Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenris

One of the Regulars
Well, I saw something today. It was a comment in Facebook by someone. I was searching for the keyword "fedora" hoping to see if there were any fedora related groups in FB.

I came across some negative comments about fedoras in the "related posts" tab.

First up, a post by some woman and it says, "men in fedoras are retarded"

And another one when I scrolled down, "I hate when dudes where fedoras especially when they look lame as hell here's the rundown people who can wear fedoras mobsters, Leon S. Kennedy, and Yatzhee Croshaw if your not anyone of those people take that s**t off!!!"

Very sad...

The Good

Call Me a Cab
fenris said:
Well, I saw something today. It was a comment in Facebook by someone. I was searching for the keyword "fedora" hoping to see if there were any fedora related groups in FB.

And another one when I scrolled down, "I hate when dudes where fedoras especially when they look lame as hell here's the rundown people who can wear fedoras mobsters, Leon S. Kennedy, and Yatzhee Croshaw if your not anyone of those people take that s**t off!!!"

Very sad...

Right, I think I remember seeing the "men in fedoras are retarded" group. Ignorant, and impolite.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I recieve little criticism in my choice not only of fedoras but my old fashioned dress code here in Juneau (where most people look like they've been camping in the woods for a week)

One conversation went like this...

Man: Hey!
Me: Yes?
Man: Why're you dressed up?
Me: Who says I am?
Man: Me, you look like you're going to the opera or something
Sidenote: This was said at me wearing a tucked in button down shirt, slacks and a fedora.
Me: I just like dressing the way I do, Sir.
Man: In case you didn't notice, you're in Alaska, this is wild country. You've gotta take protect yourself up here.
Me: Well, you're right it is Alaska, but this is the second largest city in the state and a major metropolitan area and tourist destination at that, this isn't the Klondike in the middle of winter. Plus if Shell Simmons (* one of the founders of Alaskan Airlines*) could fly his bush plane to an almost certain frozen death wearing a suit and fedora, then I can at least look the part today.
Man: Shell Who?
Me: Have a good day, Sir.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
The Indy comment is a rather rare beast here in the streets of Berlin but I do receive it a lot in the late night shop around the corner (wearing a suit and a fedora). What I get every now and then is the Joseph Beuys remark... :eusa_doh:

Obviously most people here are in serious need of a major upgrade as they seem to suffer from a sadly unsophisticated pattern recognition algorithm. [huh]

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I have gotten mostly compliments during my stay in Italy so far, but I have gotten laughed at buy a bunch of high schoolers, had the Indiana Jones theme whistled at me, and, much to my enjoyment, been called Sherlock Holmes.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
fenris said:

Very sad...

Possibly they refer to the lamentable punks who wear the 1/2" brimmed cloth pinstripe numbers (typically in conjunction with 'Pants on the Ground'), who act 'cool'? That, or we should start the 'I hate dudes who hate dudes who wear fedoras' faction. :eek: :p :rolleyes:

:D

fenris

One of the Regulars
fenris said:

Very sad...

As for the 2nd comment... She can't even write or spell correctly! Punctuation marks were invented for a reason. And she thinks we're lame! Yeesh!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Yeps said:
I have gotten mostly compliments during my stay in Italy so far, but I have gotten laughed at buy a bunch of high schoolers, had the Indiana Jones theme whistled at me, and, much to my enjoyment, been called Sherlock Holmes.

Oh yes, Holmes. I've got that one too - and way before that last Sherlock Holmes flick with Robert Downey Jr. was released. :rolleyes:

A couple of das ago someone actually had the mind to call me Blixa Bargeld...! I mean...Blixa Bargeld? What the... :eek: That one almost silenced me. :eusa_doh: [huh]

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Blixa? That one...

Mario said:
Oh yes, Holmes. I've got that one too - and way before that last Sherlock Holmes flick with Robert Downey Jr. was released. :rolleyes:

A couple of das ago someone actually had the mind to call me Blixa Bargeld...! I mean...Blixa Bargeld? What the... :eek: That one almost silenced me. :eusa_doh: [huh]

...drove me straight to Google.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mario said:

I'm a huge Neubauten fan here. That would be a great compliment to me.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
scottyrocks said:
One thing about ignorance is that the more ignorant you are, the less you even know that you're ignorant at all. Sort of like a snowball rolling down a hill.

Yes. Socrates observed this too. You are right.

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
Mr Vim said:
I recieve little criticism in my choice not only of fedoras but my old fashioned dress code here in Juneau (where most people look like they've been camping in the woods for a week)

One conversation went like this...

Man: Hey!
Me: Yes?
Man: Why're you dressed up?
Me: Who says I am?
Man: Me, you look like you're going to the opera or something
Sidenote: This was said at me wearing a tucked in button down shirt, slacks and a fedora.
Me: I just like dressing the way I do, Sir.
Man: In case you didn't notice, you're in Alaska, this is wild country. You've gotta take protect yourself up here.
Me: Well, you're right it is Alaska, but this is the second largest city in the state and a major metropolitan area and tourist destination at that, this isn't the Klondike in the middle of winter. Plus if Shell Simmons (* one of the founders of Alaskan Airlines*) could fly his bush plane to an almost certain frozen death wearing a suit and fedora, then I can at least look the part today.
Man: Shell Who?
Me: Have a good day, Sir.
From one Alaskan to another, I tip my hat to you there, sir.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Vim as a guy who grew up in Fairbanks, I know what you are talking about. Putting on a button up shirt is alway sure to spark comments from the cabin hippie crowd ;)

coble

A-List Customer
i too have had the comments of indiana jones, but most the time its from my brother giving me a hard time because thats what brothers do. Now i did have someone at church ask me what time period i was going for, i looked at him and said 20-30's he smiled and went you pull it off very well. Its too bad i can't wear a hat like that, and wear that style. I looked at him and said, sure you can, who says you can't.
I also get that comment of, you look Dapper today. But the best thing that ever happened was. I went to cirque de soleil alegria here in houston. The main character took me off my chair and danced with me. I was in my 1950's stetson a white button up, vest, and all black wingtips. Then took my seat sat next to my wife, and then went on the with the show.
Now if you guys have ever gone to a cirque de soleil show, its awesome. Well during the whole show i had one character tap my hat, to another switch mine for his bowler.
So just on a side note of good remarks. It was a change of the normal stares i get from people around the area, i do see a lot of trilby and flat caps here in houston though. There getting more and more popular even though they buy most of them at Target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred