Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Fedora Chronicles - Indiana Jones Hat Discrepancies

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
horsepunch5id.gif

Last edited:

jbucklin

Practically Family
It is sad to see such a friendly forum turn so sour and mean-spirited. Rob, your mini-documentary on the Indy hat is well put together and we appreciate you sharing it with us. However, I see nothing about hats, and peoples' personal opinions and/or preferences, as "fightin' words". Perhaps a forum that focuses more exclusively on Indy and his hat would be a better platform for an argument like this one than TFL, where diversity, friendliness, and respect are the norm.

Last edited:

bendingoak

Vendor
Actually, that is not what I said. I said Holt, who is a COW mod, as in moderator, has gotten a very SA hat.

I think your argument against the Fed IV isn't cogent, and quite frankly, don't understand what seems to be a totally irrational dislike for it. I think it's telling when commentors on your video have given your

negative comments against the Fed IV negative votes on the youtube page so your comments come off as screened.

The Fed IV was designed in consultation with Steve Delk, and John Penman recommends it as an entry level hat. That's a good seal of approval for me.

Let me clear something up. It wasn't designed by Steve. Steve helped hats direct pick a better block. I recommend it as a good starter hat for Indy fans. I don't recommend it as a SA Indy hat. Why would I??? If it was that SA. I wouldn't have put the many hours studying the details to truly replicate all of the Indy hats.

I think people are missing the piont. I have made videos to help people at the Indy forums to get a good Raiders bash or a CS or any of the films looks. In the comments people pop up and make statements like " I like this label better." I made a how to video and you have people popping in with opinions like that. Just my two cents.

robfilmmaker

New in Town
It is sad to see such a friendly forum turn so sour and mean-spirited. Rob, your mini-documentary on the Indy hat is well put together and we appreciate you sharing it with us. However, I see nothing about hats, and peoples' personal opinions and/or preferences, as "fightin' words". Perhaps a forum that focuses more exclusively on Indy and his hat would be a better platform for an argument like this one than TFL, where diversity, friendliness, and respect are the norm.

I agree completely. It all started over on YouTube and when I put a stop to it there they came after me on this site which I felt was unnessassary and unfair to everyone on this site.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I know it's a bit late to play the peacemaker, but in complete honesty, could there not be some misunderstanding all around?

How about starting over? Rob did a fine job with the video. Rather than rehashing issues most of us don't know, can't see, and (for many) don't care about, maybe we could we just focus on the factual aspects?

Everyone has personal opinions, many of them just a matter of taste. Which is fine and needn't turn into unfriendly arguments. But if we have a personal beef with someone, perhaps that would be better settled through a private discussion, like gentlemen. The rest of us don't care quite as much.

Wishing everyone the best...

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I made a short documentary about Indiana Jones's Fedora. It's specifically about its history and how the hat changed from film to film. Indy fans will enjoy, as well as fedora lovers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asGpe6hGcYg

Let me know what you all think.

Rob Milius

Rob, I just saw your vid. Thank you very much for your effort on this short documentary; obviously a lot of work went into it. Great work and well-edited cuts! I like your attention to details.

And a belated welcome to the Lounge! :yo:
Don't let differences of opinion discourage you from participating here. Your video is as constructive as can be. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Here is my take on the whole deal. Some day in the past, Professor Jones bought a new hat. Thru his wearing it all over the globe, in exciting adventures & all kinds of weather, it came to look like it did in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Regardless of all the neat tricks costumers & hatters can do, what model hats from what manufacturers would give me a hat that looked like the one Indy started with? Steve & others have all kinds of talent & tricks to get a hat to "screen accurate" looks but I want to go to the same starting point & let my wearing, weather, & adventures mold my hat. I guess it is like adding dirt & sweat to a hat before selling it. I'll apply my own, thanks....

bendingoak

Vendor
Here is my take on the whole deal. Some day in the past, Professor Jones bought a new hat. Thru his wearing it all over the globe, in exciting adventures & all kinds of weather, it came to look like it did in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Regardless of all the neat tricks costumers & hatters can do, what model hats from what manufacturers would give me a hat that looked like the one Indy started with? Steve & others have all kinds of talent & tricks to get a hat to "screen accurate" looks but I want to go to the same starting point & let my wearing, weather, & adventures mold my hat. I guess it is like adding dirt & sweat to a hat before selling it. I'll apply my own, thanks....

Replicating the hat that you see on screen is a lot harder then making one before he set off for his first adventure. and I wish it was that simple to just throw dirt and sweat on any brown hat.

Lt.Tom

Familiar Face
Wow, is this still going on? First let me say, nice video. Well put together, informative, and entertaining. The problem here is what gt was talking about. Obviously, creating a SA Indy hat isn't as easy as starting with any old brown hat and dirtying it up. What caused this whole thread jack is that gt doesn't want Indy's hat. He wants's gt's hat. I happen to agree with him. I would rather start with a new hat, and have my own adventures in it. That way all of the rips and stains represent my memories, not some stranger's. It won't end-up looking just like Indy's. It will end-up looking like mine. That's our problem here. The "SA Indy hat" fans can't imagine there are hat fans that want anything different, and the "regular" hat fans can't understand why it has to be so specific. We're looking at this from completely different perspectives. No one is going to change anyone's mind here. I vote we move on.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Yup, must agree with Lt. Tom. The needs are simply different. Perhaps, then, the video might have benefited from a clearer mission statement at the beginning - stating that there are many ways for Indy fans to get an Indy hat, but now we'll look at some of the best ones insofar as it comes to screen-accuracy out of the box?

In any case, I agree that it is a finely made and edited video.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Clearer mission statement? Come on guys! It's a video about a hat. A iconic hat, but just a hat. Some people just like to be offended and find offense where there is none to be found.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Wow, is this still going on? First let me say, nice video. Well put together, informative, and entertaining. The problem here is what gt was talking about. Obviously, creating a SA Indy hat isn't as easy as starting with any old brown hat and dirtying it up. What caused this whole thread jack is that gt doesn't want Indy's hat. He wants's gt's hat. I happen to agree with him. I would rather start with a new hat, and have my own adventures in it. That way all of the rips and stains represent my memories, not some stranger's. It won't end-up looking just like Indy's. It will end-up looking like mine. That's our problem here. The "SA Indy hat" fans can't imagine there are hat fans that want anything different, and the "regular" hat fans can't understand why it has to be so specific. We're looking at this from completely different perspectives. No one is going to change anyone's mind here. I vote we move on.

A lot of conjecture here, not all of it true.

There are plenty of people who can see both sides of the story. They even exist on COW, the bastion of all things Indy. Some of us want a genetic copy of what we see on screen, and some of us want a hat with the same dimensions that we can 'characterize' all by ourselves over time with natural wear and tear. And most of us, while picking one side or the other for any given hat, understand both sides.

Most people have a particular set of dimensions they like most in a hat. I like the dimensions of the Indy hat, particularly from RotLA. I like the real Indy hats. I like the modern reproductions that try to look like the beat up, real Indy hats. I like non-predistressed 'Indy' hats, I like Indy-type hats of different colors, such as Wolfwood's tawny fawn 'Indy' hat. I also like a lot of other 'non-Indy' hats.

Some people make too much over very little; what is it they say - mountains out of molehills?

Replicating the hat that you see on screen is a lot harder then making one before he set off for his first adventure. and I wish it was that simple to just throw dirt and sweat on any brown hat.

I surely didn't mean to minimize the effort or talent to "replicate" an aged artifact, especially a hat. I did reenacting too many years & having to represent early war & late war periods is a challenge.
Was the Indy Turn a result of how the hat was initially made or something that developed by how Harrison Ford treated the hat from handling or wearing? Did the costumer create it by how they "aged" it? Same goes for the rear brim shape....

bendingoak

Vendor
I think the Raiers hat was creased off center by Debra Landis to give the hat a more lived in look and to lift the brim out of the way so its easier to see Ford eyes.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Turning the hat makes the brim 'wonky,' which is a relatively easy way to instantly make the right hat look like it's had its share of extreme adventures. The dirt and crushedness further add to the look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider