Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

penfencer

Familiar Face
This generation...

Recently I walked past a trio of very well dressed young professionals- a woman and two men- who were laughing, pointing and mumbling a "what the !@#$..." at a Franciscan Brother, dressed in a plain brown habit, who had walked past them. This, the new generation, many raised without any obligation of showing even a modicum of respect. (I caught up with the monk and discovered he worked on a suicide hotline.)

I've never been the target of a negative comment but if challenged I would have to admit that I dress like an adult because I can no longer pull off dressing like a ten year old.

sproily

Practically Family
m000m000 said:
Hailing from a country where people don't really do small talk and mostly keep to themselves no matter where they happen to be can at times be a cumbering experience, but reading this thread makes me kind of glad that people aren't wont to talk much with strangers here, much less make open public comments about them. You might get the occasional curious or baffeled look, or a knowning smile, but very seldom will anyone ever make verbal comments to you directly.

The worst I've been subjected to was to listen to a drunkard's rambling on the local train who kept going on about how my hat "was clearly not a 'real stetson'" (he was right - It was a Cavanagh :p), aside from that, the only "Indiana Jones" level comments I tend to get are from are my friends (in jest obviously).

This is so true. I haven't heard any negative comments in Finland. Once an older male has come forth to praise how I look and the occasional "stylish" comments that people usually don't say to your face but to their friends etc. A Cashier has once made a statement "funny look" which I don't really know if she meant it as positive or negative.

There is only one negative-ish comment that I've heard, and it was from a rather intoxicated young fellow. I was wearing a dark brown leather jacket that was the "inspector" kind and a brown wide brimmed fedora. The young man said "Oh, don't hurt me!" when I passed him in a hallway at a bar. I replied, "Don't worry, I'm a doctor".

That's about it. Finland is a great place for people of different tastes and styles!

leo

One of the Regulars
metropd said:
I was walking down the Gaslamp district to meet a friend when some guys seated at a bar said "Nice Pimp suit, where's your Hoes at at?"

Usually a waste of time replying to drunks, but if you must, look directly at him and say, "San Diego Vice. So what can you tell me about Hoes?" Of course, insert the appropriate jurisdiction.

Bill (former vice squad member)

Bingles

A-List Customer
penfencer said:
Recently I walked past a trio of very well dressed young professionals- a woman and two men- who were laughing, pointing and mumbling a "what the !@#$..." at a Franciscan Brother, dressed in a plain brown habit, who had walked past them. This, the new generation, many raised without any obligation of showing even a modicum of respect. (I caught up with the monk and discovered he worked on a suicide hotline.)

I've never been the target of a negative comment but if challenged I would have to admit that I dress like an adult because I can no longer pull off dressing like a ten year old.

I think I would have lost my temper at that point. I was raised by nuns (who still wore at least a modified habit), and have the utmost respect for clerics and religious of any religious denomination. In fact, they are the only groups I usually remove my hat for when saying "hello".

penfencer said:

We live in a very secular world in so many places nowdays.

Where once there was a concept of respect or "live and let live" that is gone.

We seem to find those that so often champion "equality" in reality don't support it for anyone with concepts, values, mores and traditions other than their own.

kkesler

New in Town
Got one today while wearing the Resistol described here. I was out working on one of our trailers, and someone going by laid on the horn for a full 7-8 seconds all the while shouting at the top of their lungs. Only thing I could pick out was "horses". People in a moving vehicle are indeed terribly bold.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Two days ago, while in Target picking up a few groceries, I walked past a younger mom and her 5 maybe 6 yr old daughter. As we passed each other the girl told he mom in a loud voice.

"There's some dude in a cowboy hat!"

That comment made my day, I about died laughing when I got out of sight... she said it so seriously it was hilarious.

Randy

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
Top hat

I went down to the store earlier today wearing the my 50s Brent fedora. Same as in my avatar photo. Some kid probably in his late teens, maybe 20 said in a mocking tone "That is a very nice top hat you have, sir." I just said thanks and kind of laughed to myself. Then he went to his friend and said "Did you see that guy's top hat?" and the friend said "Oh yes, that is a very nice top hat."

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
RebeccaDoll said:
... when I heard her remark to her coworker

"Who does she think she is - I mean, I thought they always dressed like men."

RebeccaDoll,

That sounds to me like a very old form of bigotry, and not the one against dressing nicely. It's the assumption that if you're a woman in the armed forces you must be a lesbian. My wife heard that sort of thing when she was single during the early years of her 20-year career in the USAF. Sometimes it was because the woman in question wasn't dating or sleeping with any of the men in the unit and they couldn't understand why that might be so naturally the woman must not be into men.

You'd think that by now that sort of thing would have died off (both making that assumption and the idea that it's an insult) but apparently not. And as you found out, their boorish opinion really doesn't matter though it's amazing how much words can both sting and heal.

Take care,
Tom

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
The key element in the come-back to a rude remark is to hit the offensive person with something completely unexpected yet not stoop to his level and be rude yourself.

A few years back when Franco-American relations were at an all-time low, I was at the park wearing a beret, and this classless rogue came up to me and said, "You don't happen to have some French fries, do you?" From his tone, he was definitly not a comedian but certainly a heckler.

I speak practically no French, but I do pretty good impressions, and with a thick accent I launched into a Pidgen French routine:

"Bonjour. Oui, oui. Frere Jacqua dorme vous Charles de Gaulle? Jacque Cousteau le cordon bleu Francois Mitterand bidet. Douche la femme? No? Ah, douche les hommes--tres mauvais, tres mauvais!!! Douche a me tres bien, con Mont Blanc Chateaubriand, por favor?" I asked, touching his arm effeminantly.

For a moment, the guy was just dumbfounded, then broke into a nervous laugh, and quickly became very anxious and scampered away.

He'd stereotyped me because of my beret, but hadn't anticipated I'd dish out a whole lot more stereotype than he'd bargained for.

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
AlterEgo said:
The key element in the come-back to a rude remark is to hit the offensive person with something completely unexpected yet not stoop to his level and be rude yourself.

A few years back when Franco-American relations were at an all-time low, I was at the park wearing a beret, and this classless rogue came up to me and said, "You don't happen to have some French fries, do you?" From his tone, he was definitly not a comedian but certainly a heckler.

I speak practically no French, but I do pretty good impressions, and with a thick accent I launched into a Pidgen French routine:

"Bonjour. Oui, oui. Frere Jacqua dorme vous Charles de Gaulle? Jacque Cousteau le cordon bleu Francois Mitterand bidet. Douche la femme? No? Ah, douche les hommes--tres mauvais, tres mauvais!!! Douche a me tres bien, con Mont Blanc Chateaubriand, por favor?" I asked, touching his arm effeminantly.

For a moment, the guy was just dumbfounded, then broke into a nervous laugh, and quickly became very anxious and scampered away.

He'd stereotyped me because of my beret, but hadn't anticipated I'd dish out a whole lot more stereotype than he'd bargained for.

That is awesome.

Right before going out to Twentynine Palms in December of 2006, I went home on some leave to Ohio. Naturally it was quite chilly and being in my Sunday best (a beautiful navy pinstripe 3 piece suit) I decided to go visit a friend who happened to live not too far away. I decided to walk so I put my tan top coat on with the fur collar and my nice camel colored fedora on. I was looking good. To get to my friends house I had to go through a couple neighborhoods that were not of my taste (you can form your own opinions on that) about halfway I stopped at a convenience store to pick up some pipe tobacco. Well the kid behind the counter happened to be a kid I went to high school with who did nothing but give me crap all 4 years of high school. He noticed me and instantly got his old chip on the shoulder attitude again. I pay for my tobacco, and he looks at me and goes "Is this your f*ggot costume or whatever you call it?" I politely said "You know what I call it?" I leaned in about a foot from his face and merely said "Style" gave him a wink and walked out. Havent seen him since, but heard he still works the same store.

Torpedo

One Too Many
I had an interesting one yesterday.

I was doing some shopping - it was raining heavily. I wore a vintage 40's brown fedora and a US Army raincoat, over a suit, tie, etc.

Well, I walk past a man (in his thirties) who was having some conversation with a woman leaning out of a 1st floor window. Then I hear him making a couple of "Inspector Gadget" remarks, which I can not believe he did not expect me to hear. I do as I do usually - just ignore him.

About ten minutes later, I go back by the same street, and the guy is still there, in conversation with the same woman at the window. I walk past him, and, AGAIN, he utters the "Inspector Gadget" comments, at hearing distance.

"Ah, no, this is too much", I think, and I stop and go back, to him.

"I think you were talking to me?"
"Eeeh, no sir, I was talking to another person" - he mumbles - there was nobody else in the street, just the referred woman at the window.
"I dont think so, there's nobody else around. "Inspector Gadget", were you saying? So, you were adressing me?
"Uuuuh, no sir, this is a confusion." - increasingly embarrassed.
Then, I flash my badge to him (I am a police officer), to which he startles and blanches, and I say:
"You got half of it right. "Inspector", yes. "Gadget", no." He adopts a jaw-dropped expression, and begins to mumble some more stupid excuses.
"Now, maybe another day you will think it twice before making this kind of fun. Good bye and Merry Christmas."
Then, he looks visibly relieved, replies "Thanks sir, and Merry Christmas to you too", and mumbles some more excuses.

And I went on my own way.

metropd

One Too Many
Torpedo said:
I had an interesting one yesterday.

I was doing some shopping - it was raining heavily. I wore a vintage 40's brown fedora and a US Army raincoat, over a suit, tie, etc.

Well, I walk past a man (in his thirties) who was having some conversation with a woman leaning out of a 1st floor window. Then I hear him making a couple of "Inspector Gadget" remarks, which I can not believe he did not expect me to hear. I do as I do usually - just ignore him.

About ten minutes later, I go back by the same street, and the guy is still there, in conversation with the same woman at the window. I walk past him, and, AGAIN, he utters the "Inspector Gadget" comments, at hearing distance.

"Ah, no, this is too much", I think, and I stop and go back, to him.

"I think you were talking to me?"
"Eeeh, no sir, I was talking to another person" - he mumbles - there was nobody else in the street, just the referred woman at the window.
"I dont think so, there's nobody else around. "Inspector Gadget", were you saying? So, you were adressing me?
"Uuuuh, no sir, this is a confusion." - increasingly embarrassed.
Then, I flash my badge to him (I am a police officer), to which he startles and blanches, and I say:
"You got half of it right. "Inspector", yes. "Gadget", no." He adopts a jaw-dropped expression, and begins to mumble some more stupid excuses.
"Now, maybe another day you will think it twice before making this kind of fun. Good bye and Merry Christmas."
Then, he looks visibly relieved, replies "Thanks sir, and Merry Christmas to you too", and mumbles some more excuses.

And I went on my own way.

BEST POST EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo