Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The dream

Wesne

One of the Regulars
It's all Johnnyphi's fault. After reading his posts about the fabulous cache of unsold vintage hats he uncovered, and the replies by forum members saying this is the sort of stuff dreams are made of, it was probably inevitable.

I had a dream last night in which I went into a little cafe that had been put in the front, ground-floor section of an old haberdashery. The place was actually closed but I was overcome by curiosity and sneaked in. I could see there was an upstairs loft, and I made my way up there and saw hatboxes upon hatboxes, and old advertising placards. (They were Adam hats by the way - before going to bed I had been looking at a nice Adam hat listed on eBay.) I saw the proprietor of the cafe in the back and started explaining myself, and asked if I could take a closer look at the inventory. She told me I could... and then I woke up before I could proceed.

So there you go Johnnyphi - it's true, we really do dream about this kind of thing. :eek:

Bogie

One of the Regulars
A haberdashery and a cafe? Now only if it only made premium Colombian blend and every hat was an Art Fawcett original. lol lol

I haven't had any hat dreams yet....but I figure they will show up eventually.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I'm waiting for an Akubra that got shipped the first of December. So I dream every morning I hear the door bell ring. Yes, we dream of hats....

carter

I'll Lock Up
KY Gentleman said:
I'm waiting for an Akubra that got shipped the first of December. So I dream every morning I hear the door bell ring. Yes, we dream of hats....

I'm dreaming of an Akubra whose delivery was guaranteed by Christmas.

It's somewhere in postal limbo I guess. :(

Mustang

One of the Regulars
KY Gentleman said:

carter said:
I'm dreaming of an Akubra whose delivery was guaranteed by Christmas.

It's somewhere in postal limbo I guess. :(

Yikes, to hold me over before I can gather enough cash to have Art make me a hat, I decided I'll be purchasing an Akubra Syndey. But that worries me. Especially since patience is NOT one of my virtues. I wonder, did you guys order them directly from Akubra?

carter

I'll Lock Up
The 1st Akubra I ordered from Hats Direct was delivered in less than a week from Australia. No problem.

I ordered my 2nd Akubra from Outback Outlet in Oxford, PA. Nothing has gone well since I paid them on Dec. 20. Email correspondence regarding nondelivery is copied below.

(Received today in response to my earlier email seen below)

Mr Carter,
I do apologize for the order not shipping sooner than it did this is not a habit of ours and we would like to make it up to you with a 20% discount or free shipping on your next online purchase if you decide to keep your merchandise. Tracking #1Z9R5V430347051427
You may refuse your shipment when delivered by UPS if you do not refuse it, open it and still want to send it back your RA#BFS10208, please print the number on the outside of the box and if you open the box put the number inside of the box too. You will need to do this to receive credit for your merchandise.

Please inform me of your decision.
Beverly Smith
Outback Company Store
29 S. Third Street
Oxford,PA 19363
610-932-5008
"It's Worth The Drive"

Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 1:59 AM
To: Beverly Smith
Subject: My failed delivery - twice!

Hello,
My Order # 2283 was placed and paid for on December 20, 2007. I was assured of pre-Christmas delivery.
When my order failed to be delivered as promised, I called your 800 number.
The gentleman I spoke with appeared to be confused and told me my order failed to ship as "everyone had extra days off due to Christmas", It's too bad you failed to inform your paying customers. He also told me that my order had been shipped.
It is now January 2, 2008 and I still have not received the goods I paid for.
Your company was highly recommended by a member of the Fedora Lounge. Frankly, I do not know why. This is beginning to look like nothing more than a scam.
Please provide tracking information immediately upon receipt of this email.
If you are unable to do so. Please refund my payment in full immediately.

I remain disgruntled and unimpressed to say the least.
Carter

The statement that they "would like to make it up to you with a 20% discount or free shipping on your next online purchase" is laughable. This kind of service deserves no repeat business. It would have been better to refund the shipping on this order. I doubt that there will be any repeat business from me.

carter

I'll Lock Up
apipeguy said:
Carter, thanks for naming the retailer. FLounge is advised.

They still haven't told me what the ship date was. Makes me wonder if they still haven't shipped.
Please remember, this is just my experience.

Others seem to have had better luck with this company.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Carter...I think thats the place we all got our Akubra Adventurers from. The girl I spoke with when I placed my order was most definitely confused, but I did eventually get my hat. I think they're a small firm, and get overwhelmed during large order periods...I'm just wondering what hats they are bringing in. They were clearing out all Akubras to make room for some other hats...[huh]

carter

I'll Lock Up
Colby Jack said:
Carter...I think thats the place we all got our Akubra Adventurers from. The girl I spoke with when I placed my order was most definitely confused, but I did eventually get my hat. I think they're a small firm, and get overwhelmed during large order periods...I'm just wondering what hats they are bringing in. They were clearing out all Akubras to make room for some other hats...[huh]

They definitely appear to be understaffed and somewhat overwhelmed. Which equates to an underwhelming buying experience.

They provided a UPS tracking number and I checked this online plus talking with a UPS agent.

UPS did not receive the package until december 27 and it will be delivered by end of day tomorrow.

Mustang

One of the Regulars
carter said:
The statement that they "would like to make it up to you with a 20% discount or free shipping on your next online purchase" is laughable. This kind of service deserves no repeat business. It would have been better to refund the shipping on this order. I doubt that there will be any repeat business from me.
Absolutely! How about a shipping refund or a 20% discount on that order! I always say, the mark of a good company is not the lack of mistakes. It is how they handle the mistakes. To me, this company failed. :mad:

I think her "signature" speaks volumes though:
carter said:
Please inform me of your decision.
Beverly Smith
Outback Company Store
29 S. Third Street
Oxford,PA 19363
610-932-5008
"It's Worth The Drive"

Notice..."It's Worth the Drive", but nothing mentioned about online or over the phone orders! :rolleyes::eusa_doh:

carter

I'll Lock Up
The Riverina finally arrived !

apipeguy said:
Carter, any luck?

The hat was delivered by UPS the evening of January 3. UPS certainly knows what they are doing.

As for Ms. Smith, she never responded to the last email I sent her.

Oh yeah, the hat is a keeper.
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy