Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

kindofblue

New in Town
I just bought a Fedora and have not worn it enough yet to provoke comments.

But, I was wearing a driver's cap, and a kid asked me, "Where were you born?" I told her the town I was born in and she said, "Oh," and appeared dissapointed. I asked what was wrong, and she said that she was sure that I must have been born in England because people in England wear those kind of hats. lol

I laughed. It was very funny.

I don't take offense about people making stupid comments. There are idiots everywhere who have to make themselves feel good by cutting others down. I just ignore those people....they are not worth the time it takes to respond.

But good natured comments are always welcome to me.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
kindofblue said:
But, I was wearing a driver's cap, and a kid asked me, "Where were you born?" I told her the town I was born in and she said, "Oh," and appeared dissapointed. I asked what was wrong, and she said that she was sure that I must have been born in England because people in England wear those kind of hats. lol

He's right, they are supposed to hand those out at the hospital.;)

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
kindofblue said:
I just bought a Fedora and have not worn it enough yet to provoke comments.

I laughed. It was very funny.

I don't take offense about people making stupid comments. There are idiots everywhere who have to make themselves feel good by cutting others down. I just ignore those people....they are not worth the time it takes to respond.

But good natured comments are always welcome to me.

Well kids will be kids and I welcome their questions of curiosity. That's how they learn. I even welcome questions like that from adults. I know for one that I would ask why someone might be wearing a Civil War outfit out in public. It’s all a degree of your understanding. But the rude comments I ignore.

Most of the Detectives in Atlanta wear fedoras. How about you cities? Do you see that a lot? Wouldn’t it be great if it became more of a common site?

Muzz

New in Town
Frown Town

Nobody here in Seattle looks at or speaks to eachother, so I'll proably never hear any comments! I actually wouldn't mind a "Gangster" or an "Indy" at least someone would be speaking to me!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Stinchcomb said:
Well kids will be kids and I welcome their questions of curiosity. That's how they learn. I even welcome questions like that from adults. I know for one that I would ask why someone might be wearing a Civil War outfit out in public. It’s all a degree of your understanding. But the rude comments I ignore.

Most of the Detectives in Atlanta wear fedoras. How about you cities? Do you see that a lot? Wouldn’t it be great if it became more of a common site?
Wait a minute. You are not supposed to know they are detectives! ;) No, really, I remember the sharp hats they wore in Atlanta. Unfortunately I know from experience that they wear them in Rochester, too. Looks nice.

The Wingnut said:
'Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him. Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.'

Quite right. Why let someone get away with being a smart aleck with impunity so he won't even think twice before he does it to someone else? I always think of the next man down the line who gets the same thing and might not be as comfortable in his own skin. Turn the tables on him and make him use his/her brain---for once. :p Keep the world safe for the hat wearing public out there. After all, we are the Fedora Lounge. :cheers1:

Regards,

J

Celia Crowson

Familiar Face
I somehow always get stupid remarks about using an umbrella when the sun is out - always something along the lines of 'is it raining?', etc.......
Maybe because I live in Australia and I do not have the bronzed aussie mentality of wanting to fry myself so my skin looks like an antique piece of leather I am open to jibes - or they are trying to be witty.

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
J. M. Stovall said:
Well, I had my first negative comment about my headgear. Over the weekend I went over to the local doughnut shop to pick up a special breakfast for the family. I've worn a fedora there before (since I pretty much wear them all the time), and as I was leaving the young fellow, probably early 20's, and his female companion were coming up the sidewalk and I heard him say something. He wasn't talking very loudly, I actually thought he was talking to her. It was playing over in my mind and I realized what he said as I was driving away, "Nice hat @$$hole". It actually cracked me up when it hit me, I guess he was just trying to impress his girl?lol
Something similar happened to me. Instead of "Nice hat @$$hole", I was the "Dumb@$$ wearing that hat". I probably shouldn't have, but I did stoop to his level.

Doh!

One Too Many
I got a new one this past weekend in the elevator of the Hoover Dam tour: Hargist and I were at the front (looking pretty sharp, I might add -- see "Mondo Lounge" photos in the Events section) and from behind us some frat boy blurts out, "It's the Blues Brothers!" Silence. And then he adds, "I guess they didn't think it was funny." Well, you know what, Sparky, nobody else did either based on the silence your "witty" remark was met with. And this was a CROWDED elevator, folks.

Now, I'll admit I'm looking more like Belushi than Aykroyd these days, but how do you see two guys in non-black suits sporting a grey porkpie and charcoal grey, wide-ish brimmed fedora and make the leap to Blues Brothers? I didn't say anything back but what really bugs me is he didn't have the man-parts to say it to our faces. We were at the Dam for a couple of hours so he had plenty of time to be "witty."

Maybe he was just an Illinois Nazi.

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
J.S.Udontknowme said:
Something similar happened to me. Instead of "Nice hat @$$hole", I was the "Dumb@$$ wearing that hat". I probably shouldn't have, but I did stoop to his level.

Yeah, unfortunately, If someone called me one of those names, I would have to stoop to there level as well and try to take it to a physical level. I’ve gotten the Indy comment once and ignored it. Someone called me Tex once (here in the South I guess they thinks it’s a small cowboy hat), I just stared at him and he looked away, I guess hoping I didn’t think it was him. For the most part no negative comments, a few stares, and a few nice comments, when I wear my favorite toppers. I admit I do wear a ball cap most of the time in order to avoid confrontations. Call me a wimp, but I don’t want to go to jail or the hospital, what ever the outcome.:eek:

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Muzz said:
Nobody here in Seattle looks at or speaks to eachother, so I'll proably never hear any comments! I actually wouldn't mind a "Gangster" or an "Indy" at least someone would be speaking to me!

I'll beg to differ on that account, just yesterday I got a "nice hat" from someone in Victor Steinbreck Park on my way out to lunch.

Thankfully, while I have received several positive comments, I've yet to receive the "Indy" or similar. I'm sure it will happen eventually.

kindofblue

New in Town
I wore my fedora this morning to the office.

The oldest member of my firm saw me and said, "We are a rare breed." He wears fedoras also. I told him I had caught the bug. I think he enjoys having a young guy around that wears hats.

Doh! said:
I got a new one this past weekend in the elevator of the Hoover Dam tour: Hargist and I were at the front (looking pretty sharp, I might add -- see "Mondo Lounge" photos in the Events section) and from behind us some frat boy blurts out, "It's the Blues Brothers!" Silence. And then he adds, "I guess they didn't think it was funny." Well, you know what, Sparky, nobody else did either based on the silence your "witty" remark was met with. And this was a CROWDED elevator, folks.

Now, I'll admit I'm looking more like Belushi than Akroyd these days, but how do you see two guys in non-black suits sporting a grey porkpie and charcoal grey, wide-ish brimmed fedora and make the leap to Blues Brothers? I didn't say anything back but what really bugs me is he didn't have the man-parts to say it to our faces. We were at the Dam for a couple of hours so he had plenty of time to be "witty."

Maybe he was just an Illinois Nazi.

I have actually gotten the Blues Brothers comment once. Response : Who are they?
After a pause and thinking it through the guy said forget it. :p ;)

Regards,

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran