Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
LordBest said:
I was walking down the street this morning, wearing my grey Churchill fedora. A car pulls pulls over to the curb and a young man sticks his head out...
Wow. Just... wow. What a sad individual.

ortega76

Practically Family
jazzncocktails said:
I've heard that too, Widebrim. And the look on people's faces when they make this association often reflects the line from the Seinfeld episode in which Jerry and George are "outed" as a gay couple by a newspaper reporter (a college paper, if I recall). Jerry's repeated line in denying he's gay: "Not that there's anything wrong with that!" He's trying to claim he's unbiased when in reality he's uncomfortable as hell with the idea.

Not long ago I attended a harvest festival in the Temecula Valley in San Diego county--about 20 wineries, many of them offering very good local wines. I wore a cheap Jaxon houndstooth stingy pinch fedora, as the event was casual and it was a hot weekend, along with a black and white Cubana shirt. Our large group consisted of both gay and straight couples...and one of the single, straight women couldn't stop commenting on my "metrosexuality." I was, in her words, "the last metrosexual."

I took the comment as a positive, if odd reflection. Men with style are "odd" in many people's minds today--a sad reflection on the times.

You know, I think there are still some sub-cultures where looking put together is a bit more common, even if the aesthetics are a different than what I may prefer. I'm thinking of many African-American and Latino communities. I know a lot of guys in those communities who have grown out of the thug look and really like to express themselves with clothes. While I may not dig my old friend's plaid 6 button suit with gators and a bowler, I'll take that over my younger cousin's 3XL sweatshirt and baggy jeans. At least the former is making the effort for a more polished look.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't assign a race to that, ortega. Its offensive. Terminology such as "Thug Look" and even the association of the like to "African-American and Latino Communities" are not necessary and in many cases inaccurate. There are other persons and/or cultures that sport 3XL sweatshirts and baggy jeans. In future references maybe just say "I saw a guy wearing x" and that will do.

ortega76 said:
You know, I think there are still some sub-cultures where looking put together is a bit more common, even if the aesthetics are a different than what I may prefer. I'm thinking of many African-American and Latino communities. I know a lot of guys in those communities who have grown out of the thug look and really like to express themselves with clothes. While I may not dig my old friend's plaid 6 button suit with gators and a bowler, I'll take that over my younger cousin's 3XL sweatshirt and baggy jeans. At least the former is making the effort for a more polished look.

Carlisle Blues

I am NO THUG

ortega76 said:

Generally I would not give the aforementioned any respect; let alone comment on it. However, this forum appears to have very nice respectable contributors.

Although I am a member of a "sub-culture" I am generally referred to as Doctor, Professor or the like. My style of dress always impeccable.

However, before anything I had a great deal of self respect and respect for others.

Ortega your post is not only uninformed but it is insulting and offensive:rage:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
B. F. Socaspi said:
I wonder if what sounds like a homeless man with possible
mental problems really deserved that. I'd save the comebacks for people who are better off and still choose to be rude.

I understand your point, but the man caught me off guard, and appeared to know very well what he was saying. I mostly ignore such comments, and have never before "fired back," believe it or not. It is usually better to ignore or downplay negative comments.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Garrett said:
Don't assign a race to that, ortega. Its offensive.
Carlisle Blues said:
Ortega your post is not only uninformed but it is insulting and offensive:rage:
He said that members of the latino and black community often look more put-together. Hardly an insult there. If the youths of all cultures are nowadays embracing a thug look, and Ortega has noted mainly the blacks and latinos in his immediate social circle are growing out of it and putting effort into dressing better I don't see the insult there.

Garrett

"Grown out of x look" and the race affiliation was the issue slim, not how well they dress.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Garrett said:
"Grown out of x look" and the race affiliation was the issue slim, not how well they dress.
Yes, it has been his personal observation that members of certain races were growing out of a certain look that is now common to all races. It's a pity that members of all races have not yet made the stride forward that Ortega has observed, but it was nice of him to compliment the races that he did.

Your assumption seems to be that somewhere buried in his message was the idea that blacks and latinos were the only ones dressing as thugs but that they are now growing out of it, an opinion that is nowhere expressed in his post.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Slim Portly said:
This is what I wore yesterday, as well as a pair of grey dress gloves. At one point I noticed that my pocket square had slipped down a bit too far into the breast pocket of my suit jacket and so I took three seconds to tug it back up and straighten it out nicely. As I looked up there was a man standing in front of me with a smirk on his face, a head of unkempt hair, a pair of baggy jeans, and an untucked t-shirt. "Oh yeah, that looks much better," was his well-considered comment. I smiled and said, "Thank you. I think so, too."

DSC04815-CROP.jpg

Sorry those shoes may have matched/co-ordinated but are TOTALLY inappropriate for the outfit which is smooth as...

Sepe

New in Town
Back to the topic, I get different comments a lot. Propably not as much for the hat but more for the fedora, some people make the strange connection to exhibitionists. You know, the nothing-but-a-trenchcoat-in-a-park type.

I also remember doing some christmas shopping a few weeks back when some fellow suddenly called me James Bond and even started to whistle the theme. Now I'm not sure if it was supposed to be a compliment or insult, but when you think of the old Bond movies, I consider it a compliment.

Then, of course, there's the regular Al Capone, Bogart, news reporter etc. Don't get too much Indy though.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Interesting response

ortega76 said:

Thanks for the response, ortega76. Like Slim, I don't see stereotyping and racism here, either intentional or unintentional. Of course, the thug look isn't exclusive to young men in those communities; I knew plenty of thugs growing up in New England in the '70s from my white, working class town; this just wasn't the same thuglife Tupac had in mind (Journey thugs, perhaps?). I like your specific reflections on your friend and your cousin's contrasting styles--sounds to me like you're speaking of specific experience, not racial profiling. Style is an intriguing expression of young men's identity in all communities.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
LordBest said:
I was walking down the street this morning, wearing my grey Churchill fedora. A car pulls pulls over to the curb and a young man sticks his head out:
Man: Nice hat, faggot.
LB: What?
Man: I said, nice hat, faggot.
LB: You wed a mice trap maggot?
Man: What?
LB: What?
Man: Are you f*cking deaf?
LB: I most certainly am not sucking meth.
Man pulls away from the curb and drives off.

You do seem to get some doozies. I usually hear the boring 'Indy' comments.

Carlisle Blues

jazzncocktails said:
Thanks for the response, ortega76. Like Slim, I don't see stereotyping and racism here, either intentional or unintentional. Of course, the thug look isn't exclusive to young men in those communities; I knew plenty of thugs growing up in New England in the '70s from my white, working class town; this just wasn't the same thuglife Tupac had in mind (Journey thugs, perhaps?). I like your specific reflections on your friend and your cousin's contrasting styles--sounds to me like you're speaking of specific experience, not racial profiling. Style is an intriguing expression of young men's identity in all communities.

It is silly to go any further, but, if race is not an issue why is race mentioned by both you and Ortega.[huh] You both make very clear distinctions.

B. F. Socaspi said:
I wonder if what sounds like a homeless man with possible mental problems really deserved that. I'd save the comebacks for people who are better off and still choose to be rude.
So, people that don't deserve a hard time should take being given a hard time
because the person giving the hard time might be having a hard time themselves.

Unless he was psychotic, he also chose to be rude. With choice comes responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy