Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Nice caps fellows. They give a strong look. I think they look sharp, styling while being masculine.

I really enjoy the caps that have the brim showing prominently and having a slant. I continue my searching for a smaller sized cap more similar to stylish caps pictured above.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Filled by a domed cranium or not, the 'Retro Sport' cap has a rounded, rather than peaked, back. That's fine, but IMO it would look better with a higher-rising, peaked back.

'Retro Sport' cap:

DSC04283.jpg

Vintage 1930s cap:

IMG_4535.jpg

There are some small variations but lets make reasonably similar comparisons...

I could reverse them:
IMG_4519.jpg

P1030613.JPG

Last edited:

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Would there be a way to form that peak onto the Retro Sport model? Pinching the back somehow? If so, we've then got a remarkably good facsimile.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Buy up 2 sizes, adjust the lower portion of the rear darts and install a leather sweatband.

Resting upside down on the top of your head for long periods might also have a minor effect.

Razzman

One Too Many
Thanks Ed, I've been scouring the fantastic cloths page at Booksters. My question is what is a good weight for a wool hat? They have light 350g, medium 400-500g and heavyweight 600-700g. I was also wondering what a heavyweight hat would compare to as far as the caps from B!Wear and Hat People. I did find out that it's a 7-9 week wait for a cap from Booksters.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Resting upside down on the top of your head for long periods might also have a minor effect.

Not much at all. I'll take and post side-view photos of vintage flat caps sitting on my head (for long periods, if you wish), and you'll see: the back will stay high and sloped. Adjusting the lower portion of the 'Retro Sport' cap's darts will not change the fact that it was made with a rounded, lower-set back.

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
What do other Fedora Loungers think?

P1030613.JPG

IMG_4535.jpg

IMG_4536.jpg

web.jpg

I see the forward slope of the way the darts are sewn in the two vintage caps Marc.
The Mr Freedom cap does have the forward slope due to the darts. The hat is also flat on ones head.
Its still a great modern day cap thats for sure. I hope Mr Freedom makes another edition for sure. ;)
I wear the caps to work as fedora's have trouble fitting into my Locker at work.

Last edited:

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
And if someone were to custom make these caps with the right dimensions and with a leather sweatband, how much you guys think would be reasonable to pay? Lets say with some modern tweed fabric?

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Johnny J & rlk
i like the french ebayer's caps. i bought a few more. she emailed me saying new models coming soon......
maybe if we suggest to her a leather sweat band & 1/4'' more rear height for more $ it might work....
any way before the FL i was in this situation ... watch what happened when i had no $ & made my own caps from a few of my moms cats....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-7j3wffdhs

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Johnny J & rlk
i like the french ebayer's caps. i bought a few more. she emailed me saying new models coming soon......
maybe if we suggest to her a leather sweat band & 1/4'' more rear height for more $ it might work....
any way before the FL i was in this situation ... watch what happened when i had no $ & made my own caps from a few of my moms cats....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-7j3wffdhs

all that matters now is i still have the smooth moves ! in my new retro sport cap !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183