Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Carolina Manuevers of 1941

Story

I'll Lock Up
Note that this is the third part in a series -

The Carolina Maneuvers finally took place in November of 1941 and consisted of two phases. The first phase—entitled the “Battle of the Pee Dee River”—saw the numerically superior Blue army (“First Army”) tasked with preventing the Red army (“IV Corps”) from crossing the Catawba- Wateree River in force and then attacking Red territory. On the other side, the Red army’s mission was to cross the Catawba-Wateree, march east to the Pee Dee, and prevent a Blue invasion.

Interestingly, yet importantly, the battle was essentially a clash between “old” and “new.” The Blue army was organized into an infantry-oriented force with tanks deployed in the traditional manner of support (“penny-packets”). The Red army, however, consisted of a smaller but more mobile motorized/armored force. At the time, this was a significant distinction because the former suggested a post- WWI approach while the latter resembled the mechanized German panzer armies, which had devastated France in just three weeks.

Despite the differences, the “old” triumphed in phase one thanks in large part to flagrant rules violations by Blue’s commanding officer Lt. General Hugh A. Drum. As a result, the Blue army got a sizeable head start, easily secured three bridgeheads over the Pee Dee, and pushed the Red forces back at every turn.

http://www.thecolumbiastar.com/news...ught/Part_III_Carolina_Maneuvers_of_1941.html

Foster

One of the Regulars
My great uncle was involved in the Carolina Maneuvers. I recently was able to see the photo album he kept, and it showed the early "Parson's Jacket" field jacket and some other interesting details.

Foster

One of the Regulars
My aunt has the album, otherwise scanning would be easy. I did take a photo of one page with my phone. I will try and find it to post tomorrow.

Foster

One of the Regulars
This is the photo I managed. Not the best image, the album was falling apart due to age. He was in the 8th Infantry Division.
carolinamaneuvers.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy