Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Front Pinch and Your Nose

MAB1

Suspended
When forming my front pinch and swoop, I always use my nose as a guide line. Another anal thing.

I also think that the pinch shoud match the shnoze. Skinny nose tight pinch. Big honker... big pinch.

Anybody gettin what I'm saying?

MAB1

Suspended
I know my head aint perfect. Maybe that's why I'm a symetry nutter. You should see how my glasses are bent. I'm a little bent too. ;)

Maybe hats have scared me straight. ahahahahahhaha:D

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
MAB1 said:
I know my head aint perfect. Maybe that's why I'm a symetry nutter. You should see how my glasses are bent. I'm a little bent too. ;)

Maybe hats have scared me straight. ahahahahahhaha:D

Ha! This is the kind of thread that makes me feel a little better about myself. I struggle with the same issues. Skinny nose, bent up head, crooked glasses, anality and all.

After an injury to the back of my head, on left of center, I was left with a big, lumpy scar under my hair and a 'mound' of calcified skull. This makes all my hats distort, especially in the back brim department. It also makes it so a hat usually feels right on my head when it is twisted to the right too much, which I am always chasing because I like the pinch to align with my nose.

I hadn't considered the width of pinch as relative to nose proportions but maybe that is why I usually tighten up on the front crease.

G

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
P.S.
While I like symmetry, or centering, with regard to the pinch, I like asymmetry of the brim swoop. I cock most of my hats (excluding westerns) over to my left some and intentionally bring the brim down lower to my left eye. My right eyebrow has a mind of its own and often raises up so this brim swoop kinda' suits the dynamics of my facial features. In general, I really think an imperfect swoop is a lot more interesting and organic that a symmetrical one.

rokket

New in Town
Harp, I do the same! And what I find interesting in my un-scientific survey of 30s and 40s films, is that MOSTLY the non-heroes (I hesitate to say "bad guy" re: film noir) cock their hats "our" way - most seem to slope down on the right. It just feels more natural to go left. But I put my wallet in my left (using right hand for the money), and can only hold a telephone handset in left, I het the heebie jeebies if I try to use right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL