Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Thank you,T Jones. The red hat has become one of my favorite hats.I like your Stagecoach.Your doing nice work on the campaign bows.I think it looks good whether you keep it or not.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thank you,T Jones. The red hat has become one of my favorite hats.I like your Stagecoach.Your doing nice work on the campaign bows.I think it looks good whether you keep it or not.

Thanks buddy. That red hat definitely looks nice, and I love the bow work you did on it.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Hey everyone!

I've found recently that I can lose hours and hours playing around trying to fix up old hats. I love the softness of the felt, all the different styles and shapes of brim and crown to try to steam in, even (most of the time) the smell of the vintage old felt. I can start messing around with a sweatband and the next thing I know it's 3 hours past dinnertime and I'm sanding a crown or trying to stitch a ribbon with no idea where the time went...I am calling it "going down the moth-hole"

3 dollar Stetsons are a great thing for people with this affliction. I got this one at a flea market Saturday and it has been a great learning experience.
20150103_150636-vi.jpg
20150103_150658-vi.jpg
20150103_150704-vi.jpg
20150103_150217-vi.jpg

It had a 4" brim, remains of a leather hatband glued onto it and a yellowish tinge to it. Also, a bit of moth damage to the crown and to a less noticeable extent some moth tracks on the surface of the brim and crown.

After a lot of sanding, a white-gasoline bath (first time I attempted this), a re-block, a trim job down to a more manageable 3" front and back, 2 3/4" on the sides (also a first for me), a reshape and lots more sanding, it was ready for an alligator band. Or, rather, an alligator belt that I cut down...I also experimented a little with trying to repair a large moth furrow on the crown by watering down a little Elmer's glue and dabbing some in the hole and putting felt lint that I had sanded off the brim into it. Worked better than I thought it would.

The results:

20150107_164509-vi.jpg
20150107_163733-vi.jpg
20150107_170607-vi.jpg
20150107_170637-vi.jpg

I took the first two as the sun was getting pretty low but the color is still close to real life. I'm thinking about a pencil roll to the back of the brim, but not sure yet.

I think it came out well for my first conversion. Now for that old Resistol...:)

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Hey everyone!

I've found recently that I can lose hours and hours playing around trying to fix up old hats. I love the softness of the felt, all the different styles and shapes of brim and crown to try to steam in, even (most of the time) the smell of the vintage old felt. I can start messing around with a sweatband and the next thing I know it's 3 hours past dinnertime and I'm sanding a crown or trying to stitch a ribbon with no idea where the time went...I am calling it "going down the moth-hole"

3 dollar Stetsons are a great thing for people with this affliction. I got this one at a flea market Saturday and it has been a great learning experience.
View attachment 22437
View attachment 22438
View attachment 22439
View attachment 22440

It had a 4" brim, remains of a leather hatband glued onto it and a yellowish tinge to it. Also, a bit of moth damage to the crown and to a less noticeable extent some moth tracks on the surface of the brim and crown.

After a lot of sanding, a white-gasoline bath (first time I attempted this), a re-block, a trim job down to a more manageable 3" front and back, 2 3/4" on the sides (also a first for me), a reshape and lots more sanding, it was ready for an alligator band. Or, rather, an alligator belt that I cut down...I also experimented a little with trying to repair a large moth furrow on the crown by watering down a little Elmer's glue and dabbing some in the hole and putting felt lint that I had sanded off the brim into it. Worked better than I thought it would.

The results:

View attachment 22441
View attachment 22442
View attachment 22443
View attachment 22444

I took the first two as the sun was getting pretty low but the color is still close to real life. I'm thinking about a pencil roll to the back of the brim, but not sure yet.

I think it came out well for my first conversion. Now for that old Resistol...:)
Yep, you did just great! More than we would be willing to try here in my home.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Nice work,Moehawk.You saved a 3 dollar hat.I've did the glue with sanded felt fuzz to fill in a moth hole with pretty good results also.Just be careful,converting western hats can become an addiction.I'm working on my 21st conversion now.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
TYVM, mach and RJR! And yes Dogman, it can be very addictive to turn a beat-up piece of junk into a wearable piece of...art. I have the feeling that I'll be going down the moth-hole quite often now.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Yes I killed 21 westerns,that I didn't like that much.But now they have a new life as fedoras,and I love them.Joao,I still have my 7x clear beaver that I haven't trimmed.Hope that makes you feel better.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is a re do of a 3x that I liked but wanted more of a casual looking hat to wear for summer so I re did this one and repounced the felt and added different ribbons , liner, sweatband. Feels lighter and more pliable now after taking the felt down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran