Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Its good to hear you like your City Sport cap. I have 4 of them and have found I dont wear any of my other caps anymore.
Mine have all been bought from a local shop so I was able to try them on before buying. The sizing has always been constant, I am a size 58 (7 1/8 in old money) and every one of their caps has been a perfect fit. so would have no problem trusting the sizing if I was to buy online.
The only problem I have is the local shop wont be getting any new stock until September so no new caps until then - unless I see something interesting online ;)

You are lucky to have a local shop that stocks such great caps. The ebay seller I bought this one from isn't listing them as City Sport in the search criteria - they are selling them at a good price, but my cap wasn't wrapped in anything, just stuck inside a rather thin plastic satchel - cheap postage though and arrived in Australia from Britain in 7 days - I think if the cap had been damaged they would have refunded me, but still, a bag or some paper wrapped around it would have been a good idea. I'm amazed that these caps have been under the radar for so long, considering how appealing, well made and priced they are.

wintergreen

New in Town
I have bought from the same ebay seller as you in the past, although the cap I bought was a Failsworth Harris Tweed cap. There is nothing wrong with the Failsworth cap its well made and looks ok but its just sits on the shelf and doesnt get worn.
I have no doubt There will be a couple of new City Sport caps being added to my collection over the summer while I wait for the new range to arrive in September.

Adnamira

A-List Customer
I'm going to see if I can get the same as your silk one and I'd like the multi coloured Marl. I want to actually wear the caps I've already have first, so I think I will probably miss out on the Marl - they seem to continue those colour styles on through to newer models though, so I will definitely be buying a few more.

Last edited:

Hepville

One of the Regulars
So here we go... I´ve listed all on Etsy now and here are the two new ones:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/94861622/schiebermutze-aus-harris-tweed
http://www.etsy.com/listing/94862719/schiebermutze-aus-harris-tweed
From both I have one ready in size 59 for direct shipping.
The pictures from the top show the colours best.
The beige tweed has some very subtile yellowish parts in it.

Here is a black Harris Tweed I don´t stock and can make one more cap from:
60389,schwarzD4UUH.jpg

Here is a discontinued Harris Tweed I´ve grabbed the last piece and could make one more cap... the other will be mine:
60388,blau4STMH.jpg

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Here are some other Harris Tweed fabrics I personally like... but as I mentioned before I can´t offer them for the same price because of their patterns and I would need two pre ordered caps from each fabric to be on the financial save side to order those Harris Tweeds:

60384,belaV6SH9.jpg

60385,muster01J3ZA2.jpg

60386,muster02I8HNX.jpg

The price for those would be 59,90€

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
A two-fer today. *This shot qualifies me to post in both the bow tie thread and the cap thread:

22ecaac4.jpg

I'm not actually wearing the cap today, though. *It's the new Henry the Hatter 8/4 linen cap I bought for this summer.

-Dave

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My retro sports cap arrived today. It's too small. I should have gone with my usual size. So I would advice against going one size down. Others had different results. I don't know if it is concidence or due to conversion to the metrical system. [huh]

The overall circumference of the cap itself looks great and true to vintage french caps. The fabric is a little lighter than I imagined it from the pics though. The sweatband is slim (but this was already mentioned here)

Razzman

One Too Many
My retro sports cap arrived today. It's too small. I should have gone with my usual size. So I would advice against going one size down. Others had different results. I don't know if it is concidence or due to conversion to the metrical system. [huh]

The overall circumference of the cap itself looks great and true to vintage french caps. The fabric is a little lighter than I imagined it from the pics though. The sweatband is slim (but this was already mentioned here)

What size did you order? What is your normal size? Any pics?

Hepville

One of the Regulars

It´s always bad when you get an item and it doesn´t fit! So are you going to stretch it or do you send it back?

Before I´ve let the grading done to my pattern I´ve looked around for many different size conversion charts including metric, UK and US sizes... and every chart varied from each other! So I´ve decided only to go with metric as it is the most correct chart for this gear imho.

Flat Foot Floey

I have a big head and need size 61. I ordered one size down= 60 because it was advised here. It's very snug and not wearable for me.[huh] No pictures yet.

But as I said: We use the same sizing system in germany as they do in france. They americans have to converse theirs because the seller is french. So I would just have styed with my usual sizing which would be more easy for me than for them.

I will send it back after the weekend.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
@Manfred: The base colour is a dark blue and the spots go from shades of grey to shades of light brown and tan.
(nachtblau mit Einschlüssen in helleren grau- und diversen hellbraunen Farbtönen)

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
I have a big head and need size 61. I ordered one size down= 60 because it was advised here. It's very snug and not wearable for me.[huh] No pictures yet.

