Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Doggy Bag

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
When you haven't finished what's on your plate at a casual restaurant, do you ask to take the rest home? What about at an upscale place? Is it in bad taste to do so?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I always clean my plate. Rigorous childhood training and warnings that there are people starving in Poland ensures there isn't a crumb left.

But here's something that I've observed. We offer a service at the theatre for people coming to the show after a meal with leftovers in hand -- we check their leftovers in our refrigerator and return them to them after the show. And the overwhelming majority of people who do this are coming from upscale restaurants. Whether it's poor taste or not has been trumped by not wanting to waste money.

J.W.

A-List Customer
I can't remember when didn't eat everything that was on my plate in a restaurant. I might have left some fries because the weren't any good, but I really can't remember the last time I had leftovers. But if I had any: I'd ask the staff to put them in a box, so I can take them home. Most restaurants do that, I believe.

Flicka

One Too Many
Generally, our servings are way smaller than American so I don't have that problem. And the more upscale the restaurant, the smaller the serving...

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Do you know, I think it's a compliment to the chef if you ask to take home what's left over from your meal; clearly you think highly enough of it to want to finish it later, and why shouldn't you?

From my experience, if the restaurant is "high class" enough that you'd really be seriously concerned about the propriety of a doggy bag, there won't be anything left anyways because it's probably one of those ritzy, nouveaux cuisine establiments that serves what my wife and I like to refer to as "tower food". You know, the food served in tiny portions that's so "artfully" presented that it barely resembles food anymore?

I say don't sweat it, it's not rude.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I usually eat everything as well so I am really not qualified to answerr. If I had to leave something then it would be probably because it was not to my taste, i.e. broccoli or parsnips.
Though the last time I had a 'T' bone I wrapped up the bone in a serviette and yes it was for the dog.

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
Good heavens no. It is not wrong to ask for a to-go box, regardless of the restaurant. I always joked that there was no way my dog was getting it. It was for me! Besides, some mid-range restaurants (you know who they are) do serve very large portions. It's nice to have my next lunch boxed and ready to go.

And if you do have a dog, even if you didn't order a steak, some places will give you a bone if you ask.

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
Do you know, I think it's a compliment to the chef if you ask to take home what's left over from your meal; clearly you think highly enough of it to want to finish it later, and why shouldn't you?

I quite agree! I think it's almost in bad taste to not take the leftovers home! Especially considering they're just going in the trash if you don't!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Fairly often, whenever we don't manage to finish whatever we started.

But interestingly enough, in Australia (or Melbourne, at least), some restaurants refuse to allow this practice for fear of legal action. They'll make you sign a piece of paper before they'll even think of doing it for you.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
We ask to get it wrapped. And I, too, have found that the more fancy the restaurant, the smaller are the portions so I finish my meal. But if there is anything worth taking leftover I take it home.

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
The question normally is are you done or finished. i reply I would like to take the rest home. If it is the main course or the bread to go w/ it yes. Salad always no for me. Desert always yes if we would like.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I always clean my plate. Rigorous childhood training and warnings that there are people starving in Poland ensures there isn't a crumb left.

But here's something that I've observed. We offer a service at the theatre for people coming to the show after a meal with leftovers in hand -- we check their leftovers in our refrigerator and return them to them after the show. And the overwhelming majority of people who do this are coming from upscale restaurants. Whether it's poor taste or not has been trumped by not wanting to waste money.

What a great service that is, as well as a way to gain factual observations on who is bringing leftovers home. Thanks!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Everyone I know has always called it a 'Doggie bag'. Not sure why that is.

Some restaurants here are quite happy to bag up your leftovers for you. Others won't touch it with a barge-pole. Others will ONLY do it IF you sign a piece of paper first, saying that you won't sue.

Reason being, people go out for dinner. They order dinner. They eat dinner. They take the leftovers home. They leave it in their fridges for one...two...three days...a week...two weeks...then they take it out and eat it for a snack.

They get food-poisoning because they're stupid, and then they try and sue the restaurant.

Signing the paper means that the restaurant holds NO responsibility for the condition of the food, and any issues that may arise from it, the moment it walks out the door.

The D.A.

Familiar Face
I'm afraid I'm not high class enough to frequent fancy restaurants so I don't know what's acceptable in such places, but at casual restaurants I don't think it's bad manners to ask for a container for your leftovers. In fact, if I have anything left on my plate the servers almost always ask if I want a box for it. I, too, was trained to clean my plate, but in this day of ridiculously huge portions I often don't. I figure as long as I finish the food later those starving children in Africa my mother warned me about won't mind. :)

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why it was considered bad manners to ask for a doggie bag?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A lot of people who rose into the middle class during the mid-twentieth century were very sensitive about their origins -- being seen in public to take leftovers home smacked of Depression-era working-class values, something seen as quite declasse in postwar suburbia. It wouldn't do to be seen climbing into one's new Mercury all dressed up, with a greasy paper bag in one's hands.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Everyone I know has always called it a 'Doggie bag'. Not sure why that is.

Some restaurants here are quite happy to bag up your leftovers for you. Others won't touch it with a barge-pole. Others will ONLY do it IF you sign a piece of paper first, saying that you won't sue.

Reason being, people go out for dinner. They order dinner. They eat dinner. They take the leftovers home. They leave it in their fridges for one...two...three days...a week...two weeks...then they take it out and eat it for a snack.

They get food-poisoning because they're stupid, and then they try and sue the restaurant.

Signing the paper means that the restaurant holds NO responsibility for the condition of the food, and any issues that may arise from it, the moment it walks out the door.

Seriously people sue for eating bad left overs? I am really amazed.

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
Apparently, the term is thought to have come about under the assumption it would have been given to the diner's pet. The Wiki explanation for "leftovers" included that information as well as that the term may have come from the East Anglian word "docky," which means lunch.
We haven't heard that term here in decades, but call it a take out box.
Here the servers ask you if you want them to "wrap that up" toward the end of the meal. The portions are often pretty large, so I take mine home, unless it's something that won't keep well like salad. This is a great way to have lunch ready the next day. :) It also sets the example for my boys that I practice what I preach. Yes, I give the "starving around the world including right here in the US" lecture. :)
According to that same Wiki paragraph, there are certain countries where that would be frowned upon and they listed France as the example. I've never been there, but perhaps their portions are nearer to suggested serving sizes per meal so there isn't, typically, much to take?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy