Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Pics of the Retro Sport Cap.

DSC04283.jpg

Thanks for posting these Johnny. It's a nice cap. Like some have said it is higher in the back. Is there any drape in the fabric? Might help draping to one side of the cap. A leather sweatband would give the hatband more defined edge. But like you said we have this and the Mr. Feedom cap to choose from. I love my Mr. Freedom but it was twice the price as this cap and I don't know if they will ever make anymore of them. An a vintage 20's cap in a size 7 3/8's my size too will cost as much as a Mr. Freedom cap if one goes up on eBay. So I will pick up a couple of these for everyday wear. Thanks for posting.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I like it Johnny J!
Check out this 1920's style cap from Japan's Adjustable Costume:

DSC_0037.JPG

Flaptop looks nice a little tall would have to see one worn really to see how the fabric lay's

Here is the website for those keeping up at home:
Adjustable costume

At current exchange rate the cost is 101.00 dollars. So a little higher the the Lodgren caps at Speedway which looks like they have a couple of new models. A brown and black cap in corduroy.
img58399883.jpg

Speedway

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Got this from Baron Kurtz a while back.

It's a 1930s flat front cap made in England for 'Saks Fifth Avenue'. Note the princely sum (for the era): $5.

IMG_4521.jpg

IMG_4519.jpg

IMG_4531.jpg

IMG_4533.jpg

IMG_4525.jpg

IMG_4526.jpg

IMG_4528.jpg

IMG_4529.jpg

A trio of identically-cut (flat-top) caps were sold at a John Wayne memorabilia auction recently:

lf.jpg

And in this 1936 advertisement, the fashion plate is wearing this kind of cap:

December08002.jpg

Last edited:

Razzman

One Too Many
Gentlemen, it's been a while since being on the FL. Happy New Year to all. I've been looking on the Bookster Website. Great clothing, and caps, with many, many tweed cloths to choose from. Can anybody explain the basics on the wool weights. They list light, medium and heavy weight wools from 360g to 700g. Would a 500g cloth be comparible to the wool hats from B!Wear or Hat People?? Somebody please help! Also, has anyone dealt with Bookster, what sort of wait is involved with purchasing a cap? Thanks!

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
DSCN1106-1.jpg

Modern flat cap profile.

IMG_4519.jpg

vintage flat cap profile.

Vintage always has a more pronouced bill for the cap.
More caps have the frabric of the crown flow on to the bill and cover it up.

I like others like the vintage profile of a more pronounced bill. This of coarse is harder to find.

Eastern Cap

Another from the recent Dinerman NOS lot.

easterncap.jpg

010412_2.jpg

010412.jpg

The character of the fabric weave and generous lining made this one a relatively easy stretch.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Casquettes Retro Sport

P1030590.JPG
P1030583.JPG

P1030584.JPG
P1030587.JPG

P1030588.JPG
P1030591.JPG

Nice fabrics and execution. The Gros grain sweatband is thin(same as a men's hat trim) and provides no stiffness resulting in a different drape of the lower portion despite sufficient fabric and similar darts to vintage examples.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Nice fabrics and execution. The Gros grain sweatband is thin(same as a men's hat trim) and provides no stiffness resulting in a different drape of the lower portion despite sufficient fabric and similar darts to vintage examples.

Thanks for picking up a couple Robert and giving your expert opinion. I think with a leather sweatband these would look just as good as my Mr. Freedom cap. The stiffness of the leather sweatband can not be under estimated. Might ask an see if they will install one for me.:)

Yes, both the 6 7/8 caps in this lot have smaller dimensions than the 7 1/8 caps which are full and floppy. Not sure if this is a size or style differential - probably both.

One of the things that Donna mentioned with when I talked with her about stretching these is the fragility and destruction that happens in vintage clothing due to the contact with perspiration and body oils. She often comes across wonderful vintage women's clothing where the armpits have disintegrated. The absence of this chemical aging is one of the wonderful things about NOS stock - though of course other elements of time, like insects, still get their licks in.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Yes. Also, the back top of the cap (the 'peak') would look better if it were higher, giving the effect of a smooth slope downward from back to front. Something like this:

IMG_4531.jpg

P1030595.JPG

Sorry, my cranium is somewhat domed, one reason why I can't wear smaller sizes in flat caps....
A plastic or other thick tip protector also stiffens and flattens the top surface.
I would need at least 2 sizes up to attempt that slope--vintage or otherwise. Caps don't sit that way for me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff