Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
I discovered a Resistol western hat in the Goodwill near my office. It's at least two sizes too big and had been nailed through the brim, apparently to be used as a display piece since it showed no signs of being worn, but I thought I might be able to use it as a learning project.

Unfortunately, I neglected to take any pictures before starting the conversion. Still, I figured the end result is worth sharing.

I had to trim the 3 3/4" brim back past the hole, so I carefully marked a line a bit over 2" from the crown and cut the excess away. Sorry, Jao, but I couldn't think of a way to save the brim and fill the obvious hole.

I removed the fake leather band with miniature conchos, then set about replacing it with a ribbon. Several posts on the Lounge encouraged bending the ribbon in a crescent shape, which really helps keep the top half of the ribbon snugged up to the crown.

It seems like the hardest part of the project was tacking the ribbon in place. This XX wool felt is THICK and so full of stiffener that it's hard to get a needle through it.

Here's some shots after the ribbon work was finished and I managed to re-shape the brim into something more like a fedora with some water and some GENTLE steam.

From above:
02ee143d875a57d45e9d37e2a68dd607.jpg

From the side:
33c7dac95c50d11114949626e5c0bec2.jpg

Interior and sweat shots:
f0893b66211984c6d6bef40ea660a75a.jpg

902ccf1155c396a2ce528d232eb79b4b.jpg

d60cc739f3e92df831a2c1a4dbd8beee.jpg

e1860c3c73e18badb1b6d2d20c33da32.jpg

A closer shot of my first bow:
19a51d860b80a6b245fd2ab5ad10df24.jpg

Now I just need to find someone that this'll fit.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Stupid thing to do even to a wooly... nailing it to the wall...
Well if you couldn't save the brim, I think it's OK.
Nice work on the bow.
Those XX premium wool have a lot of shellac, I have one made for Staple stores and it's like a board.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Finished my holiday hat a couple of weeks ago.I asked my wife how is likes it,she said I like the bow.Then she said your not going to wear it are you,it's really red.So I put it on and we went to the dog show.At the ticket window,the ticket lady said I sure do like a man in a hat.I looked a my wife and smiled.3 times that first day I got nice comments.I've been wearing the hat for a couple of weeks and have had many nice remarks.It is 6" open crown,now as creased 5 1/4" front,4 3/4" back,and highest point on sides 5 1/2".The brim was 3 3/8",now 2 1/2".the ribbon is 1 1/2" black.I did another shark gill and stitched it behind the bow flaps so the bow didn't lie flat,I wanted some dimension to the bow.Also added a green liner.

viclip

Practically Family
After some hesitation, I've recently taken to sporting Burgundy/Bordeaux dress hats & I've been acquiring them in that color whenever I find a source. They do draw compliments esp. from the ladies.

Dogman your true red hat is awesome, wish I could locate a source!

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Thanks,viclip and Joao.I didn't know if I could wear a red hat.Turns out that I really like it.
It seems that I can wear a red hat.

I found a perfect hat for you, Joao. It's a 5" brim, fur felt hat that ships from Israel. Just replace the hat band and you'll be all set.

The hat can be found at this link: WIIIIIIIDE Brim Hat
A bit expensive... but it's free shipping. I'll consider it for a future hat.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
That is one fine hat Dogman. Great job on the bow. Nice liner too! Woo Hoo!

I did something a little different with one of my Stagecoaches. I wanted to do an Indyesque / Western hybrid. I was able to get most of the taper out of the crown and square it up a bit. A little pouncing to make it easier to crease, and here's what I came up with....

Before:

Resistol_Stagecoach_chestnut_01.jpg

After:

Resistol_Reblock.jpg

I went with a vintage dark brown ply ribbon and made up a campaign style bow...maybe too much bow? I may swap it out. I'll see if it grows on me first.

Western_Indy_02.jpg

Western_Indy_03.jpg

Western_Indy_04.jpg

Western_Indy_05.jpg

Western_Indy_06.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran