Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ValEag said:
It seems that we all ask that question sooner or later, but once you ask it, there is no going back. It's a little easier for us who buy 'vintage' hats that are younger than we are! lol

I think I first asked the question "What's the matter with kids these days?" when I was about 22. Early-onset curmudgeon-hood, I guess.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Tony in Tarzana said:
I think I first asked the question "What's the matter with kids these days?" when I was about 22. Early-onset curmudgeon-hood, I guess.

I started asking that at 15 :eusa_doh:

ALL*HeLL

New in Town
MisterCairo said:
I find it incredible that ANYONE is, at the end of the day, expected to justify their attire. I currently serve in the air force, but within an office building context vice on a base, and with a large civilian workforce.

The slovenly approach many of them take, jeans, teeshirts, CROCS (!) and flipflops, and they work for the government, yet people dressed like that look at someone in a real suit or classy dress and think (and say out loud) - why are you dressed like THAT?

Hey now, I wore my Adam Executive, black slacks, black dress shirt, and a pair of black crocs today while running errands.

Bash them all you want but crocs are darn comfortable. Ugly yes, but the best pair of shoes I've owned in years.

ALL*HeLL

New in Town
My usual response to anyone giving me crap about what I wear is to ask them if they're gay (not that there is anything wrong with that). When they say "no", I ask them why they give a damn what another man wears.

I then ask them if they watch that show where gay guys dress a guy up and if they watch it because they are attracted to those "men" or if they feel some kind of affinity for them.

That usually shuts them up.

DapperDuck

Familiar Face
ALL*HeLL said:
My usual response to anyone giving me crap about what I wear is to ask them if they're gay (not that there is anything wrong with that). When they say "no", I ask them why they give a damn what another man wears.

I then ask them if they watch that show where gay guys dress a guy up and if they watch it because they are attracted to those "men" or if they feel some kind of affinity for them.

That usually shuts them up.

I would suggest a more gentlemanly approach when someone gets your dander up. Honestly, the only people I hear calling others gay are teens. Everything bad is "gay" to them.

H.

billysmom

One Too Many
DapperDuck said:
I would suggest a more gentlemanly approach when someone gets your dander up. Honestly, the only people I hear calling others gay are teens. Everything bad is "gay" to them.

H.

Agreed. A more mature response would be more effective and reflect better on the responder.

Sue

Al Niente

Familiar Face
A while back I told the story of a fellow musician who thought I looked like the "Nazi" in the first Indy movie. I was wearing a tux with black Biltmore and a black topcoat. Explained to him my family history and that I could not relate to his comments. One would THINK that would be enough as a diplomatic way of expressing displeasure. OK, today I added black gloves and an opera scarf.

His comment, "I just can't get over how much you look like the Nazi in the first Indy Jones movie!"

I thought for a second of firing off a a devastating verbal broadside, then realized.....He isn't worth the power. Without any acknowledgement whatsoever, I simply walked on.

Hate and love are opposite sides of the same coin. If you look for approval and are angry when you don't get it, that is the monetary system in play. Indifference is the true insult. As an ignorant and uncivil person, his comments don't signify.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
ALL*HeLL said:
Hey now, I wore my Adam Executive, black slacks, black dress shirt, and a pair of black crocs today while running errands.

Bash them all you want but crocs are darn comfortable. Ugly yes, but the best pair of shoes I've owned in years.

We'll have to agree to disagree - Crocs are the worst Canadian invention since Monty Hall....

ALL*HeLL

New in Town
MisterCairo said:
We'll have to agree to disagree - Crocs are the worst Canadian invention since Monty Hall....

If you had foot problems and wore a pair for a few days you'd change your mind.

They help with my peripheral neuropathy.

I agree they are ugly as heck though. I just don't care though as sometimes function is more important than form.

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
Crocs have their place. Sydney is going through one of her sub-tropical moods right now. 32/90 degrees, about 50% humidity. The occaisional thunder storm rolling in.

I'm about to leave work and once I get home, if I wear any footwear at all, it will be crocs for sure. Viva le croc!

scaber

New in Town
Silly comments

The silly comments we get as hat wears always reminds me of how limited we are based on our own experiences. I am a teacher at an elementary school. During the week of Halloween we have some theme dress up days. On hat day I wore a Sunbody palm leaf straw hat. More than one young child asked if I was supposed to be Indiana Jones. In a straw hat? On another day I dressed up in backpacking gear including a wide brimmed hat. I was asked, "Are you supposed to be a boy scout?" We are so limited by our own experiences. As if everyone in a wide brimmed hat is trying to look like Indiana Jones or anyone with a hiking backpack on must be a boy scout!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy