Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great War

Marcus

A-List Customer
Bartenders...Apologies if this is not the right section or just too off topic, but I just wanted to throw this out there if anyone is interested.

I wanted to share some photos and video from our last Great War reenactment. For anyone interested in that period of history, please check out the following:

The Club site:
www.greatwarhistoricalsociety.com

My unit:
www.ir23gwhs.com

Our Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Infantry-Regiment-23-Von-Winterfeldt/276340175733

Photos from our last event:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20596418@N07/sets/72157626387685606/
http://gallery.me.com/wjbgthom#100400

A video of the Kaiser's troops in action:
[video=youtube;_wZ9Y-ZKWAk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wZ9Y-ZKWAk [/video]

If anyone is interested in joining us, hit me up!

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
I have an interest in the Great War - but naturally the U-Boats. I tell people who are interested in WWII U-Boats to read about WWI, because then they will understand more of what happened in WWII with them. It's nice to see others here though who are also interested in the Great War. :)

Marcus

A-List Customer
Here's a "Pre-War" shot of my wife and I:

25606_1378725790214_1293983767_31183278_497688_n.jpg

Chas

One Too Many
Understanding WW I is key to understanding both the 20th C. and our present day world. It was the first truly modern war, complete with genocide and a miserably failed peace. We are still contending with it's effects.

WW I isn't a was, it's an is.

Last edited:

plain old dave

A-List Customer
This is an interesting thread... Around Here (Tennessee), if you mention you're a re-enactor, usually the first comment the "tater" replies with is, 'oh, my great-great-great Grandfather was in the 53rd Alabama'. "Reenactor" in the South is equated with Civil War like "drill weekend" is with the National Guard.

Renault

One Too Many
Very interesting thread! Thanks for the posts and pics!!!

When questioned as to whom or what I reenact, I always answer a 19 y.o. (I'm 55) I've just no interest in putting another kit together. Just the sound of it hurts.... LOL! Setting in front of my tent doing nothing except for maybe my pipe and a Pernod is about all the real campaigning left in me......

However, Great War in Central and East Africa does sound a bit interesting........ So suppose there's a chance......

Renault

Renault

One Too Many
Only your boy von Lettow-Vorbeck was doin' his thing down there!!!!!!!! What a guy!!!!! He couldhave taught Gueverra a thing or two about Guerrilla warfare!

And wasn't it Luftschiff 59 (?) that tried to get them supplies all the way from Germany?????

Renault

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Central and East Africa...now there is a campaign that most do not even know was occurred.

I agree, but WW1 has always fascinated me for several reasons, one of which trying to fight a modern war with outdated tactics i.e. calvary charging into machine guns. I too have always been fascinated with the fronts that were fought in colonial possessions.

Kirk H.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Zeppelin L59

And wasn't it Luftschiff 59 (?) that tried to get them supplies all the way from Germany?????
Renault
Zeppelin L59 tried to resupply them but had to turn back. They covered 4200 miles round trip, and were aloft for 95 hours, a record for the time! Yes, I like WWI aviation, even the China theater!
L59.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Understanding WW I is key to understanding both the 20th C. and our present day world. It was the first truly modern war, complete with genocide and a miserably failed peace. We are still contending with it's effects.

WW I isn't a was, it's an is.

VERY true. I am fond of the argument that all of the blood of the blood-soaked 20th century can be laid at the feet of William Howard Taft.

One can study WWI for a lifetime and never figure out what it was about that was worth the sacrifice of millions.

kokopelli

One of the Regulars
The Campaign in the Middle East (The The Seven Pillars of Wisdom) is one of my favorite interests.. WW1 did indeed set the pieces in place and we're still paying for the mistakes.. Ron

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Zeppelin L59 tried to resupply them but had to turn back. They covered 4200 miles round trip, and were aloft for 95 hours, a record for the time! Yes, I like WWI aviation, even the China theater! ...

Hi

There is another try at re-supply that worked. The Germans sent a supply ship and the supplies were packaged so that the ship could be sunk. They salvaged most of the supplies from it. The way that the British found out that the ship was being salvaged was the 1917 head stamp on the fired brass.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-War-Africa-1914-1918/dp/0393305643/ref=wl_mb_hu_m_2_dp

Later

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've only recently discovered having spoken with my mum, that my Grandfather (her father) served in the British Army during the debacle of the Gallipoli Campaign!! *(I had 'no idea' of this).

Some of you will be aware that I've been on several battlefield trips in France and Belgium, walking over the old battle fields. It's 'very' sobering and the cemetaries (some 'very' small of only a handful where maybe a platoon got killed, some with 100's where most of a Battallion were annihilated) make you *think* very hard at the scale and cost of it all...
Even the names that the Tommies gave roads, intersections, corners of fields still remain to this day, like HELLFIRE CORNER, SNIPER'S REACH or MUD LANE.

Hal

Practically Family
I've only recently discovered having spoken with my mum, that my Grandfather (her father) served in the British Army during the debacle of the Gallipoli Campaign!! *(I had 'no idea' of this).
I'm not surprised you didn't know - the First World War experience was so dreadful for so many that they simply sealed their lips. My father fought in France (I think, at the Somme) in the Artillery and was invalided out - he would NEVER talk about his experiences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran