything I wear or collect. Jack and the family work wonders on Sun Bodies, and my felt hats though.

601 W Douglas Wichita, KS 67213
(316) 264-4881

Later y'all

Steve

Practically Family
Steve
Picked up the Taxi Driver Newsboy at a local Wilson's Lether yesterday(last one in stock). Snapped a quick pic before my wife takes it away and wraps it for Christmas. Thanks for the info and your photos! I like the cap very much.
HD

IMG_0781.jpg
Well done, sir. Glad I was of help in steering you to a new lid, you wear it well. :)

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I'm new at this, and acquired this 7 3/8 Dobbs quite by accident. It must have shrunk because it was rather tight on my 7 1/8 noggin. About a day or so just sitting on a block seems to have helped a lot. It doesn't appear to be anything unique and I'd be surprised if the vintage was older than 10 years (experienced cap people can lend insight if they wish!), but it's neat to have around and maybe I'll get used to it. :)

dobbsnewsiecap003copy.jpg

dobbsnewsiecap004copy.jpg

dobbsnewsiecap006copy.jpg

dobbsnewsiecap007copy.jpg

Try wetting the hat with cold water around the headband area (inside and out, if there is no leather.) I use a plant sprayer and absorb excess water with a tissue. It just needs to be damp, not soaked. Spread the stretcher slowly listening carefully for any resistance from fabric or thread. The wool will remain damp for some time and allow slight increases in stages over a couple of hours. Leave it on the stretcher until fully dry. I've had good success with this method. I just increased my 6 3/4 Kingly cap to a comfortable 22 inches repeating this method twice over a couple of days.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I've always loved caps and they are my fall-back option for most of the winter. Some years ago I found a wonderful grey herringbone eight-piece (1920s I believe) in a Florida junk shop. I lost it after a long lunchtime in the pub. My own fault really!
However, now I have a new favourite:

This is an oversize tweed cap by 'Oliver Brown' (Chelsea, London)
oversizebrown3.jpg

oversizebrown2.jpg

Same style, different tweed:
oversizegreen1.jpg

A rather basic Russian flat cap:
russian.jpg

Another tweed (that I never wear):
tweed.jpg

Green silk. This is a great cap, and an unusual choice of cloth for a very basic cap:
greensilkcap.jpg

greensilk2.jpg

A nice linen summer cap by Bates (Jermyn Street, London):
creamcap.jpg

The same cap, but in blue:
bluecap.jpg

MadJack

New in Town
I'd like to see repro caps with a silhouette like this-
books

Ask and you shall receive. Visit Lock & Co. Hatters, London's oldest hatter. Couldn't download the pic, but their "Turnberry" cap has the silhouette you want. I own one and it is absolutely a vintage look, a very full shape with a pronounced bill that I love. (Don't like the modern "no bill" caps). Per the label, Lock is the the hatter by appointment to HRH Prince of Wales and Edinburgh. It has been made the with the same design since the early 1900s.

http://http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/Turnberry-details.aspx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn