Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Golden Age of Couture: Paris and London 1947 - 1957

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I wasn't sure whether to put this in the 'Events' section or here so mods feel free to move!

The Golden Age of Couture: Paris and London 1947 - 1957 is an exhibition currently on at the V&A in London. I haven't been yet but will definitely go soon as it looks really good. Has anybody here been and what were your thoughts? There are some wonderful photographs of the outfits on display and further information on the website here. You can also design and print your own 1950s dress pattern!

cemetarian

Vendor
Obviously it's a long drive from here in Texas, but I have a cyber friend who works at the V&A and he's been talking about it for a while now........it looks fabulous.........if you go get pix and stuff and share......

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I went on monday! It was unfortunately far too dark to take pictures but I really enjoyed it.

Kishtu

Practically Family
The lovely Bertie W. got me the book a couple of weeks ago.

I've been cribbing design ideas out of it ever since lol

Beautiful book, although not cheap.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
My friend just got home from London the other day and she said she went to this and that it was FABULOUS! And what a friend she is too, she gave me the pamphlet-book that they got on the tour...I can't imagine having seen all of these in person! You Londoners are some lucky gals!!:D

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I just came back to London. It was an amazing exhibition, the quantity of beautiful objects left me breathless. It was very Dior heavy, and I learned that I am much more interested in the everyday wear of the era than I am in the fancy evening dresses.

The Lee Miller exhibition was amazing too, maybe even more so from an art historical point of view. They had original copies of Vouge that you could look through, that was really fun.

Unfortunately, they did not allow people to photograph, so I don't have any pictures to show you.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Laura Chase said:
It was very Dior heavy, and I learned that I am much more interested in the everyday wear of the era than I am in the fancy evening dresses.

The Lee Miller exhibition was amazing too, maybe even more so from an art historical point of view. They had original copies of Vouge that you could look through, that was really fun.

Unfortunately, they did not allow people to photograph, so I don't have any pictures to show you.

Thanks for the reports girls. It makes sense from a conservation viewpoint that they don't allow photography but there's always so many details I notice in person that I want to immortalize. I tried to take photos with no flash at the Poiret exhibit this Spring (that was allowed there by the way!) but they were disasterous. Ah, well. Christmas can't come fast enough, I want that book!

Slightly off topic, but did any of you in the UK get to that exhibit of Her Majesty's clothes--I think it was for the anniversary of her coronation--a few years ago? I read reports that it was particulary good exhibit from a similar era as The Golden Age of Couture.

miss_elise

Practically Family

Vintage Verve

New in Town
miss_elise said:
this exhibition is now in Bendigo...near melbourne...
It was awesome, there were some many interesting things... It's running until march so any Australians - it's definitely worth the effort...

http://www.bendigoartgallery.com.au/Page/Page.asp?Page_Id=42&h=0

... and there is also a pattern on the V&A website to make your own ready to wear vintage couture... don't know if it's the same one as above but i assume so

http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/1486_couture/create.php

I am going on Sunday 8th Feb (if I don't set a date, I'm afraid I'll miss it)!

I'm taking a couple of other Melbourne Fashion bloggers with me so it should be a hoot! Can't wait to see all those gorgeous dresses with my own eyes.

miss_elise

Practically Family
you can't take pics in the exhibit... they even make you turn off your phones...

but there are some awesome pics on the v&a website... and the book is just divine

Vintage Verve

New in Town
miss_elise said:
you can't take pics in the exhibit... they even make you turn off your phones...

but there are some awesome pics on the v&a website... and the book is just divine

Girls. It was a wonderful exhibition. Worth every minute of the four hour drive to get there and back from Melbourne.

Alas, no photos, but I am doing a follow up post on my blog with some of my favourite dresses, scanned from the hefty catalogue. The post is due to be published tomorrow morning at 10.00am Melbourne time (got to love being able to schedule posts in advance!).

Drop by my Blog and check it out.

x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21