Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
funneman said:
I walked by my bosses office door yesterday in my brown Penny's Marathon,
American Outfitter's vest, and cords with a trench coat.

My boss says "Hey, it's Columbo." [huh]

The other day I was wearing a grey suit with brown pin stripes and a dark brown Adam Executive. He says "You look like a Rabbi."

I think I need a new boss.
To help speed things along, you could always reply, "I'd rather look like a rabbi than an @$$h0le."

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Already posted this experience into another thread about musicians' hats, but here goes:

Well, one comment I heard about my hat (Indy style fedora) - and that one of my friends has found hilarious ever since and keeps spreading the story - was that it made me look like a "pelimanni", which translates into something like a "folk musician" (the kind that you'd expect to see playing at rural barn dances etc.). I tried to point out the differences in hat styles, but - to some - a hat is a hat is a hat. :eusa_doh:

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
funneman said:
The other day I was wearing a grey suit with brown pin stripes and a dark brown Adam Executive. He says "You look like a Rabbi."

I think I need a new boss.

If there was a pair of scissors handy you could have said "have I done yours yet?" while snapping them open and shut.:D

ortega76

Practically Family
This hapened to me the other day during Chicago's blizzard conditions.

I was running to the hot dog place next door to meet a friend for lunch. Despite the sub zero temps, I just ran across the way sans coat, feeling that my sweater and sportcoat were fine for 20 feet. I did grab my brown stingy to keep the snow out.

Being a regular, they saw me come in and the counter lady shouted out "want your usual?". I guess my jumping a customer still hemming and hawing over the menu irritated this guy because he murmured something "dirty jew". The odd thing is that while Mexican, I am often mistaken for an Arab American or Greek or something else entirely. My lunch companion was Jewish, however. And so were the restaurant owners. I merely tipped my hat as the owner asked him to leave.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ortega76 said:

I was running to the hot dog place next door to meet a friend for lunch. Despite the sub zero temps, I just ran across the way sans coat, feeling that my sweater and sportcoat were fine for 20 feet. I did grab my brown stingy to keep the snow out.

Being a regular, they saw me come in and the counter lady shouted out "want your usual?". I guess my jumping a customer still hemming and hawing over the menu irritated this guy because he murmured something "dirty jew". The odd thing is that while Mexican, I am often mistaken for an Arab American or Greek or something else entirely. My lunch companion was Jewish, however. And so were the restaurant owners. I merely tipped my hat as the owner asked him to leave.

"Dirty Jew"? Geez. "How to Make Friends and Influence People." What a creep. And in a Jewish-owned establishment ... that customer was clearly an idiot as well as a nasty person.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Comments like those really get me steamed...I don't care what you are, theres not excuse for stupidity like that. I've been known to turn around, look the person in the eye and say "I'm jewish" or whatever they said, they often don't have the guts to say anything after that.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Racial, or any other, slurs have no place in polite society.
Nevertheless, they persist among some members of modern society.
It's good to know that the proprietor asked the knothead to leave.

ortega76

Practically Family
Completely horrible? Yes. Handled with dignity by the owner? Absolutely. Irritating to me? Mildly. Do I mind being confused with another ethnic group- not really. Am I offended by your intolerance toward my friend and neighbors? Oh, you betcha!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
ortega76 said:
Completely horrible? Yes. Handled with dignity by the owner? Absolutely. Irritating to me? Mildly. Do I mind being confused with another ethnic group- not really. Am I offended by your intolerance toward my friend and neighbors? Oh, you betcha!

It is a funny situation. Kind of like being called gay, which happened in my new wave days. part of me wants to say "I am not....." But then you don't want to sound like you think that there is anything wrong with it. As the old seinfeld gag went, "not that threre's anything wrong with that.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
^ I've had that one happen fairly often,as I have several friends who are I just say, nope, I'm not. Smile and go on, unless the person decided to tease, then I usually come up with something witty and cutting:rolleyes:

Jerekson

One Too Many
ortega76 said:

I would like to throw a big snowball in that guy's face.

funneman

Practically Family
Hey Johnny B, funny, but we ARE talking about my boss here..

And Charlie, my boss is Jewish so I'm pretty sure the Mohel has already
"done his" :rolleyes:

To be honest, I actually think this was his clumsy way of being
friendly. I say clumsy because I don't think he's had much practice
at it. So in a way I probably should be flattered that he made an
attempt at conversation. That's more than most employees get.

Ortega, you showed amazing restraint with that loser, which allowed the
owner to show him the door. The tip of your hat as he was leaving
said all you needed to say. I hope you had a great big grin on your
face at the time.

BlindeMan

Familiar Face
One of the faculty at my residency saw me wearing my grey Federation and said, "Olsen, go out there and get me a picture of Spiderman!"

I don't know which bothered me more: Him making light of my hat or the fact that he mixed up Peter Parker and Jimmy Olsen (neither of whom, as I recall, wore a fedora.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou