Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hat Gear Thread

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Hat form...

Steamer attachment for shaping...
steamtool.jpg

Here is my try at Copying gtdean48's Teapot Steamer. Cost $15.00.
Teapotsteamer.jpg

Jeff

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I received a couple of band blocks today. The shop usually makes them with poplar but I asked for them to be made of cedar.

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Cool gizmos in this thread. All the talk of spraying hats with waterproofing products, however, rings an alarm. I suspect that the hat's breathability would suffer, and I rely on that quality more than its ability to repel water.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Hat form...
p1010001.jpg

Steamer attachment for shaping...
steamtool.jpg

I have numerous brushes & sponges...

I like the steamer stopper and line...(reminds me of the days from moonshin...er. em) and I have my hat shaper, actually have not used it yet but I can see why it will help block a hat with ease
Have both a light and dark hat brush, from M&F Western Products, and two orange hat sponges, some bickmore pump spray hat stiffener, aerosol water and stain repellent from bickmore, and some scout hat cleaner that is a powder.

I have used all these products and think they are worth while.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Cool gizmos in this thread. All the talk of spraying hats with waterproofing products, however, rings an alarm. I suspect that the hat's breathability would suffer, and I rely on that quality more than its ability to repel water.

I have used some on a hat, the water proofing spray, lightly, but only on one of my Bailey Fedora's.

El Sid

New in Town
I came across on an old thread posted years ago by one of the pro hatters, I believe, that said you can spray a solution of three parts water to one part Armorall on a hat, both to restore the felt and waterproof it. I tried it on an old stetson conversion and it softened the felt, brought out some vividness in the color and the rain beads up and rolls right off the hat. The solution will stain ribbon, though. I would also guess it is not for anybody allergic to silicon.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Got a great BIN on this hat stretcher on Ebay.
IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

It could use some cleaning and tightening. The heater has no cord. Does anyone know anyone who rebuilds these baby's.

Jeff

Nice catch, Jeff. I would forget that it has a heater and use the stretching mechanism only. Screw it all the way out and clean and lubricate the threads. It should work like a charm.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I have no idea what this is for exactly, but it had the magic numbers "7 1/8" on it, so I bought it for a couple bucks. Advice on what it's used for or how to, anyone? I'm assuming it has something to do with the brim, as it also says "2 3/4"

003copyy.jpg

004copy.jpg

005copyb.jpg

006copyf.jpg

007copym.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart