Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Fedora that fits your face.

brogue

New in Town
Would appreciate comments on the best way to choose a hat to match a person's face and body. This is a pretty basic issue, and with the dearth of good local hat stores is hard to accomplish, especially if you don't have a great hat store locally and need to use mail order.

I'm sure this has been addressed before but I didn't come up with anything that answers my questions when I searched.

Specifically, I'm trying to figure out which style of hat suits me best. Trilby, fedora, best crown and brim sizes, best blocking syle (if the latter applies). Thanks.

Thanks.

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
pictures of your face would be helpful...Thats basically how you determine what hat would look good, though body can help too. Try posting some pics of yourself :D

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I know that for myself, I look better in the longer brimmed, thicker hat to offset my chubby face. Only the slim-faced folks can really wear those Sinatra-type fedoras, or the short-brimmed, pointy crown hats. I look like a clown in those hats.

On the other hand, those with thin faces look "lost" in my hats.

Best to try on different hats and see what you like if you can travel to a larger city. Even cowboy hats can give you some idea of what would look best on you, especially some of those Aussie hats that are a half-inch from being fedoras. Bring a friend with you if you want a second opinion. Sometimes a certain color can enhance your face. I look good in lighter hats.

Also, being a female, I don't want to wear the really mannish hats, thus I gravitate towards wider brims and softer colors.

If you show us a photo, I am sure you will get all sorts of comments on hats. And there are some creatives on this site who may even utilize your face and place some classic hats on your head. Believe it!

karol

brogue

New in Town
Thanks for the posts. I am not as bold as some have been to post a self-photo on the web.

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Cool guide, Kev!

I'm wondering if that guide though is of a period. Seems to be from that of a stingy brim era. Perhaps 50s? Not sure, but I would expect some longer brims on people if this was from the 40s or earlier.

These days (whatever that means)....A longer brrim than is perfect for a face can be swankier, a shorter brim funkier.

Good guide nonetheless if one is looking at face types. I'd love to see some of the KD Lightner hats on her. She's one swanky gal, from what I gather!

G

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I am waiting for my friend with the digital camera to come back from vacation and waiting for a new hat to arrive so you all can see some photos of me in my newest hats.

I don't know how swanky I am, but I do love my hats and love wearing them. I even wear them to work. Eccentric? I guess, but my co-workers and friends are used to me and even like to keep track of my many hats.

We women can do all sorts of things with our hats. I sometimes will wrap a silk scarf around a fedora to give it a tres femme look. Or tuck a flower in the band.

What I won't do is stick pins in them. I don't want my good hats having holes in them. But the lesser hats -- I have a lizard pin on one fedora, and am looking for a Indy pin to put on another. Some of my cheaper cowboy hats have Texas pins sent to me from my friend in Houston.

Heavy face or not, I do not have a homburg. Do women wear those things? I haven't seen any. Derbys, yes, homburgs, I don't know.

karol

Matthew

New in Town
Like (or unlike) many of the fedora aficionado's here,

When trying on different fedoras, searching for the right 'shape,' some look good and some do not - a 5" crown may look smooth on some, and like a top hat on others (viz., me). For one, I cannot seem to find a hat that features a 2" to 2 1/8" brim and a 3 3/4" - 4" teardrop crown - much like the "Stetson Ashland" or "Jackson Detroit" style (any help?)

What specific dimensions or styles of hat, primarily fedoras, seem to compliment your face/body shape and size the best?

What are your opinions about other types of face/body shapes and sizes?

Surely, you all have an opinion of these matters...

Thanks!

- Matt

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge!

You might find some answers, at least about the preferred brim width, in this thread.

In general, there are two factors coming together of course: "objective" matches between different types of faces and hats, and personal likes and dislikes. So I, for instance, like medium-brimmed hats with a higher-than-today crown (not that I have any), and I think this fits to my face, but I shouldn't say mini or giant brims don't fit - I just prefer the other ones.

Feraud

Bartender
Many people who are new to fedora wearing feel uncomfortable in what is perceived as a wider brim or tall crown. There are guides you can follow but personal experience is a good teacher. I always advocate owning a selection of hats to include wide and short brims, taller and lower crowns. I have owned and worn many types of hats including newsboy, homburgs, and even a bowler!:)
My experiences tell have shown that I prefer wider brim/taller crown hats.

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
IMO, way too much is made of brim/crown dimensions and appearance. Wear a wide brim or tall crown for a month - it won't look odd to you after that.

Joel

jml90

One of the Regulars
Joel Tunnah said:
IMO, way too much is made of brim/crown dimensions and appearance. Wear a wide brim or tall crown for a month - it won't look odd to you after that.

Joel
I disagree with that quite a bit if someone is very small and slight a high crowned large brimmed hat just looks silly on them. And it dwarfs their apperance.

Feraud

Bartender
jml90 said:
I disagree with that quite a bit if someone is very small and slight a high crowned large brimmed hat just looks silly on them. And it dwarfs their apperance.
I see your point. Here is a problem I have with "the rules"...
What did thin/short fellas do in the 30's or 40's when crown/brim dimension were larger? Did you ever notice Elisha Cook Jr. in The Big Sleep? Small guy with a big hat!
How about larger guys in the 60's. Should they not wear short brimmed hats or narrow lapeled suits?
The rules of hatwear today are not strict. A person can tailor their preferences to a particular style. I would advocate looking and feeling one's best in whatever style they choose. I also suggest to not exlcude a look based excusively on ideals of proportion.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I have a variety of hats with different brim widths. This is really important to balance the silhouette of different suit cuts. A wider shoulder requires a wide brim, but if I'm wearing a natural shoulder or skinnier jacket, I can wear a narrower brim. Balance.

Feraud

Bartender
Ghos7a55assin said:
I have a variety of hats with different brim widths. This is really important to balance the silhouette of different suit cuts. A wider shoulder requires a wide brim, but if I'm wearing a natural shoulder or skinnier jacket, I can wear a narrower brim. Balance.
I totally agree with your thoughts on suit cuts and hats! I hope my comments on body type/hat styles does not confuse anyone! :)

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
There were just styles that ebbed and flowed back then. The hat shapes in many cases followed the rest of the ensemble you were wearing. You see alot of skinny short guys and overweight tall guys and all the combinations wearing high crowned short brimmed hats in the early 30's and it looked fine on some horrible on others... it was the primary style men wore and I think it looked good on most. in the 60's the brim and crown were short and I think it didn't look that well on most men, though some can make it look great. As for face shapes.

Here is a pic of me in a high crown before my face got thinner.

Expo7-vi.jpg

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Joel Tunnah said:

Joel

I do have to agree with this post. I am now wearing hats that only a year ago I "thought" look ridiculous on me. I didn't like the high crowns, and I didn't like short brims. Although I still don't wear the combination of the two, both styles individually, are becoming quite popular these days. For generations, our society has been accustomed to "skin fitting" hats. Make a stand! Wear a taller crown around the house for a couple of weeks (get a cheap one to be safe). If you become accustomed to it, venture out and see if you get compliments. If you do, then the next step is to become a trend setter! Really though, a nice hat is a sign of personal confidence. If you are not confident in a particular style, stay away from it. As you begin to wear more hats, however, you will find your comfort level increase.
Good Luck!
Duane

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails