Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
AXL DEMOCRACY said:
I had my Lee Whippet on the other day and on the subway in NYC a bunch of uneducated trashy girls said I was "some wannabe Romeo and Juliet motherf**ker."

Not very nice. But as usual, I just laughed it off.

Maybe they've recently seen a modern production of Romeo and Juliet, one in which the players were wearing fedoras. Tybalt, undoubtedly, a black one.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
AXL DEMOCRACY said:
I had my Lee Whippet on the other day and on the subway in NYC a bunch of uneducated trashy girls said I was "some wannabe Romeo and Juliet motherf**ker."

Not very nice. But as usual, I just laughed it off.

That doesn't even make sense, and it's just wrong to drag Shakespeare into such a trashy comment.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
cptjeff said:
What from that comment makes you think they know anything about Shakespeare?
I agree. I was trying to think if they might be referring to the Baz Lurhmann movie, but I don't remember anyone wearing fedoras in that.

Bingles

A-List Customer
ScionPI2005 said:
As I was leaving work yesterday, I got another Indy comment from one of the dispatchers. He's made jokes about them before, and I definitely don't take them seriously. I was wearing my steel gray Akubra Stylemaster, and he yelled out the window on my way out "The Anthropology building is down the street!" (I work at a university, with an anthropology building literally down the street). I just laughed.[/QUOTE

Tell him to join you.. and maybe he can "dig up" a better reference next time.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Bingles said:
ScionPI2005 said:
As I was leaving work yesterday, I got another Indy comment from one of the dispatchers. He's made jokes about them before, and I definitely don't take them seriously. I was wearing my steel gray Akubra Stylemaster, and he yelled out the window on my way out "The Anthropology building is down the street!" (I work at a university, with an anthropology building literally down the street). I just laughed.[/QUOTE

Tell him to join you.. and maybe he can "dig up" a better reference next time.

*Grin* I could do that.

The first comment he made was a few months ago when he told me at the end of my shift that "people with ugly hats need to go home", and then made an Indy comment. I rolled my eyes and winced and said something to the effect that I would take any comment over an Indy comment--that he should say I look like Sam Spade, or at least Dick Tracy. I was wearing the same gray Akubra Stylemaster too, so not even a real Indy fedora resemblance.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
ScionPI2005 said:
... The first comment he made was a few months ago when he told me at the end of my shift that "people with ugly hats need to go home", and then made an Indy comment. ...

Some folks with low self esteem rely on putting others down to make themselves feel better.

cptjeff

Practically Family
ScionPI2005 said:
Bingles said:
*Grin* I could do that.

The first comment he made was a few months ago when he told me at the end of my shift that "people with ugly hats need to go home", and then made an Indy comment. I rolled my eyes and winced and said something to the effect that I would take any comment over an Indy comment--that he should say I look like Sam Spade, or at least Dick Tracy. I was wearing the same gray Akubra Stylemaster too, so not even a real Indy fedora resemblance.

The correct response is "Dang, why do I have to stay?"

DC3

New in Town
I live in the same area as Jamespowers and I've gotten a couple of Indy comments. Frankly they don't really bother me as long as they are not nasty. As a matter of fact I'm glad someone is noticing when I'm wearing a brown, high crown fedora, and a leather A-2. At least it's something other than a darn baseball hat. It's like men don't know about any other type. As a matter of fact the wait staff at our favorite restaurant always comments positively on whatever hat I wear in on Friday night.
I'm a firm believer that if more people wore more fedoras, homburgs, outbacks, and wide brims for example, leaving the baseball hats for the game, we'd have even more choices, at lesser prices.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
ScionPI2005 said:
Bingles said:
*Grin* I could do that.

I woulda smiled and said something like, 'Well, then I can definitely stay!'

markapsolon

New in Town
laughter

So far I have not got any Indy or other comments but I think it will come the more I dress up and wear my fedoras. So far the strangest thing that has happened is a young black gentleman did a double take at me in a store and started dying laughing. He did not say anything but I was all dressed up and in Wal-mart..lol that adds some humor to it imo :)

Bingles

A-List Customer
I work at walmart (since no one is hiring teachers at the moment) and wear a hat to work every day. I actually get lots of compliments on them.. though I do get looked at oddly if I happen to stop in to grab something and I'm dressed in a suit... then I really feel out of place.

I'm noticing that stingy brims *seem* to be more socially acceptable that the traditional larger brimmed hat. Yes? No? [huh]

markapsolon

New in Town
Bingles said:
I'm noticing that stingy brims *seem* to be more socially acceptable that the traditional larger brimmed hat. Yes? No? [huh]

I'm not sure about the socially acceptable part on the stingy
The hat I was wearing at the time was a Dobbs jet with a 1 7/8 inch brim so it was not that wide. I have one stingy straw hat but it make my head look huge because the brim is so short. If the brim were a little wider it would be prefect but I guess thats what you get when you buy a hat over the internet :)

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
My gut response would be that stingy brims are more widely accepted than wider brimmed hats; although maybe that really isn't true. The reason I may think that could be due to the cloth and plaid modern "punk" fedoras that places like Hot Topic seem to sale these days that frequent many young folks' heads.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
So hot right now...

I see a lot of stingys around Sydney these days but few of decent quality.

I've worn my Akubra Hampton through the summer down here and a good fur hat does seem to stand out. I wear it pretty casually (often with polo shirt, shorts and flip flops) and find I get a lot of "nice hat" type comments and have not had a negative one yet.

Compare that with the occasional snide remark I've copped for my Black Beaver and my Fed IV and I'd agreee that the stingy is much more socially acceptable down-under at the moment.

DSCN3737.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn