Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Three within a few days :eek:

Number one: on a geography field trip I was wearing a grey fedora, khaki trousers, a grey-green wool sweater and a beige long sleeved shirt underneath. As it was cold I chose to wear my trench coat as well (as the risk of the bottom getting wet whilst crossing rivers on stepping stones). A person asked me why I was wearing a suit and appeared surprised when I pointed out that what I was wearing wasn't a suit.

Number two: this afternoon I was at a train station in a blue suit and grey fedora. As usual some hooligans (albeit older adult ones) called me Inspector Gadget and I called them morons. Sadly for me they went onto the same train as I did so I had to put up with smelly takeaway fish, loud conversation and music and alternating Michael Jackson and Inspector Gadget comments.

Number three: later this afternoon I was waiting for my train connection whilst changing. I was on the platform in the same suit and hat when a man shouted at a youth who was looking in my direction not to "take the piss out of him [me]". I explained that I didn't mind people looking but the man and the youth had a rather nasty argument, leading to a fight in which the youth and his friend would have possibly kicked the man to death had I not run there and shouted to them to stop before I call the police. Fortunately no one was hurt but I find it stupid that because of my non-offensive attire (plain suit, plain shirt and tie and plain hat) a fight ensued, which boiled down to the drunken man not liking a black youth look at a white person, though the yout meant no offence to me at all.

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
avedwards said:
a fight ensued, which boiled down to the drunken man not liking a black youth look at a white person, though the youth meant no offence to me at all.

GRRRRR!!!!! That's a whole different level of stupid. :mad: A much deeper level, at that.

Tiller

Practically Family
avedwards said:
Number one: on a geography field trip I was wearing a grey fedora, khaki trousers, a grey-green wool sweater and a beige long sleeved shirt underneath. As it was cold I chose to wear my trench coat as well (as the risk of the bottom getting wet whilst crossing rivers on stepping stones). A person asked me why I was wearing a suit and appeared surprised when I pointed out that what I was wearing wasn't a suit.

Number two: this afternoon I was at a train station in a blue suit and grey fedora. As usual some hooligans (albeit older adult ones) called me Inspector Gadget and I called them morons. Sadly for me they went onto the same train as I did so I had to put up with smelly takeaway fish, loud conversation and music and alternating Michael Jackson and Inspector Gadget comments.

Number three: later this afternoon I was waiting for my train connection whilst changing. I was on the platform in the same suit and hat when a man shouted at a youth who was looking in my direction not to "take the piss out of him [me]". I explained that I didn't mind people looking but the man and the youth had a rather nasty argument, leading to a fight in which the youth and his friend would have possibly kicked the man to death had I not run there and shouted to them to stop before I call the police. Fortunately no one was hurt but I find it stupid that because of my non-offensive attire (plain suit, plain shirt and tie and plain hat) a fight ensued, which boiled down to the drunken man not liking a black youth look at a white person, though the yout meant no offence to me at all.

Sorry to hear all of the recent problems avedwards. Especially the whole violence thing, I've never seen clothes turn people against each other before like that.

The closest I got to an insult this week was when I was in Borders, well wearing my chocolate brown Dobbs. Anyways I heard two teens (15-17) talking about my hat well I was skimming through a book. Anyways one was saying

"What kind of hat is that a Bowler?"

His friend responded, "No, it's a fedora."

The other then said "Is that even cool?"

I then responded "Only if you got the balls to wear it, and be yourself."

His friend then said "Burned!!"

Whatever that means lol.

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
I then responded "Only if you got the balls to wear it, and be yourself."

Whatever that means .
:eusa_clap
Nice riposte. Are you sure the friend didn't say "pwned"? Can be pronounced many ways, including "pone'd" and "pawned".
GRRRRR!!!!! That's a whole different level of stupid. A much deeper level, at that.
Absolutely.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Tiller said:

Whatever that means lol.

Loosely, to "burn" is to make a witty response that would put someone in his place and set him straight, usually in a conclusive manner that is difficult to respond to. It can be used in a belittling context as well (i.e. "your momma"), although this is usually less likely to elicit a verbal response of "burn".

Saying "burned" seems to be a typical way these days of expressing admiration of the wit, quickness, and/or ingenuity of the comment said prior.

Pretty much, it was being insinuated that you "showed him who was boss", and that you essentially ended all arguement on the spot.

It can be used in a few different tones and manners - sometimes it is used to show respect and agreement with the burner, other times it is used to upset the burnee and egg him on for a heavier conflict (see "proving ones self in front of peers")

That's my analyzation based on observation of modern culture.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Roninjedi said:
GRRRRR!!!!! That's a whole different level of stupid. :mad: A much deeper level, at that.
Agreed. The man later told me his anti-immigrant political views which I won't go into detail with on this forum for obvious reasons. It's just bad that my clothing could have indirectly resulted in a murder in which I'd have been a material witness. At least my fedora and suit also gave me enough authority when I shouted to the youths to stop (it helped that I was carrying a trenchcoat over my arm making me look even more like a steriotypical police inspector).

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Torpedo said:
If you wear hats regularly, and in a diversity of styles and dimensions, they just amalgamate all of them as just generic hats. I have often been pointed to those cloth, trendy hats, which most of us consider unacceptable, by people (friends, family) who sincerely think I would be interested, because they, genuinely, are utterly unable to see those are not on the same league of headwear.
I've had people compare their cloth hats to my fedora thinking they were the same. However no one's ever showed them to me in shops, though one person gave me the link for Optimo after reading that they made Depp's fedora in Public Enemies. I wouldn't class that as dumb though since Optimo makes very fine hats.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I'm not sure this is the *dumbest* comment I've ever heard, but it was pretty dumb. I was leaving the office yesterday in slacks, sportcoat, dress shirt and mid-gray Stylemaster. One of our security guards, who seems like a nice enough fellow, turns to me and says, "If your hat was leather, you'd look just like Dr. Jones going on an expedition."

If my hat was leather? Really? I was taken slightly aback, and simply said, "His hat wasn't leather." I really need to work on snappier comebacks. shakeshead

Al Niente

Familiar Face
One person at work always likes to make a comment about the hat and who she thinks I look like that day. Usually Indy, Al Capone, gangster (1930's) and once, Truman Capote. TRUMAN CAPOTE???????????

I have a sure fire way of handling a situation that repeats itself like this:

After the comment, launch into a teaching moment about hats, the history of hats, making of hats, coolness of hats...everything about hats and yours in particular. This is easy since we all share a passion for hats.

When the person making the comments eyes glaze over, you will know your job is done. Once or twice, and they will never comment on your hat in a derogatory way again.

Don't try this on a random person on the street or they might kill you. But it works well with those people you know.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Chiliarches said:
Yes...though I'm a bit startled that the guy was nearly murdered.
As am I still. I still can't get over the fact that me standing on a platform looking at nothing but passing trains could result in such violence. Next time I make that journey (in two days time) I'm tempted to take a walking stick just in case I need to club anyone, though I think my briefcase will have to suffice for that purpose this time. I have proven to a number of people that a briefcase filled with heavy files can be equally dangerous as a walking stick can. Now people reading this will think I'm a very violent person, especially since I've threatened Carlisle Blues on another thread. lol

To be on topic, I got the Inspector Gadget comment two days ago, as usual. The difference was that I was actually hatless (due to cycling). That's the bad thing about living in such an irritating neighbourhood - people know I wear a hat and give me the stupid comments even when I don't wear it.

Cigarband

A-List Customer
I have often been pointed to those cloth, trendy hats, which most of us consider unacceptable, by people (friends, family) who sincerely think I would be interested, because they, genuinely, are utterly unable to see those are not on the same league of headwear.

I have noticed the same thing with watches. My female relatives cannot see the difference between a "Fashion" watch and a Tool Timepiece, and always want to show me the latest SWATCH.:eek:

avedwards said:
To be on topic, I got the Inspector Gadget comment two days ago, as usual. The difference was that I was actually hatless (due to cycling). That's the bad thing about living in such an irritating neighbourhood - people know I wear a hat and give me the stupid comments even when I don't wear it.

That is probably right up there with one of the comparisons I don't like much. Geez, Inspector Gadget was a robot for goodness sake. His hat was metal not felt. :rolleyes: Then again, you can certainly find out who has been smoking the good stuff in your neighborhood really fast. ;) :p lol

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
That is probably right up there with one of the comparisons I don't like much. Geez, Inspector Gadget was a robot for goodness sake. His hat was metal not felt. :rolleyes: Then again, you can certainly find out who has been smoking the good stuff in your neighborhood really fast. ;) :p lol
I would like to give people a scientific lecture about how a felt hat cannot suddenly open up at the crown. I think your last remark is quite true actually, I have reason to believe that drugs are smoked where I live (though not by me :eek:), which may account for the high stupidity levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot