Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Golden Era's *ugliest* clothes

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Sixties ugly hat/snood/turbant/ whatever it is. Who'd wear that design, that concoction ?:confused:

CharlotteMarch-2.jpg

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cecil said:
Ha! Wow, I've always spelled it correctly but I've been pronouncing it wrong. Luckily I 'say' it on the internet alot more than I say it in real life. She's my favourite designer, so that could have been very embarassing lol Thankyou!

You're both wrong! It's pronounced "Skap." ;) I defy any Parisian to say otherwise!

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
You're both wrong! It's pronounced "Skap." ;) I defy any Parisian to say otherwise!

Italian treats the letters in it's words with respect. Chi is sounded as "key" as in Chianti not canti. Schiavo was widely mispronounced as shaivo but is pronounced skee ah'vo, italian for slave oddly enough. The designer was Italian not French. Born on Sept 10,1890 at the Palazzo Corsini in Rome. Sorry Bella but Schiaparelli is Ski-ahp(or op) and bruschetta is broos kay' tah not brewshetta.
Tom D.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Italian treats the letters in it's words with respect. Chi is sounded as "key" as in Chianti not canti. Schiavo was widely mispronounced as shaivo but is pronounced skee ah'vo, italian for slave oddly enough. The designer was Italian not French. Born on Sept 10,1890 at the Palazzo Corsini in Rome. Sorry Bella but Schiaparelli is Ski-ahp(or op) and bruschetta is broos kay' tah not brewshetta.
Tom D.

And that is how it is. :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
C-dot said:
My FDH wanted to switch cellphone companies and throw out the iPod touch he already has for an iPhone. Is it really that worth it? [huh] lol

Back on topic, Joan Crawford was never so lovely as her Two Faced Woman number in Torch Song (1953):

joan_legs.jpg

frightening.jpg

In That's Entertainment III, Debbie Reynolds tells how the original version of Two Faced Woman was performed by Cyd Charisse in The Band Wagon, a musical of the same year, but was cut for time. Comparing the two would make you cry (if seeing Joan in blackface didn't already!)

Oh my gosh, I HATED that movie! But I'm not a big Joan Crawford fan, anyways. Seeing her in this just made me writhe.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
I adore ribbons and bows, even big ones, and round collars, but for some reason this doesn't appeal to me... or does it?
1956_october_31_natalie_wood.jpg

Natalie Wood 1956

imported_miss_molly

Familiar Face
cherry lips said:
I adore ribbons and bows, even big ones, and round collars, but for some reason this doesn't appeal to me... or does it?
1956_october_31_natalie_wood.jpg

Natalie Wood 1956

Perhaps not.....but I do see something in that picture which is very appealing ;)

Foofoogal

Banned
"Dear," she said, tossing her head, "I don't *have* to walk in these shoes. They all come to me!"
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap lol lol
that is hilarious Lizzie. Just found this. That sounds just like what my beautiful best friend would say and it would definitely be true. I have seen it time and again with my own eyes. :eusa_clap lol

Steampunk_Doll

New in Town
HadleyH said:
Monkey fur and suede????

That's disgusting Madame Schiaparelli...........

(i know that some will fall in love with these at first sight :rolleyes: but i can not stomach them, sorry)

1938 abomination
picture-9.png
OO; Who stole the Dada art from the museum?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
swinggal said:
I've always hated these 1938 sandals designed by Salvatore Ferragamo. Just aweful.

h2_1973.282.2.jpg

And yet...somehow, I can completely picture Elton John or similar in them singing "Ba-ba-ba-ba-Benny and the Jets...." and I'm sure I've seen far less comfortable...stylish...wearable shoes in the late 70s and 80s at the big discos in Hollywood when I was young and barely able to get in...

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Mike in Seattle said:
And yet...somehow, I can completely picture Elton John or similar in them singing "Ba-ba-ba-ba-Benny and the Jets...

Completly :eek:fftopic: but...omg that song...:eusa_clap
Elton John and and the song "Benny and the Jets" 1973 "She's got electric boots.... a mohair suit.... you know i read it in a magazine"

what a fantastic nostalgic trip,,,,,,,,

I apologize profusely ,,,,:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxeBccvWDRQ&feature=related

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Brace yourselves

OK, ladies. For your consideration, my dear old mom, on a trip to Niagara Falls around 1936, age about 16, with her best friend Deo. Here she is in a dress that just makes my brain boggle. Maybe she was just at that awkward age. She sort of looks like Alice, when her neck started growing. Whatever.

REHNiagara19361.jpg

REHNiagara19362.jpg

REHNiagara19363.jpg

Edit: Notice they're both wearing saddle shoes with STRIPED socks. That must have been the uniform for 16 year old girls in 1936.

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
dhermann1, that second photo is just beautiful, I think...I always like when someone appears to have unintentionally turned at looked at the camera at the right moment.
And the striped socks - good eye!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Actually, I rather like that dress -- good, serviceable, comfortable cotton, probably home-made, not form-fitting but not cut like a sack. I'd put a different collar on it, in a contrasting color, and de-puff the sleeves, but otherwise, it's something I might wear right now.

(And I've got saddle shoes, too.)

Lenore

Practically Family
I second Lizzie, What's wrong with the dress? It's not my preferred style, but it's certainly not hideous. No where near the same category as the monkey fur boots.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
OK, if you say so. Maybe I just react that way because she looks so gangly in these pics. I think it's the puffy sleeves that I find a little de trop. I really wonder what colors the socks were!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I *love* the puff-sleeve dress and own several that are even puffier! I like both dresses in those pics -- even the stripe socks. I wear stuff like this on a daily basis [huh]

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I don't see what's so awful about the dresses.

I would get rid of the striped socks, hike up the slip under the blond girl's skirt and go down a size on the striped shirt, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats