Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Black beauty Dobbs:
IMG_3073.JPG IMG_20200715_133938531_HDR.jpg IMG_3077.JPG IMG_3078.JPG
Specs:
2-5/8" x 2-3/4" Dimensional Brim
5-3/4" Crown (open)
1-5/8" Ribbon
3/8" Binding (symmetric)
116g Weight
Hopefully black hats aren't like black cats, because after snagging this one I went through a four month drought before getting another. Wonderful thin felt on this one. Definitely a brim up hat, camber style. Roundel liner crest points to early/mid 40s during WWII period per Brad Bowers. Joins my hairy green Dobbs from this same era.

I know black hats don't get much love but there's a simple elegance to them.

Black beauty Dobbs:
View attachment 247437 View attachment 247438 View attachment 247439 View attachment 247440
Specs:
5-3/4" Crown (open)
1-5/8" Ribbon
3/8" Binding (symmetric)
116g Weight
Hopefully black hats aren't like black cats, because after snagging this one I went through a four month drought before getting another. Wonderful thin felt on this one. Definitely a brim up hat, camber style. Roundel liner crest points to early/mid 40s during WWII period per Brad Bowers. Joins my hairy green Dobbs from this same era.

Elegance is the right word. I think that if you like hats you’ll eventually come around to liking black hats. While still not my favorite color, I don’t avoid them like I used to.

Good luck with the hunt!

Black beauty Dobbs:
View attachment 247437 View attachment 247438 View attachment 247439 View attachment 247440
Specs:
5-3/4" Crown (open)
1-5/8" Ribbon
3/8" Binding (symmetric)
116g Weight

Absolutely beautiful 40s Dobbs. Love it.

Black beauty Dobbs:
Specs:
5-3/4" Crown (open)
1-5/8" Ribbon
3/8" Binding (symmetric)
116g Weight
Hopefully black hats aren't like black cats, because after snagging this one I went through a four month drought before getting another. Wonderful thin felt on this one. Definitely a brim up hat, camber style. Roundel liner crest points to early/mid 40s during WWII period per Brad Bowers. Joins my hairy green Dobbs from this same era. I know black hats don't get much love but there's a simple elegance to them.
giphy (2).gif

It really is......Great find!!!

Black beauty Dobbs:
Specs:
5-3/4" Crown (open)
1-5/8" Ribbon
3/8" Binding (symmetric)
116g Weight

Excellent. Congratulations.

Black beauty Dobbs:
Specs:
5-3/4" Crown (open)
1-5/8" Ribbon
3/8" Binding (symmetric)
116g Weight

Nice catch, Jonathan. It has a nice vintage look and feel. Nothing wrong with black hats.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, all, for the likes and kind words.

@Daniele Tanto, should I ever decide to move it along you'll get first chance at it. You always seem to have excellent hats available so perhaps a trade can be worked out in the future. For the time being, however, I'll be holding on to it. :)

Elegance is the right word. I think that if you like hats you’ll eventually come around to liking black hats. While still not my favorite color, I don’t avoid them like I used to.

Good luck with the hunt!

Absolutely beautiful 40s Dobbs. Love it.

That is really nice.. I like that it has a thinner ribbon to go with that high crown.

View attachment 247533
It really is......Great find!!!

Excellent. Congratulations.

I’m lovin’ this one!

Nice catch, Jonathan. It has a nice vintage look and feel. Nothing wrong with black hats.

When you will be tired of this give me the alarm and we will find a deal ;)

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Bringing balance to the Force, Dobbs Westward Twenty in silverbelly:
IMG_20200723_133253678.jpg IMG_20200723_133405931.jpg IMG_3124.JPG
Specs:
2-3/4" Brim
5-1/2" Crown (open)
3/8" Ribbon
3/16" Binding (symmetric)
137g Weight
This one popped up on Marketplace a few days ago, a first for me. A few texts and a 10-minute city drive later I was dealing for this beauty in a Subway parking lot. Not quite NOS, but pretty darn good condition considering the light color. Bonus that it included a Dobbs box with insert in equally fine condition. Only regret was that the young woman's grandpa didn't have any more hats.

I had a very similar, though earlier, Twenty pass through my hands last year that I ended up trading to @M Hatman. Same block number, crown height, brim width, and ribbon dimension. Comparing between the two I'd give a nod to the older one but I'm definitely not complaining about this hat. I'm quite happy this one will be staying in the fold.

View attachment 249304 View attachment 249305 View attachment 249306
Specs:
2-3/4" Brim
5-1/2" Crown (open)
3/8" Ribbon
137g Weight
This one popped up on Marketplace a few days ago, a first for me. A few texts and a 10-minute city drive later I was dealing for this beauty in a Subway parking lot. Not quite NOS, but pretty darn good condition considering the light color. Bonus that it included a Dobbs box with insert in equally fine condition. Only regret was that the young woman's grandpa didn't have any more hats.

I had a very similar, though earlier, Twenty pass through my hands last year that I ended up trading to @M Hatman. Same block number, crown height, brim width, and ribbon dimension. Comparing between the two I'd give a nod to the older one but I'm definitely not complaining about this hat. I'm quite happy this one will be staying in the fold.

That’s Beautiful Jonathan... seems to be the month for Dobbs Westward.

View attachment 249304 View attachment 249305 View attachment 249306
Specs:
2-3/4" Brim
5-1/2" Crown (open)
3/8" Ribbon
137g Weight

Yes.....really, really nice!!!!!! And a Twenty Too!!!!
tenor.gif

Dobbs Fifteen
5 1/2” open crown, 2 1/2” brim with felted / Cavanagh / gild edge. The felt is gray with strong blue undertones. The ribbon is a great dark purple.

The seller’s photos showed an O.P.A. Price tag, but sadly it arrived without it.

View attachment 254897 View attachment 254898 View attachment 254899 View attachment 254900 View attachment 254901 View attachment 254902 View attachment 254903 View attachment 254904 View attachment 254905 View attachment 254906

Good get, Brent! That's a fine looking hat.

Dobbs Fifteen
5 1/2” open crown, 2 1/2” brim with felted / Cavanagh / gild edge. The felt is gray with strong blue undertones. The ribbon is a great dark purple.

The seller’s photos showed an O.P.A. Price tag, but sadly it arrived without it.

View attachment 254897 View attachment 254898 View attachment 254899 View attachment 254900 View attachment 254901 View attachment 254902 View attachment 254903 View attachment 254904 View attachment 254905 View attachment 254906
Really nice Brent. Too bad about the OPS tag. Though the price and manufacturing tag point it pretty close to second OPS era I would think. Great find.

Really nice Brent. Too bad about the OPS tag. Though the price and manufacturing tag point it pretty close to second OPS era I would think. Great find.

Thanks, Joe. O.P.A. was WW2 and O.P.S. was Korean War era. O.P.S. Went from 1950 to ‘53 so I feel comfortable with that. It also seems to match with the oilskin liner cover. I’ve been wrong on dating hats so often that I’m hesitant to even guess, but the O.P.S. tag was pretty conclusive.

I had OPA and OPS in my head as two separate OPS periods. Essentially same Idea but with slightly differs name.

Oh wow... mid 40s then if OPA? Or did you mean you saw OPS tag in photo? I was feeling early 50s. But I Too am more often than not... wrong. Usually we end up with a consensus here though as enough chime in. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21