But as I said: We use the same sizing system in germany as they do in france. They americans have to converse theirs because the seller is french. So I would just have styed with my usual sizing which would be more easy for me than for them.

I will send it back after the weekend.

Yeah, sorry for that mix up. So it looks like for anyone in the US ordering Retro Sport caps we should go down one size? And for Europe residents do not.

Flat Foot Floey

No problem Johnny J. I am glad I could see some pictures of the cap here. Thanks for that. It helped me to decide.

What US and european hat size do you have? Maybe we can figure it out. [huh]

seabass

Call Me a Cab
No problem Johnny J. I am glad I could see some pictures of the cap here. Thanks for that. It helped me to decide.

What US and european hat size do you have? Maybe we can figure it out. [huh]
F F F
I am sorry that it fit small per my statement. I did not take into account that I & Johnny J are Here California & there could be a US/Europe
sizing table diffrences. But what is confusing I wear a 7 1/4 0r metric 58 i copied this directly from the ebay listing (T 59 * SZ 7 1/4 * 22"3/4)
& Johnny J is a 7 3/8 or metric 59 this is copy off the ebay listing (■T 60 * SZ 7 3/8 * 23")
we both had larger than stated as in inches. I measured i have a hat tool that measures in inches the inner circurmfrence & the hat measured big.. Johnny J bought my 2 T59 & i ordered 8 in T58 & 6 fit great & 2 loose (those 2 are getting leather sweats installed as we speak)
So there seems to be some inconstincancy with the sizing per the hat maker & the Listing is wrong for USA size's in inches
The seller is new & might have got the size measurements mixed up. Any USA buy small & Europe buy?
I am sorry we did not Klick our locations & question the sizing.... the seller does take a while to answer emails so that might just apply to US buyers due to the time frame....what is important i Like my Retro Sport Caps a lot.

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Because I'm an Aussie, and we have a tradition of using both metric and imperial, I've got used to buying caps in different measurements. I always check a chart like this http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/scales/hatsizes.html - I think they are pretty close to the mark - the UK sizing is marked an 1/8th smaller for the same size, so it would probably fit an 1/8th larger for the same size. I was wondering if this size bigger/smaller thing was related to that. Seeing the French invented the metric system, I think it would be safest to buy in metric. I'm the opposite of most people on here in that I round up my measurements rather than down and haven't had any great disasters, but that is just me and my hatred for tight fitting headwear, I guess. After hearing about folks on here steaming and stretching caps, I might try a smaller size if I ever buy another Zasu - being a big and heavy cap with a thick headband, they do slip down and push my ears out a bit.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, sorry for that mix up. So it looks like for anyone in the US ordering Retro Sport caps we should go down one size? And for Europe residents do not.
Johnny J
I guess so if we recieved larger caps the T59 were too big even with the padding i put in. & the brown cap measured slightly over 23''
Too big for a 7 1/4 though i am a Long Oval & not easy too fit with off the shelf hats

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Because I'm an Aussie, and we have a tradition of using both metric and imperial, I've got used to buying caps in different measurements. I always check a chart like this http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/scales/hatsizes.html - I think they are pretty close to the mark - the UK sizing is marked an 1/8th smaller for the same size, so it would probably fit an 1/8th larger for the same size. I was wondering if this size bigger/smaller thing was related to that. Seeing the French invented the metric system, I think it would be safest to buy in metric. I'm the opposite of most people on here in that I round up my measurements rather than down and haven't had any great disasters, but that is just me and my hatred for tight fitting headwear, I guess. After hearing about folks on here steaming and stretching caps, I might try a smaller size if I ever buy another Zasu - being a big and heavy cap with a thick headband, they do slip down and push my ears out a bit.
Good size chart there ! So does any one know what the T is for per T59 etc.. probably the sellers stock list?
The seller should be reading this maybe she can make it clear, I sent her the cap faction link a while back & she seems nice & learning the ebay biz.
thanks for the size info !

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Good size chart there ! So does any one know what the T is for per T59 etc.. probably the sellers stock list?
The seller should be reading this maybe she can make it clear, I sent her the cap faction link a while back & she seems nice & learning the ebay biz.
thanks for the size info !

I think there must be some variance. Ralf Reynolds lists his 7 1/2 size as 61cm; whereas if you go on the US conversion it should be 60cm. Yet the cap fits loser than actual 61cm caps that I do wear... so I don't know what is going on there. I don't even know what 7 1/2 is actually a measure of - does the hat maker have to measure the circumfrance in inches and then use some formula to convert it to the hat size system - there's a whole lot of potential for trouble and confusion there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner