Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Mulceber

Practically Family
Just ordered a cap from Hat People for the first time. I went for the Apple Cap, as that looked the best, based on the photos they had (hope the color of the pictures was accurate!). Will post pics when it arrives. -M

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
ok...I just have to publicly apologize. I had stated that B! Wear cap was dreadful, and I have to say it has grown on me. Its not one of my favorites, but it does have some character. It felt a bit tight, but after just pulling and tugging, it fits perfect. I still wish the bill was a bit wider, but I am wearing it now :)

T Rick

Practically Family
Dropped in to Henry The Hatter in Downtown Detroit yesterday, and a beautiful custom made cap was hanging on the wall (I'd seen it before, told it's not for sale). It is Gaberdine (true gaberdine as pointed out by the lady who works there). Made in the 1920's in their own shop that produced them upstairs back in the day (along with a lot of other custom hats). Wish a few more of these would surface. "Everybody wants that hat" said Joe Da Hat last time I was in there...

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

My pics don't do it justice. Really a beautiful cap!

T Rick

Practically Family
Nice looking cap don't you just hate it that it is just hanging there. What size is it?
Yes and no. If it had been used much in the last 90 some years, it wouldn't be in this shape. As to size, I didn't see one, and I'm not really sure I want to know (if it fit, I might start trying to find "the number" that would change it's status from "not for sale" to "mine" :D).

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
Ok I have to ask and I am sure it has been asked here before.

I just finished a whirlwind marathon of 12-14 episodes of Boardwalk Empire. Any clues where they sourced all of their Newsboys?

It was interesting to see the scene where Capone is sitting in a Synagogue and the Elder tells him to wear a Yamaka, because he is a man and yet wears the hat of a child. It almost took me a back and put my Newsboys away. The very next scene was an old gentleman in a newsboy sweeping a store. It was an interesting perspective, but Ill keep my hats thank you :)

CitizenGenet

Familiar Face
If you are in the Kansas City or Dallas-Fort Worth area, you may be interested in knowing that the The Foundry Big and Tall Supply Company carries a few flat caps.

thedanu

Familiar Face
I already posted this in the "Show us what you've made" section in the powder room, but I thought it may also belong here.

First time I try to make a hat, this one is inspired in the 30's newsboy caps, it's all handmade and (as usual) I had no pattern. Luckily Sproily found some measurements I could use in this forum, he's modelling the hat :)

20110803-newsboycap.jpg

20110803-newsboycap-2.jpg

20110803-newsboycap-5.jpg

20110803-newsboycap-4.jpg

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I already posted this in the "Show us what you've made" section in the powder room, but I thought it may also belong here.

First time I try to make a hat, this one is inspired in the 30's newsboy caps, it's all handmade and (as usual) I had no pattern. Luckily Sproily found some measurements I could use in this forum, he's modelling the hat :)

20110803-newsboycap.jpg

I've never been much for caps, but I could see myself wearing this one. Congratulations you've done a great job.

BR

thedanu

Familiar Face
Thank you very much gentlemen! I did at least save a pattern of the shape of the panels, so I can make more in the future. Nevertheless, it would probably still be easy enough to come up with measurements for other sizes, using a little bit of geometry and calculus ;-) (which is what I did to come up with the pattern for this one)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran