Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Adnamira

A-List Customer
I have a vtg 30s newsboy w/leather sweatband and a Mister Freedom w/leather sweatband and both lie flat also. Personally I really like the leather sweats in the caps than just a grosgrain band. Cap holds onto your head better.

I guess it is just personal preference. I've worn Akubra felt hats for years and I associate leather sweatbands with being hot and sticky. They are also the first part of the hat to wear out. Akubra have a wire that runs around inside of them and when the leather starts to go, the wire digs into the back of your head. I can understand why people like them, but I wear a cap as an alternative to a hat, so I like them to offer me something else. I also live in the Australian bush. There are no hat cleaners in my vicinity, so it is handy if I can hand wash a cap, or have it dry cleaned... as much as I try to keep them clean. I am not sure how to go about cleaning a leather sweatband cap... the tactic might be to just let some get dirty and leave others for good, but yeah, it is not something I have to worry about it seems.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Jason the leather sweatbands in caps do not have the reed like fur felt Hats. The just replace the ribbon with leather. I think the Retro sport will grow on you. My Mr. Freedom is my favorite cap and now Retro Sport will start making their caps with a leather sweetband as Seabass said they where going to have an option I will order a few of theirs too.

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
Yesterday two more caps bought on Ebay arrived. Both are used (at least pre-owned) and in very good condition. Unfortunately both were decribed wrongly! :eusa_doh: I am quite religious about the decription of thing I sell on Ebay and can´t understand what is so difficult in making a proper description of a good. Anyway, I suppose I will keep the caps... [huh]

The first one is a coarser Herringbone style pattern in black and white. It was specified as being made form pure wool which it isn´t. The tag says it´s only 45% wool and the rest is acrylic and polyester. As I am not overly enthusiastic about those poly-wools in a cap I wouldn´t have bought it if I had known. On the other hand the fit is quite good and I like it´s looks. Guess it´s going to be my "beater". Liner is black and padded, grosgrain sweat band, cap front is sewn to the brim. No label inside apart from the one that states the size, material and "Made in Italy". You can see the difference to a Harris or Donegal pretty instantly, so there´s a good reason to buy the originals.

Fotoam31-03-2012um13172.jpg

Fotoam31-03-2012um1318.jpg

The second one looked very vintage in the ad. It was decribed as being size 61 which would have been two size above mine. So I already was thinking about how to shrink it to my size with hot water when I found out that it was more a 58! :eusa_doh: Ok, at least it fits (If I keep my hair short!) It is no eight dart but flat on top with no button on top and kind of flared on the sides. The front is not fixed to the brim which I dislike. I will try to fix at least one snap fastener to it. The fabric is quite interesting. It´s like a grey Garbardine or the like. The liner is very simple and plain and has the "interesting" colour of a light lilac. :eeek::D Ok, you can´t have everything, can´t you? As you can see on my rather unfortunate photos it doens´t sit very well on my head and the front kind of gapes open.

Fotoam31-03-2012um1320.jpg

Fotoam31-03-2012um13202.jpg

Fotoam31-03-2012um13203.jpg

Too bad my reservation about buying used hats/caps were confirmed. Let´s hope I have more luck next time....

Frank

Razzman

One Too Many
Frank, the herringbone cap looks good on you, as does the flat cap. Sometimes ebay can be very frustrating, even when you ask questions. Still not a bad score.

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
Thank you Manfred! We walked the dogs on the beach of the River Elbe today and despite of the storm that was raging the Herringbone cap sat quite firmly on my head. That´s a good one indeed. The summer cap will get a little makeover tomorrow, keep thumbs pressed that it will work...

Frank

Adnamira

A-List Customer
I actually saw some photos of some latin blues musicians that were wearing red wool Zasus. It wasn't a bad look. Sometimes it is fun to have something outlandish, but not all the time.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Awesome caps. Lovely fabrics, Seabass!
A !
Thanks Man.. android cell phone pics, my kid slapped up for me. I still have to get a real camera & post some good shots
the brown cap is a brown coarse cotton (like Cahartt Pants) & the wool is cool with little flecks & the dark blue is twill,
Linings are cotton paisley

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael