Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The finest book on hats, ever.

havershaw

Practically Family
Well, the finest I've ever seen, anyway. I'm only about halfway through it...but I can't recommend it enough. It's called:

Hat Talk
Conversations with Hat Makers about Their Hats --- the Fedora, Homberg, Straw, and Cap

by Debbie Henderson
The Wild Goose Press

I'm only a quarter of the way through it now...but I've skimmed it, and it provides me with some of the most fascinating info I've ever read about our beloved hats. A lot of the book is modern (looks like just four years ago or so) interviews with many of the men who either worked for or were in charge of many of the major hatters in the company, and also traces the lineage of many of the hat companies we know and love. Hearing some of these men talk about the differences in manufacturing methods, different companies, felt qualities, and the like is really some fascinating reading. Fedora, I recommend this book particularly to you. You will love it, and find a lot of answers to questions we've wondered about.

The bad news: I think I paid almost $60 for this thing on eBay. I can't remember now how much it was - but it was a lot. Seems like it might be hard to find. She has another book, which is called "The Handmade Felt Hat," which I believe is entirely devoted to how hats are made and is supposed to be very in-depth...I have yet to locate a copy of that one.

Anyway...it's a great read. I recommend it highly.

havershaw

Practically Family
whoa!

thanks!

Those links could probably have saved me a lot of money...! Ah well, at least I can buy her other book pretty cheap, and ask a question or two.

Fedora, you might want to email her and ask her about the 5X/Beaver 50 thing. This seems like the kind of thing she'd know about.

I have to admit, I am tempted by this as well:
http://www.hatsupply.com/hat_steamers.htm

Fedora

Vendor
Thanks Havershaw!! I will indeed order that book. I love books of that nature and have literally memorised the Stetson Book, after reading it several times. Sounds like an interesting book. regards, Fedora

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I just received my copy of "Hat Talk" and "The handmade Felt Hat" from Debbie Henderson. I have just skimmed through them and am very excited about giving them a thorough read. It cost me a total of $32.00 with shipping for both of these books. For anyone interested in the history of hats these are a must read. I can highly recommend them to all here. Many of us here have hats that are shown in her book. She also shows a pic of Graham Thompson.

regards fedoralover

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hat Talk

I just received my copy of HAT TALK by Dr. Debbie Henderson. (Thanks for the clue Havershaw).

This book is REQUIRED READING for any hat lover here on the Lounge or anywhere else.

She sent the book to me, before being paid! WOW> Now I have written a check and a nice note of thanks.

BUY THIS BOOK - YOU WON'T BE SORRY.

Cost: $19.95 plus $4 shipp.

It is really really good!!!!!!!!!

havershaw

Practically Family
yeah... I got it in an auction that got out-of-control and paid almost $70! But I actually don't regret it. I agree with AndyKev, it's REQUIRED READING. really really great book...and if it cost me $70 to discover it and bring to all of your attentions, then it was worth it.

How that Handmade Felt Hat book compare? I don't have that one yet.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
The Handmade felt hat is very interesting if you are a history buff. It tells in great detail how felt hats were made without all the machinery of the industrial age. It is only $8.00 and more of a smaller handbook, but well worth it from a historic point of view.

In Hat Talk, I have found out some very interesting things about hat quality that we have been wondering about. In some brands the 7X, 10X and 100X were all beaver felt, just different leather sweatbands and liners. This book is just fantastic.

regards fedoralover

Fedora

Vendor
In some brands the 7X, 10X and 100X were all beaver felt, just different leather sweatbands and liners.

Yeah, I noticed recently that the 7x was also clear beaver, which is pure beaver. At least from the Stetson point of view. I am about to order the books too. Fedora

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Reference please:

Steve, look at page 142 in the Hat Talk book..".Graham Thompson in his hat shop, Optima, in Chicago", however I see nothing in print that even discusses him or his "modern" operation. Havershaw..did you see anything?

Again, the photos are VERY interesting, and what I term Marvelous Reading.

No regrets on this book.

havershaw

Practically Family
I saw that picture of Graham at OPTIMA and wondered why it made its way in there...it's cool he was there, and everything...but I wasn't too sure what it related to in the book. plus, if I recall right, it's just sort of shoved in there, the last photo in the book, sort of a, "oh, and here's this guy Graham."

but I recognized him from forum members' photos I had seen and I did think it was pretty impressive that Graham was there.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
YES

It is a beautiful Coffee Table book with fabulous articles and photos, fold out sections, etc.

I recommend this book.

Which reminds me, we should have a post on "LIST YOUR HAT BOOKS".

Ok I'll do it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran