Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

" The Great British Hat Makers "

Percy Jones London, Bakelite Hat Display Marker, possibly 1930s.

52000081302_c36ef9d30e_o.jpg

52001159373_6160971c03_o.jpg

side

New in Town
I found a Swedish website where they sell unused vintage hats. It's only 55 and 56 cm

There is one Battersby special quality (London) and Mayser.
It only says the size and not what brand each size is.

The quality looks amazing. Too bad, it doesn't fit me. The price is very good too I think for an unused hat.

I found a Swedish website where they sell unused vintage hats. It's only 55 and 56 cm

There is one Battersby special quality (London) and Mayser.
It only says the size and not what brand each size is.

The quality looks amazing. Too bad, it doesn't fit me. The price is very good too I think for an unused hat.
First of all: welcome to the lounge. The listed hats are interesting for sure. There are in fact three hats: two Battersby hats and one Mayser. The Battersby hats are size 58 (for the grey one) and 56 for the brown one. The Mayser is a size 56 as well.

side

New in Town
First of all: welcome to the lounge. The listed hats are interesting for sure. There are in fact three hats: two Battersby hats and one Mayser. The Battersby hats are size 58 (for the grey one) and 56 for the brown one. The Mayser is a size 56 as well.
According to the size you choose it's only 55 and 56, the other might have been sold.

side

New in Town
How do I get rid of the signature in my Moores hat?
You can see it on the right side in the first picture.
It might not be the best picture. I can take a better picture later

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2022-03-29 kl. 20.32.43.png
    Skärmavbild 2022-03-29 kl. 20.32.43.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 76
  • Skärmavbild 2022-03-29 kl. 20.33.41.png
    Skärmavbild 2022-03-29 kl. 20.33.41.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 77

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
How do I get rid of the signature in my Moores hat?
You can see it on the right side in the first picture.
It might not be the best picture. I can take a better picture later
Hi Niklas.

Glad to have met you and to have been able to have helped make this Moores come your way.

I agree with Bill. Don't worry about the initials, irritating as they are. Removing them might only make matters worse.

It's still a nice example of a Manchester hatmakers work both inside and out.

Please send photos of you wearing it in this thread and others.

Two Scott&Co hats came in this week. Rather special given the colour of these bowlers. So Here is the first one: Scott&Co bowler in grey. Size 7 1/4, with the brim a tad under 5,5cm and the crown about 12,5cm (to my eye at least). Weighs 196 grams. I think this is the later one. It is not true to size and feels definitely smaller. Likely a woolfelt or a mixed felt as it has some texture to the hand.

scottbowlerg_1.jpg

scottbowlerg_2.jpg

scottbowlerg_3.jpg

scottbowlerg_4.jpg

scottbowlerg_5.jpg

scottbowlerg_6.jpg

scottbowlerg_7.jpg

scottbowlerg_8.jpg

scottbowlerg_9.jpg

And the brown one. Scott&Co bowler in light brown. Also a size 7 1/4 with the brim at 5cm and the crown slightly higher it seems than the grey one at 13cm. Weighs 160 grams and this has a smoother hand than the grey one.

scottbowlerb_1.jpg

scottbowlerb_2.jpg

scottbowlerb_3.jpg

scottbowlerb_4.jpg

scottbowlerb_5.jpg

scottbowlerb_6.jpg

scottbowlerb_7.jpg

scottbowlerb_8.jpg

scottbowlerb_9.jpg

And this is what the shop looked like, which is all I could find about the retailer.

accent.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Battersby Top Hat from probably just before WWI or there abouts.

20220609_214036.jpg

I've never seen this logo on a Battersby before

20220609_214052.jpg 20220609_214102.jpg
But it's one of Battersby's early London addresses and it's long time Paris address thanks to a business connection.

Battersby tried for many years to find a site for a factory in France, and finally found one in 1907 in Conty, north of Paris.

The logo makes me think this Top Hat was made in their Paris factory and re-sold in Denmark.

Frederik Bindslev was a well known furmaker (bundtmager in Danish) in Denmark's 3rd largest town, Odense.

Screenshot_20220609-172135_Chrome.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko