Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:

The next day I wore a big Borso, Hollywood-bashed, hoping an attractive cougar would mistake me for Johnny Depp.

Good luck, Bro! but don't stray too far from the herd! :eek:

dennis-rodman-bad.png

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The other day I was wearing a grey work of Art that was an Joe Friday inspired hat. Brown Wested LC jacket, Tilley bush shirt, 501's and my black Blundstones.

A female co-worker said I looked really good....... Then said I looked like a vampire.......[huh]

I am sure she meant it as a compliment so I just tipped my hat and thanked her.

Vampire... Oh My. :eek:

Johnny

cptjeff

Practically Family
johnnycanuck said:
The other day I was wearing a grey work of Art that was an Joe Friday inspired hat. Brown Wested LC jacket, Tilley bush shirt, 501's and my black Blundstones.

A female co-worker said I looked really good....... Then said I looked like a vampire.......[huh]

Johnny
With Twilight and all, you never know what that might mean these days...

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
johnnycanuck said:

Johnny
If the hat was black I may have seen where she was coming from. But with a grey hat and a brown jacket? :eusa_doh: I'd have nearly understood an Indy comment.

To be honest I think that if any lounger should get a vampire comment it would be Mario or myself, and only because we sometimes wear a lot of black. However, I'm too yellow to pass as a member of the undead. Perhaps when I get the homburg that's on its way to me I could pair it with my cape whilst carrying my bat...

The Good

Call Me a Cab
cptjeff said:
With Twilight and all, you never know what that might mean these days...

I watched the first Twilight, and here's what I think. It was long, drawn-out, and the "vampires" weren't of your traditional, Count Dracula-esque ilk at all. They were just modern-looking hipsters that were extremely pale, glowed in the sunlight, and played baseball with werewolves. I wasn't particularly impressed, though the books may be better than the actual films.

Just repeat to yourself: Bela Lugosi...Bela Lugosi...Bela Lugosi...

Now that's a real vampire... Bela Lugosi was the best for vampire/Dracula roles ever. No modern actor can compare when it comes to vampires. Not that all that many vampire movies are being made now beside the Twilight stuff...

But yeah, a vampire comment? That's new. I've always thought that the brown leather jacket and fedora combo (no matter the color) would draw Indiana Jones comments in general, or at least cowboy. I don't wear leather jackets (yet), but I have got the Indiana Jones and cowboy comment quite a few times.

frussell

One Too Many
No Vampires Where I Live

I took a recent purchase in to my local tailor to see if she could replace a ribbon for me, as my ribbon sewing skills are poor. She is an older lady, and a second older lady was in the shop while I was there. I was surprised that neither of them knew what to call the hat, due to their age. When the customer asked me when I would wear the hat, the seamstress said "when he wants to look like a tough guy, or a big tough gangster." I told her I didn't really need the hat for that, and she took a look at me and said "No, I guess you don't." I'm a peaceful fellow, but I am about 6'5", and roughly 285 lbs. In my area, if you wear a fedora, the first thing that comes to people's minds is not cowboy, but "O.G., original gangster." The only other guys I see wearing fedoras here are usually tatted-up gang veteranos who have somehow survived into their middle years. You know you live in the wrong place when old ladies assume you want to be "gangsta" if you've got a hat on. Come on, I wasn't even wearing my bling, and I didn't have a huge white t-shirt and my white socks pulled up to the hem of my baggy pant/shorts. Frank

frussell

One Too Many
Well...

I did have my "Scarface" t-shirt and my neck and head tattoos were visible. Plus I took my shirt off, and they could see my "Hat Life" Tupac-style tattoo that arches over my sixpack. Frank

Jerekson

One Too Many
TO JB

JB, now I don't want to insinuate any type of offensive negativity towards your family. But let me just say, that for the record, this is easily one of the stupidest situations I've ever encountered.

I'm a "big picture" guy, and conflicts based on meaningless details and vague symbolism really tick me off. If I were in your situation I would make it perfectly clear that they are, indeed, having their "lives ruined" by someone wearing a plain article of clothing. I'm really good at making people feel stupid. Just make them realize the insignifigance of what they're fighting for.

Tell them to ask themselves:
"If the world were to end tomorrow, would you still be thinking about this?"
Sadly that concept is too deep for many people to grasp. But sometimes it works for the more intellectually inclined. Give it a shot. Get their minds working and break them out of their linear world.

But maybe that isn't the best route to take if trying to preserve peace. I wouldn't know; you'll have to pardon me if I'm being anti-social. I'm a bit of a recluse, a hermit and a transcendentalist at heart. People don't usually do the trick for me. As much as it truly pains me to say this (I would very much like to feel otherwise, believe me) I have lost alot of faith in humanity after watching it develop over the past two decades. Give it another twenty years and I shudder to think where we'll be. If I have my way, when that time comes I'll be living in a bunker out in the desert and talking to rocks.

Yow, I hope that wasn't too depressing.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Jerekson said:
JB, now I don't want to insinuate any type of offensive negativity towards your family. But let me just say, that for the record, this is easily one of the stupidest situations I've ever encountered.

I'm a "big picture" guy, and conflicts based on meaningless details and vague symbolism really tick me off. If I were in your situation I would make it perfectly clear that they are, indeed, having their "lives ruined" by someone wearing a plain article of clothing. I'm really good at making people feel stupid. Just make them realize the insignifigance of what they're fighting for.

Tell them to ask themselves:
"If the world were to end tomorrow, would you still be thinking about this?"
Sadly that concept is too deep for many people to grasp. But sometimes it works for the more intellectually inclined. Give it a shot. Get their minds working and break them out of their linear world.

But maybe that isn't the best route to take if trying to preserve peace. I wouldn't know; you'll have to pardon me if I'm being anti-social. I'm a bit of a recluse, a hermit and a transcendentalist at heart. People don't usually do the trick for me. As much as it truly pains me to say this (I would very much like to feel otherwise, believe me) I have lost alot of faith in humanity after watching it develop over the past two decades. Give it another twenty years and I shudder to think where we'll be. If I have my way, when that time comes I'll be living in a bunker out in the desert and talking to rocks.

Yow, I hope that wasn't too depressing.

Ultimately, I believe that I'll be going the route of preserving the peace. As a matter in fact, I went on a walk up the street and to the park with my younger brother (age is 14). I brought along my Federation, and it wasn't long before he noticed it, "Oh you brought the hat?" Well, I just told him, yep, I wanted to wear it to keep myself warm (I was wearing a casual red and black plaid zipper jacket too, it really was pretty cold for southern California at that time). I then had the nerve to ask him, "So what was with you guys recently and the hat?" He basically told me (in all his honestly, I think) he didn't think it looked good on me, but that my other (middle) brother, aged 15, disliked the whole getup even more, and had more of an issue with it.

I think he was also about to make a remark about my clothes being "too formal," but then he noticed what I was wearing, and commented that it was good that I was wearing normal clothes at least (basically the windbreaker jacket, jeans, button-front shortsleeved shirt with collar, t-shirt underneath, leather shoes and belt, etc).

I just simply told him that I have pretty much always my entire life (even to this day) predominantly worn jeans the most often (not that I see much wrong with that at all, I actually like jeans, as long as they're of good quality, functional work pants and all). Well, I wasn't offended in the least bit, and I'm glad I got the chance to talk to him about this. I went on about how he should be more tolerant of what I wear, just as I'm tolerant of what they wear.

I just told him that I think fedoras are cool, I like the style, and have always (despite not dressing like that) been more inclined towards classic styles in general. He seemed to be receptive and understanding of the whole situation at the time. He wasn't putting me down or anything.

I think I may have some work to do with my middle brother, though. He seems to be even less understanding of the whole thing I have with fedoras and classic, yet conservative styles, and simply put, just doesn't like my dress sense (that's not to say that he hates me at all, there's definitely a brotherly love in our family, despite the good and bad times we've went through).

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Nick D said:
Either! lol

Me too! I like both, actually, despite how horrifically bad Plan 9 From Outer Space was! lol

I actually got Plan 9 as a birthday gift last year, and it was a disc that had included a color version too, now that was very enjoyable, watching my favorite worst-movie that was traditionally back-and-white, in color.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
J B said:
I then had the nerve to ask him, "So what was with you guys recently and the hat?" He basically told me (in all his honestly, I think) he didn't think it looked good on me, but that my other (middle) brother, aged 15, disliked the whole getup even more, and had more of an issue with it.

At least he said the truth. That's good.

So in other words, when they annoy you about it, they are expressing their opinion too frequently, rather than minding their own business.

Perhaps the only way to get them to shut up and leave you alone is to get them to the point where they are afraid to bother you about it. Often fear is a useful tool for the goal of being left alone.

Might be best to provide this by confronting them more often and making it so annoying and stressful for them, whenever they bring it up, that they shut up and stop talking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters