Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Looks fantastic, Adnamira!

Is that the "natural" linen? If the photo is over-exposed, can we assume that the actual cap a touch darker? Any idea what the Hat people "rain" linen looks like?

Thanks - yep the natural linen. It's only a little bit darker actually. Closest thing I can think of as a comparible colour is like the colour of ivory when it gets old and brown. These linen caps take a few days wearing to get a good shape about them - they stick out in all sorts of funny directions when you pull them out of the box. I've found the best thing to do with hp caps is just let them settle and shape themselves; whenever I've tried to pull them around, I've ended getting them creased in a way I don't like and have to wet them to get them back to normal. Um, don't know about the rain linen at all. Is it for the rain, or is it a colour?

gdogus

New in Town
The Hat People website lists a few color choices for linen caps: natural, black, dark brown, and rain. I imagine (without any basis) that the last is some kind of light gray, but who knows? Anyway, I just placed an order for a full cut green, brown and black herringbone, based in part on Adnamira's posts and photos - thanks for providing that very, very helpful information! Depending how that works out, I may order a linen when summer makes the rounds again in this part of the world.

Thanks - yep the natural linen. It's only a little bit darker actually. Closest thing I can think of as a comparible colour is like the colour of ivory when it gets old and brown. These linen caps take a few days wearing to get a good shape about them - they stick out in all sorts of funny directions when you pull them out of the box. I've found the best thing to do with hp caps is just let them settle and shape themselves; whenever I've tried to pull them around, I've ended getting them creased in a way I don't like and have to wet them to get them back to normal. Um, don't know about the rain linen at all. Is it for the rain, or is it a colour?

Adnamira

A-List Customer
The Hat People website lists a few color choices for linen caps: natural, black, dark brown, and rain. I imagine (without any basis) that the last is some kind of light gray, but who knows? Anyway, I just placed an order for a full cut green, brown and black herringbone, based in part on Adnamira's posts and photos - thanks for providing that very, very helpful information! Depending how that works out, I may order a linen when summer makes the rounds again in this part of the world.

The green, brown and black herringbone is a very soft wool, which makes it want to sit up more than the stiffer wools. I've decided that I like it like that, but I think it is something to be aware of. I think hp caps have more of a bohemian or rural look about them than perhaps the more classical 30s 40s that many on the fedora lounge prefer, but they work for me as a musos cap - hides my encroaching baldness and the brim isn't too long that it hides my face too much.

Kingly Cap won at auction. From this chapter in the History of Brown County, Wisconsin, it appears the stamped imprint is for the owner, who was a prominent resident in New Franken during the first couple of decades of the 20th C.

I was the only bidder on this... probably due to the small size and the somewhat ungainly shape. It should look better with the tissue removed from inside and, with leather only on the front, I'm hoping it might be gently coaxed to fit a size 7. Auction photos:

kinglycap1.jpg

kinglycap2.jpg

kinglycap3.jpg

kinglycap4.jpg

kinglycap5.jpg

randooch

I'll Lock Up
That's awesome, Alan. I've started looking for a vintage cap or two, but it seems that 7 1/2 is as rare a size as in older fedorae. I predict an easy stretch on that one, especially with that Garve of yours. :)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
On Wednesday I made a tweed 8-panel cap more or less in one sitting, based on the pattern I drafted in August for my linen cap. I will put pictures up in the morning. If anyone is interested, I would love to make one (to measure), to sell you.

T Rick

Practically Family
I've seen colors similar to the HP "natural" linen also described as "oatmeal" if that helps. It is really sort of hard to describe. Carol listed a number of other colors in linen when we last spoke on the phone also.

The "rain" is a color, though I cannot recall it's description.

Good to know on the creases, I've gotten a crease in my natural linen cap I don't like (improper packing/storing on my part) and was wondering about removing it. Had thought maybe steam.

On Wednesday I made a tweed 8-panel cap more or less in one sitting, based on the pattern I drafted in August for my linen cap. I will put pictures up in the morning. If anyone is interested, I would love to make one (to measure), to sell you.
Looking forward to the pics, and might well give one a shot!

T Rick

Practically Family
Looks great, nice work there. Does the brim/visor have a stiffener in it, or is it just fabric (ala Hat People), which is how I prefer them.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Looks great, nice work there. Does the brim/visor have a stiffener in it, or is it just fabric (ala Hat People), which is how I prefer them.

It has interfacing, but nothing like the plastic/cardboard that you find in some commercial hats. It keeps its shape, but isn't very stiff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn