Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Last week going to the Theatre. I was in a dark three piece suit and a grey fedora, as I usually wear for going out.

When leaving I had to walk through the cafe where some youths stared at me. One of them began to sing the Indiana Jones theme tune, until his friend told him it was the wrong tune, at which he attempted to change (presumably to Inspector Gadget). It just shows how stupid he was that he was huming a tune without even thinking about whether it made any sense.

At least the member of the cast who saw me (he was dressed as a hunchback due to the scary nature of the show) had the decency to say "Ah, ze mafia!".

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Annoying overheard statement

The world is full of idiots who deserve a retroactive abortion. (Bartenders: I will not be offended if you deem it fit to remove that rather ugly, nasty statement. But the below should be fine.)

Today whilst walking across campus toward a study session wearing a 1930s tweed flat cap (you know, the kind with lots of cloth), a modern brown DB with faint turquoise stripes, a wheat-colored vest, a flat-bottom brown 1920s deco tie, oxblood-and-black saddle shoes, and 1930s celluloid dark glasses, I heard someone mutter "that guy is really weird."

Why say this so that the object of your comment can hear? An act of aggression. I believe that a gentleman should know how to be aggressive when someone has been starting trouble, but the idea of spraying aggression around like that is repulsive; further, he should have said it to me if he wanted to start a fight, rather than about me in the 3rd person like that.

I thought about confronting the twit, but I was in a hurry and in a bad mood. Kept walking.

I console myself with the possibility that his interlocutors said to him "You're an idiot, and you're just jealous because he has style." Unlikely, but possible.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Doran said:
Why say this so that the object of your comment can hear? An act of aggression. I believe that a gentleman should know how to be aggressive when someone has been starting trouble, but the idea of spraying aggression around like that is repulsive; further, he should have said it to me if he wanted to start a fight, rather than about me in the 3rd person like that.

While walking home a while back I was about to pass a girl with a belt cinched tight below her behind. When I was a couple yards from her, two girls who could be described as 'fashionistas' walked by a couple yards further on the other side of her. One said, while staring right at her, "What the **** is she wearing?" Now, if I could hear her, the girl with the belt certainly could. I didn't care for her fashion choice, but I couldn't help but feel bad for her. That kind of verbal abuse isn't called for. "Spraying aggression around" indeed.

Dr Doran

It's wrong on several levels.
1.) Lack of basic manners
2.) Shows lack of class
3.) Highly passive-aggressive
4.) Judgmental -- well, many of us are judgmental, but we don't make a scene.
5.) Disrespectful

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I get people spraying abuse at me oten, but it never ceases to irritate.

A few weeks ago I was walking down the street in my hat and trenchcoat. I have a very brisk pace compared to most people, and one person I passed was on a mobile phone (which doesn't bother me in the slightest as I know how practical they can be) and he suddenly said to the person he was talking to "this guy who looks like Inspector Gadget just walked past, I've got to take a picture". I simply shouted back that I don't look like Inspector Gadget. I don't like the idea of people taking pictures to make fun of me. If it's done in a nice way (as I described in the nicest comment thread) I don't mind, but that person didn't mean it in that way.

In the summer, I was walking to the local shop to buy some food. Just wearing black trousers, a cream shirt and a fedora. No suit, no tie and no trench coat (it was very warm). A group of youths shouted to me "What the f*** are you wearing?!" I was almost tempted to shout back "clothes" but decided against it, hoping they actually knew that shirts and trousers are still very normal even in the 21st century. I just can't help thinking that it's another example of spraying abuse.

m000m000

One of the Regulars
Hailing from a country where people don't really do small talk and mostly keep to themselves no matter where they happen to be can at times be a cumbering experience, but reading this thread makes me kind of glad that people aren't wont to talk much with strangers here, much less make open public comments about them. You might get the occasional curious or baffeled look, or a knowning smile, but very seldom will anyone ever make verbal comments to you directly.

The worst I've been subjected to was to listen to a drunkard's rambling on the local train who kept going on about how my hat "was clearly not a 'real stetson'" (he was right - It was a Cavanagh :p), aside from that, the only "Indiana Jones" level comments I tend to get are from are my friends (in jest obviously).

RebeccaDoll

Familiar Face
Two in one insult - both to my hat, and to me. Opps, it's real long, too!

I am in the Canadian Air Force, and we have civilian dress days. I rather like getting to dress nice instead of wearing my CADPAT. On just such a day, I wore a nice black skirt, a vintage blouse, and a nice pair of heels wit nylons and was in my nice rain trench. I even had a very vintage tan coloured women's hat on (one I usually get all sorts of compliments on, my personal favorite, "you're dressed like the women from Casablaca":) ) I was feeling very Film Noir (note: everything was completely work appropriate, and classy).

Anyway, I was just about into my building, when I encountered one of the DND (civi) employee's making their way into work. Time for some context, the civi's workers are suppose to dress appropriate, and for the most part, do. Yet, on Civi Dress days, some of them think that it is completely appropriate for them to dress 'down'. Usually it's the one's my age (20!) who thought Uggs, wear appropriate in the office.

Alright, so I was walking outside the building, and was just about into the building when I heard her remark to her coworker

"Who does she think she is - I mean, I thought they always dressed like men."

Then her friend replied "She is, she's wearing that hat."

Then they both pretended to hide their laughter.

I quickly fled into the building, embarressed, and peeked out at them, they were wearing tatty jeans and one of them was even wearing a t-shirt from a beer company under her suit jacket. :eusa_doh:

I hardly thought I was dressed like a man, I mean skirt and heels. I was rather sheepish for part of that morning (I even considered not wearing the hat to work on Civi Dress Day) - until one of my male friends came into the office (also military) with his own fedora, saw my hat and trench on the hook, and gave me a big smile - and said, "don't you just love hats!"

What did I learn - stop listening to what the poorly dressed think, listen to other people wear nice hats!

univibe88

One Too Many
RebeccaDoll said:
"

What did I learn - stop listening to what the poorly dressed think, listen to other people wear nice hats!

Exactly! I think your outfit sounds quite fetching. In response you should have thought to yourself, "I think I look like a beautiful, classy lady" and held your head high with a spring in your step.

Duper

Practically Family
I agree with completely with univibe88. You always have to consider who makes the remark. If it is not a friend or someone whose judgement you hold in esteem, then ignore the comment. I'm sure there were many more who admired your outfit/look and just smiled and/or politely kept it to themselves.

metropd

One Too Many
I was walking down the Gaslamp district to meet a friend when some guys seated at a bar said "Nice Pimp suit, where's your Hoes at at?" I replied "I'm just a Gentleman all I need is a lady." That seemed to do the trick.

Pimp comments seem to be the most numerous of dumb comments directed at me lately.[huh]
here are a few from the past month
"Whats happnan young Pimpin'?
"Pimpin' ain't easy....."
"You look like a New York Pimp"
"Sick Pimp suit Dude"
:eusa_doh:

Justdog

Practically Family
RebeccaDoll said:
Two in one insult - both to my hat, and to me. Opps, it's real long, too!

I am in the Canadian Air Force, and we have civilian dress days. I rather like getting to dress nice instead of wearing my CADPAT. On just such a day, I wore a nice black skirt, a vintage blouse, and a nice pair of heels wit nylons and was in my nice rain trench. I even had a very vintage tan coloured women's hat on (one I usually get all sorts of compliments on, my personal favorite, "you're dressed like the women from Casablaca":) ) I was feeling very Film Noir (note: everything was completely work appropriate, and classy).

Anyway, I was just about into my building, when I encountered one of the DND (civi) employee's making their way into work. Time for some context, the civi's workers are suppose to dress appropriate, and for the most part, do. Yet, on Civi Dress days, some of them think that it is completely appropriate for them to dress 'down'. Usually it's the one's my age (20!) who thought Uggs, wear appropriate in the office.

Alright, so I was walking outside the building, and was just about into the building when I heard her remark to her coworker

"Who does she think she is - I mean, I thought they always dressed like men."

Then her friend replied "She is, she's wearing that hat."

Then they both pretended to hide their laughter.

I quickly fled into the building, embarressed, and peeked out at them, they were wearing tatty jeans and one of them was even wearing a t-shirt from a beer company under her suit jacket. :eusa_doh:

I hardly thought I was dressed like a man, I mean skirt and heels. I was rather sheepish for part of that morning (I even considered not wearing the hat to work on Civi Dress Day) - until one of my male friends came into the office (also military) with his own fedora, saw my hat and trench on the hook, and gave me a big smile - and said, "don't you just love hats!"

Normally I would not quote your whole message but in this case it deserves it.
First off I am very proud to have you serving our counrty. My cousin , female , spent 20 years in the Canadian military and was hired back in the same position as a civi. She always maintained her femininity and class and am sure would have a few words for the ignorant snide comment makers. Nice to hear of someone expressing there individuality. As karma worked out in your favor and the awknowledgement for your style came from a man, I would say you are well compensated. Here is a clap for holding your head high and your supreme courage in the face of the enemy, used in a humorous sense that is.:eusa_clap

RebeccaDoll

Familiar Face
Justdog said:
Normally I would not quote your whole message but in this case it deserves it.
First off I am very proud to have you serving our counrty. My cousin , female , spent 20 years in the Canadian military and was hired back in the same position as a civi. She always maintained her femininity and class and am sure would have a few words for the ignorant snide comment makers. Nice to hear of someone expressing there individuality. As karma worked out in your favor and the awknowledgement for your style came from a man, I would say you are well compensated. Here is a clap for holding your head high and your supreme courage in the face of the enemy, used in a humorous sense that is.:eusa_clap

Awwww shucks, I'm all bright red blushes and smiles, now. Thanks.;)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
A couple of days ago I went into a local candy store. I was wearing my Fed and the yellow and blsck leather jacket with the patches that I had up as an avatar here for a while.

The proprietor looks at me and says, 'Youre not from around here, are you?'

Seems like a valid question, right? But I knew that he was making reference to my 'cowboy' hat, because Ive heard it so many times before.

So, I looked at the guy and said, very nicely, 'Its not a cowboy hat. Its called a fedora, and years ago, men didnt go anywhere without one of these on his head, blah blah blah.'

So then he says that he thought I was from Georgia, wearing the NASCAR racing jacket. So then I told him it was a motorcycle jacket. So he said he didnt hear me pull up, like all bikes are loud. Plus Im wearing a fedoracowboy hat and we have a helmet law here in New York.

There was nothing particularly horrible said, but basically, the whole conversation was just stupid, with this guy pulling out every applicable cliche in the book.

Dr Doran

Justdog said:
Were you by chance not in a store but in some kind of sitcom?lol

lol ;) :rolleyes:

That reminds me of a joke:

"Two nuns, a rabbi, and a sanitation worker walk into a bar. The first nun says, 'What is this -- some kind of joke?' "

Dr Doran

metropd said:
I was walking down the Gaslamp district to meet a friend when some guys seated at a bar said "Nice Pimp suit, where's your Hoes at at?" I replied "I'm just a Gentleman all I need is a lady." That seemed to do the trick.

Pretty swift, Nicholas!

jmrtnko

Familiar Face
I'm guessing it's not just the hats, but this has been the year of odd comments. Bizarrely, it's been largely the same comment.

I was standing outside of work six months ago or so, when two women from the building across the street came up and asked, "excuse me, are you French?"

Then, a few months later, in an East Village restaurant in New York, a waiter also asks, "by any chance, are you French?"

And finally, waiting outside Detroit Metro airport, an older woman looks at me and says, "oooh, excuse me sir, are you an artist?"

For once in my life, had a quick enough wit to reply, "no, I'm sorry, I'm just French."

She seemed confused by the sudden explosion of laughter from my wife.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
m000m000 said:
...here...You might get the occasional curious or baffeled look, or a knowning smile, but very seldom will anyone ever make verbal comments to you directly.

That's pretty much the way they treat us "Old Guys" over here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21