Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Hat Head

One of the Regulars
Packing away the summer caps

Putting away my favorite summer cap - seersucker that I found at Target, of all places!

100_0542.jpg
[/IMG]

Al

One of the Regulars
Hey Dude, Nice Cap!!

I like this transitional time of year, I look forward to wearing my Fall/Winter Collection.

Welcome to the Cheap Hats Brotherhood.

vonwotan

Practically Family
Where are fellow denizens of the lounge purchasing their caps these days? I have been disappointed by the fabric selections from some of my old favourites.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Canadave said:
Cool hat! Also nice to have the provenance.

When did you move to Halifax, Dinerman?

David
Yeah, I like it, nice full cut.

I moved to Halifax at the end of August for school. Nice town.

rgraham

A-List Customer
Filson double Macinaw.

Here's a cap I just found at a 2nd hand store. I live in a part of the world that has little use for such a cap, but I couldn't resist buying it. I know nothing about these classic looking caps, and that's what I'm wondering about.

How long has Filson been making them? I see that Cabella's still sells them, but the sheep fur on the sides of the cap look about half of what's on this one.

One thing I do know, is that if it gets cold enough to wear it, it will keep me vehwy vehwy woorm.

filsontag.jpg

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Terrific cap there, rgraham!
I love the fact that when some folks see this pattern and style cap...they cringe!lol Here's one of mine from the archives, one of my favorites, back when I was using the Just For Men on the beard:

223525853_746473160_0_edited.jpg

223525736_746472729_0_edited.jpg

223525949_746473528_0_edited.jpg

dean

carter

I'll Lock Up
deanglen said:
Terrific cap there, rgraham!
I love the fact that when some folks see this pattern and style cap...they cringe!lol Here's one of mine from the archives, one of my favorites, back when I was using the Just For Men on the beard:
223525853_746473160_0_edited.jpg

dean

Dean, It's nice to see you posting! What are you using on the beard these days? ;) :)

skbellis

One of the Regulars
"Wind That Shakes the Barley"

Forgive me if that has been asked before or if I am posting in an inappropriate spot, but is there a source for those more full cut (sort of massive) flat caps that all of the men are wearing in the film "The Wind That Shakes the Barley"? I know of tons of places that have the more normal size ones, but I was curious if anyone new of someplace to get the more full ones.

Cheers,

---Scott

rgraham

A-List Customer
skbellis said:
Forgive me if that has been asked before or if I am posting in an inappropriate spot, but is there a source for those more full cut (sort of massive) flat caps that all of the men are wearing in the film "The Wind That Shakes the Barley"? I know of tons of places that have the more normal size ones, but I was curious if anyone new of someplace to get the more full ones.

Cheers,

---Scott

Maybe these guys can "fill the bill". I have one of the full cuts, and it's pretty puffy.

http://www.hatpeople.com/cuts/tourcut.html

I've posted some images here.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=4972&page=6

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Tweeds

A quick question of cap protocol. I've heard that if you are wearing tweeds the cap should be of a different pattern/ colour. ie - they shouldn't match. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Godfrey said:
A quick question of cap protocol. I've heard that if you are wearing tweeds the cap should be of a different pattern/ colour. ie - they shouldn't match. Does anyone know if this is correct?
Well, I don't know if it's "correct",nor do I know who writes these rules of correctness. However, to answer your question it seems to me that a cap that matches a suit in color looks a bit too much like a uniform or stage costume (especially if the pattern also matches). A little contrast might give a better balanced look. Just my opinion, not a rule.

Dave the Hick

New in Town
Hat Head said:
Putting away my favorite summer cap - seersucker that I found at Target, of all places!

100_0542.jpg
[/IMG]
Hey, I have that exact one! I love it. It's light, and not huge and floppy.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

In the wake of the 8-panel cap I showed the other day in the Newsboy Caps thread, here I introduce Bookster's flat caps.

I copypaste the general info...

These are made-to-order caps. You choose the material and the style. Bookster is specialized in tweed suits, so the selection is the same you have for suits: more than 100 :)p ) to choose, different patterns and weigths. You choose the liner colour, too (13 available).

Bookster website...

http://www.tweed-jacket.com/Tweed ...nd Hats.html

They have some styles not shown in the website. I asked for larger-crowned flat caps, and they offer a more voluminous version of their Hereford, called the Kingston.

So, here you have a Kingston, in various views for you to better appreciate the shape. This one is made in a tweed pattern known as Ness.

DSC_0407.jpg

DSC_0412.jpg

DSC_0411.jpg

I ordered another one in Glenhunt cloth:

DSC_0404.jpg

I certainly recommend Bookster caps. Very good material and manufacture, and excellent communication.

Gutshot

One of the Regulars
Had this one for years... got it at K-Mart 15 years ago I think. Yeah, K-Mart. Remember them?

3420585432_38400fb6d8.jpg

Oh, and this isn't a fedora... and vintage? Oh they've been around centuries!

3419789509_80ecfc1e1a.jpg

cco23i

A-List Customer
I LIKE IT!! I am looking to get a newsboy and I will check Burlington coat factory. Any other vendors you all may suggest? Oh, and I have my 31 white sox cap on.

Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy