Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

JTopenroad

One of the Regulars
My Borsalino Doria

New_Cap_9_21_2011_002.jpg
New_Cap_9_21_2011_003.jpg

Orangegrad

Practically Family
New B! Wear

My dark gray B! Wear arrived this morning. Incredibly nice cap. Top-notch quality, especially at the price point.

I'm a bit ambivalent about how it looks on my long and narrow face. Will take some time getting accustomed to.

DSCN1003.jpg

Sid Ceaser

New in Town
Hey y'all,
Been a lurker for a while, 'bout time I signed up and shared my recent wonderful purchase from Hat People because of this thread.

I've been searching for the right 8 panel cap for years, only I didn't realize it was an 8 panel I was looking for, and I started with flat caps.

Over the past few years I've been trying Ivy's over and over, and occasionally I would find one that I thought would work, only to be unhappy with how sharp it felt on my head (from an angle perspective)

A few of my past lids:

A cotton style ivy cap that I dyed a brownish color from it's off-the-shelf tan color. It was okay, but the style and cardboard visor bothered me. It also felt poorly made.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A WalMart special that my girlfriend bought after seeing me unhappy with the above cap. It was alright, but I didn't like the style very much at all.

I then found a very nice John Hanly & Co hat online from Biddy Murphy, and I like this cap very much; low profile, comes up high above the ear. Nice coloring, although I've always worn green ball caps and cadet caps in the past, and I was hoping to find something green. While I dug this cap very much, it still had this angle issue. Something just didn't feel right when I was wearing it.

Last year I found a Perry Ellis Portfolio ivy cap in green that I really liked, but it was a tad too large for me, and I felt it being too large on my head. I tried washing it and shrinking it, but it was still too large. The color was perfect though.

Then, with my wedding coming up and knowing that my bride-to-be and I wanted a slight vintage feel to our wedding clothes, someone suggested a Gatsby style cap, saying it was a rounder cut and might work better with my round face. I found something light to go with our wedding outfits, and BAM! this was totally the style of hat that I have been searching for - more rounded than the angular ivy cap, the Newsboy was larger, rounder and just looked much nicer on my head.

I used this white newsboy for my wedding and for my 20x24" vintage tintype wedding photos, and it absolutely helped me look the part. I was sold on the newsboy style.

I picked up a brown newsboy off eBay for cheap just so I could wear something to make sure other colors besides white/light grey would work for me.

About this time I started doing Google searches for Newsboy caps and came upon this website and the cap faction thread. I spent weeks going through all the images of hats by various makers, and I kept coming back to the Hat People caps. Finally I contacted them telling them I was thinking about two caps; one for the winters here in New England and one for the hot summers here and that I wanted something that was green in color for both. Carol got back to me right away saying she had some green light wool that would work for the winter style cap, and she had some lightweight hemp that is comparable to linen for the summer hat. I gave her payment and my measurements and started the long process of waiting!

Happily, the caps arrived a few days ago and I really love them. They are beautifully made caps. I need to break them in a bit but I'm absolutely delighted with the quality and result, and my search for caps for my head have finished, in part to all of you who have taken pictures and shared your caps in this thread.

Green wool cap, full cut, green hemp cap, medium cut:

Thanks so much y'all!!!

p.s. - for those wondering about the Muppet in some of the shots, click here

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Sid, presistance paid off. I love newsboy caps and wear them all the time for everyday where to work and back. I have a couple of Hat People caps that I have in rotation and always look forward to wearing them. Your two green caps look great the full cut hat I have in blue denim material that Carol hat.
I like the side view of the medium cut hat. One thing with a newsboy to get it laying just right play with the hat using the top button to adjust the lay of the cap on your head to get it too your liking. It will take time to get the cap to lay just right.

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
I've hat a simple cheap cotton ivy for a while now, and am kinda wanting a decent cap. Looking for something along the lines of: http://www.villagehatshop.com/bailey-hartman-ivy.html but I want to make sure I'm getting something decent. I'd post a WTB in classifieds, but this is still in research phase. I don't mind paying a little bit for exactly what I want, but it still needs to be fairly cheap (under $40). Any suggestions?

gdogus

New in Town
Looks fantastic, Adnamira!

Is that the "natural" linen? If the photo is over-exposed, can we assume that the actual cap a touch darker? Any idea what the Hat people "rain" linen looks like?

Hat People Linen full cut cap... and my custom Gilet 000 guitar :D Bit overexposed light on the cap. It actually has a small tear on the edge of the brim... gunna be a casual cap, so I couldn't be bothered complaining about it. Could have been done by customs... packaging was in pretty bad shape when it arrived.

Gilet hp by Adnamira, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails