Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Scuttle

One of the Regulars
Another fantastic conversion!

I don't often have the time I'd like to pore over these threads and posts, but as I scrolled down through, this image stood out:

On the head
Resistol-Westerner-in-Silverbelly-1-A.jpg

Fascinating, how subtle/slight choices in dimension (plus felt color, plus ribbon treatment, plus shirt color, plus... coffee mug?!) can make such a difference in the outcomes.

I can't tell that this hat is quantifiably different from others that you have posted-- that suit you well-- but boy howdy, does it look great! I love its 'softer' lines and creasing, the brim-to-crown proportion, the whole thing. Whatever's going on here just plain works.

Nicely done. :)

~ S.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I don't often have the time I'd like to pore over these threads and posts, but as I scrolled down through, this image stood out:

Fascinating, how subtle/slight choices in dimension (plus felt color, plus ribbon treatment, plus shirt color, plus... coffee mug?!) can make such a difference in the outcomes.

I can't tell that this hat is quantifiably different from others that you have posted-- that suit you well-- but boy howdy, does it look great! I love its 'softer' lines and creasing, the brim-to-crown proportion, the whole thing. Whatever's going on here just plain works.

~ S.
I sure appreciate your insight , the way you dissect and lay out the components of style regarding Terry's wonderful conversion.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

~ S.
Thank you, Scuttle! You have a good eye for detail. I'm glad you noticed what I was doing here. When doing thin ribbons, especially in the Silverbelly color, I try to emulate what I consider, the classic casual proportions of the OR / Strat fedoras that I've watched on movies and have seen worn by others. I do give a lot of thought to the pinch width and to the shape of the dents and how far they extend back on the crown and also to the crown height at the pinch and to the slope of the rake and the crown height in the back. I give a good deal of thought to the brim shape as well. If you notice, all of these thin ribbons below are very similar in proportion and that's what I try to capture when I do thin ribbon conversions

Hank-Williams-02.jpg

IMG-20171014-075320954-HDR.jpg

fbi-story-1-A.jpg

Here's my 7X Bradford conversion
Bradoliner-12-A.jpg

Bradoliner-8-A.jpg

and the one you commented on, (below), is a Resistol Western conversion that's yet to be completed as soon as I can find some matching 3/8 ribbon for the brim binding and for the OR style hat band. The ribbon that's on it now is only temporary...

Resistol-Westerner-in-Silverbelly-1-A.jpg

Resistol-Westerner-SB-4-A.jpg

Also notice, I do something different on my wider ribbon conversions like the Resistol below. Taller and more squared up crowns with longer dents plus a few other things I do, depending on what I'm trying to capture...

Resistol-Stagecoach-Whippet-7-A.jpg

Resistol-Whippet-8-A.jpg

Resistol-Whippet-6-A.jpg

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Just got another Black Borsa that a fellow Lounger gifted me to refurb and size up! This is a 7 1/8 that's soon going to be reblocked and sized up to a 7 1/4. My plan is to reuse the original black ribbon and bow but that may or may not be possible with the size up. Anyway, I have a plan B for the ribbon, just in case. I have plenty enough brim to work with at 3 3/8 wide and the open crown on this puppy is 6 inches tall. I have plenty of hat to work with and it should make a nice refurb project after I get finished with it. I really like the brim edge treatment, too....

Black-Borsa-II-1.jpg

Black-Borsa-II-3.jpg

Black-Borsa-II-5.jpg

Black-Borsa-II-4.jpg

Black-Borsa-II-6.jpg

Black-Borsa-II-7.jpg

Google translate says "Caldo Grigio" is translated as "Warm Gray" in English.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner