Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Beer Thread

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
But what is your favorite brand of beer? I know this is a screwy question. The newspaper article in yesterdays paper talked about the resurrection of the Pabst Blue Ribbon beer company. It was as good as dead a few years ago, being overshadowed by Bud, Coors, and Miller. The younger crowd in Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco have brought it back, and the company has resurged.

The beer has been described as "good ol' plain beer". The company spend only $427,000 for advertising, mainly ads, and local promotions. Unlike the giants who spend $300 million just to advertise, like at the superbowl and big events.

There is supposed to be a rebellion, the article stated, against the "naked girls and fast car" ads Budweiser uses.

Plus the fact that PBR is about $1.50 per drink opposed to almost double that at the local pub for the "brand names".

I don't think I ever had one, as my favorite are the craft beers, like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Any votes on what is good or popular in your region. We have members all over this country..so it might be a fun idea to toss out.

Like Pretty Big Guy - what is FUDD Beer? Your profile says that is the home of it...see, this can be a fun topic!

BTW here is the link to the article, which gives the full story.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/business/8254489.htm

Cliffhanger

New in Town
Well, PBR in Tennessee is considered the drink o' the redneck. I find that REALLY interesting that young folks in Seattle and San Fran are bringing it back..

As far as myself, I am enjoying Michelob more lately. I am not sure why, and my compadres dog me about it. The classics are also good, Bud and the like.

My two cents...good topic btw.

Peace,
Cliffhanger

Sergei

Gone Home
Well through the years my tastes have gravitated to dark beers and dark red wine. I like my wine so dark red I can't see through it like a dark cab or syrah. As far as beers and ales,

Guinness Stout of course:
68975587drinks.jpg

and Bodington's Pub Ale:
fddkBeersBy_NameBoddingtons_Pub_Ale.gif

And I always support local micro brews like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Mass market beer is well just... too ordinary. Life is short, you have to go for the gusto.

-Sergei

GCR

New in Town
Ahh, Pabst Blue Ribbon. A good friend of mine randomly began to drink PBR back when the Red Sox made it into the playoffs last year. He said it was for good luck. Of course, I inquired as to why PBR would be good luck, and his reply was merely "you'll see" so after a while I stopped asking. Now, let's just say that he hasn't had a PBR for QUITE a long time.:rolleyes:

I, personally, have sworn off strong drink, except for special occasions. And on said special occasions I usually gravitate towards something with a bit more kick than beer, so I really have nothing constructive to add beyond my short little tale of the PBR.

Oh, and Andykev, I don't want to give it away, but FUDD beer is the brand rival of DUFF beer, which I believe is bottled in Springfield.

-GCR

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
Oh, and Andykev, I don't want to give it away, but FUDD beer is the brand rival of DUFF beer, which I believe is bottled in Springfield.

-GCR [/B]

GCR is correct. FUDD bottled in the fictional town of Shelbyville which is always @ odds with Springfield, home of the Simpsons!
I've never been a drinker of PBR. When I'm home visiting my folks in Illinois, I will tip a bottle of Leinenkugel or Old Style though!
PBG

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I prefer darker ales, like Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, Fuller's London Porter, McEwan's Scotch Ale, or Guinness Extra Stout. When I want something lighter in color, I go for Unibroue's La Fin du Monde. Belgian-style ales make for a welcome change.

Brad Bowers

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
All fictional beer aside, when I order beer @ a bar or resteraunt, I usually get a Bodington Pub Ale, Guiness or Newcastle. In the summertime I tend to drink lighter fare especially Pacifico Clara. There's nothing better then a few of those with lime after a day of surfing!

Kilgour Trout

One of the Regulars
Bass all the way!!

After living in the UK for a couple of years...I couldn't forget the taste of Bass Pale Ale. MK..If you like the ales..you have to try it. It has a terrific "Fresh Bread" aftertaste. :D . I'm also partial to Darker beers and would love to try some of the Oatmeal blends.

Refreshing Regards
Kilgour Trout

farnham54

A-List Customer
Guinness for me, and little else. It seems to be the type of stout that you either love and defend to the death, or you hate it and the slightest drop on your palet makes you spit. I'm in the latter group, of course.

However, on occasion, I have indulged in a can of Kieths--I do not care for it drawn from the tap, but I can stomach it quite happily in the can. However, I had it from the tap in a very sketchy Winnipeg pub, and I think based on the opinions of many others, that it is a very good draught beer as well.

And, of course, let's not forget the good ol' Labatt Blue, which is always a good standby (and reasonably cheap too, if you must provide a lot of it for some thirsty college kids)

Smithwicks is a nice beer too, but I rarely indulge in it.

Regards,

Craig

kent

New in Town
Warsteiner Dunkel, for the first.
Guinness is #2
Ziegen Bock comes in last, but not least on my list.

These are almost completely eclipsed by Bacardi 151, but that's not the subject here.

Kilgour Trout

One of the Regulars
Thats a new one!

Kent: I've never heard of it. What kind of heady brew are we talking about here? Is it another stout, dark ale, lager. Please share some particulars on the character and flavour. It sounds very interesting. I'm going to ask our Liquor Control Board Outlet to try and find it. (Yes, Alcohol is sold only by licenced outlets and provincial government stores...works pretty good! The only government agency that actually makes money LOL .)

Warm Regards
Kilgour Trout

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
My two favorite beers of all time are, alas, no longer made: Worthington E and Watney's Red Barrel. Both were British, as are most of my favorites. On tap, nothing currently beats Fuller ESB, if you can find it. In cans, Boddington's is good (just about anything with those "widgets" at the bottom of the can is good), and, of course, Guinness. John Courage in the bottle is pretty good. Among American beers I've always had a fondness for Stroh's, which is bottled in Detroit, though it might just be because that's where I come from. It went national several years back then disappeared again. Henry Weinhardts is good, too, but no longer seems available in six-packs. I avoid most mass market American beers, and would die of dehydration in the desert before drinking Miller. (All those elaborate commercials aside, I've never fully understood why people buy Miller Beer when anyone can just get a horse and make their own.) If I really have the choice, though, I'll go to the best (one of the only!) brewpubs in the L.A. area, Crown City Brewery in Pasadena. They serve an absolutely delightful brew called "Mt. Wilson Wheat."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy