Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hat Gear Thread

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Besides a tea kettle and a bunch of brushes all I have is an old Garve Stretcher and a band block I had made from a tracing of my Art conformer, both of which have done wonders for reshaping my commercial hats to fit my funky shaped head

GARVEDELUXEHATSTRETCHER.jpg

bandblock4.jpg

bandblock3.jpg

bandblock1.jpg

bandblock2.jpg

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Review of aforementioned hat brush

What can I say... it's a brush. It works as is expected; cleaning away dust effortlessly. I must say, it is easier to use than the last brush I showed, since the handle doesn't get in the way. But still, at heart it's a glorified shoe brush for $10... and small!

Request for recommendations on hat racks

If anyone knows a source for a cheap hat rack, please let me know. I'm thinking of buying a couple for the restaurants I frequent, eliminating the hassle with where to put my hat while I eat. But they have to be inexpensive because I'll need a couple, and they aren't going to be... mine. Even though I'll be using them.

Lloyd

A-List Customer
fluteplayer07 said:
Lloyd, how does it work with the band block? Stretch it like normal, then fit it over your custom block?

Pretty much. Best is after a good rain storm.
It makes a Stetson Western fit like one of my Art hats. It's amazing.

I've got 2 of them now. One for the hat I wore today and one for the hat I think I'm wearing tomorrow. It really helps the sweat keep it's size and it's condition to put it on the block after wearing, at least if the sweat is wet. And since I've been know to sweat through a beaver hat in an hour that's a fairly common occurrence in my house.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Any way to water proof a fedora?

I recently picked up a Scala Milan fedora for very very cheap. The fur is soft and I am hesitant to wear it in the weather. unfortunatly I live in Vermont and, like the saying goes, if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes and it will change.

So my question is this: Is there any way to increase the water repelancy of the fur so that if I get caught in snow or rain the hat will not be destroyed? Yes I got it for next to nothing but it's a pretty cool hat and I would hate to see it ruined if I were to get stuck someplace - and being bald going with out a hat in the weather is not really an option for me :)

Any advice?

I recently picked up a Scala Milan fedora for very very cheap. The fur is soft and I am hesitant to wear it in the weather. unfortunatly I live in Vermont and, like the saying goes, if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes and it will change.

So my question is this: Is there any way to increase the water repelancy of the fur so that if I get caught in snow or rain the hat will not be destroyed? Yes I got it for next to nothing but it's a pretty cool hat and I would hate to see it ruined if I were to get stuck someplace - and being bald going with out a hat in the weather is not really an option for me :)

Any advice?

Scout Felt Hat Rain & Stain Repellent

http://www.sheplers.com/hats/hat_accessories_care/101397.html?Source=Froogle

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Well there is an idea - I used Scotch-Guard on my ribbons when I was in the Army. I'll have to research that - even if it makes the hat a bit darker I wouldn't mind (It's a light grey now)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I'm not sure that spraying a FUR felt hat helps any. The fact that it's FUR felt should be enough. Fur is what animals use to repel water. (Thank you Captain Obvious). On the other side, I'm not sure what spraying Scotch Guard on Wool Felt will do. My Wool Felt bush hat shrunk a bit when I got it soaked. I think that IF IT WERE ME, I'd just wear a fur felt, and I'd try spraying a wool felt. I already know what happens to wet wool hats.

I haven't had my two fur felts out in the rain yet, not on purpose, just lucky and we haven't had rain here in Kansas for a while. SNOW, but no rain.

Later

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hi

I'm not sure that spraying a FUR felt hat helps any. The fact that it's FUR felt should be enough. Fur is what animals use to repel water. (Thank you Captain Obvious). On the other side, I'm not sure what spraying Scotch Guard on Wool Felt will do. My Wool Felt bush hat shrunk a bit when I got it soaked. I think that IF IT WERE ME, I'd just wear a fur felt, and I'd try spraying a wool felt. I already know what happens to wet wool hats.

I haven't had my two fur felts out in the rain yet, not on purpose, just lucky and we haven't had rain here in Kansas for a while. SNOW, but no rain.

Later

In felt form, if said FUR is gotten wet, say, if the hat is soaked to the core in a strong downpour, the hat can indeed taper and shrink. Using a water repellent spray definitely reduces the chances of this happening.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Can Scout's be used on vintage hats without any ill effects? Or only new, clean hats? I don't use water repellant, and I don't want it to stain any hat if I buy some.

I also created the The Hat Gear Thread for these sorts of questions (some more shameless self-promotion of my threads).

Cheers,

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Besides a tea kettle and a bunch of brushes all I have is an old Garve Stretcher and a band block I had made from a tracing of my Art conformer, both of which have done wonders for reshaping my commercial hats to fit my funky shaped head

GARVEDELUXEHATSTRETCHER.jpg

bandblock4.jpg

bandblock3.jpg

bandblock1.jpg

bandblock2.jpg

Trying to figure out how the band block works - I also have a funky shaped head (yes I am an egg head) and am thinking that something similar to this will really help keep the "forehead line monster" away...

Lloyd

A-List Customer
The band block is theoretically a cross section of your head. Just put the band block in the hat and let it sit there. It will stretch and form the hat the same way your head does but it doesn't hurt your head as much :) and you can leave the block in the hat as long as necessary.
The challenge if your head is a funky shape is getting that shape reproduced in 2 dimensions. As I said in my original post mine was made from a tracing of the conformer that I sent to Art and then a fellow on ebay who sells millinery equipment made the block for me.

Lloyd

A-List Customer
The other pieces of wood in that pic are a spinner for the crown block and an insert to go into the slot in the band block. I specified "furniture grade" when I ordered that block so I got the extra bells and whistles. Only the band block is actually required. My second band block doesn't have the spinner and just sits on the counter. The spinner is convenient when brushing a hat since you can put the hat on the band block and then just spin it around as necessary. And the spinner is really heavy too so it helps hold the whole thing in place when working on a hat.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In felt form, if said FUR is gotten wet, say, if the hat is soaked to the core in a strong downpour, the hat can indeed taper and shrink. Using a water repellent spray definitely reduces the chances of this happening.

O.K., but what does the water repellent do to your chances of changing the crown or brim? What does steaming do to a fur felt hat with water repellent on it? Would the answer be different if I asked about Beaver fur felt?

Thanks

Jedwbpm

One Too Many

Any advice?
Hey Moe just an FYI you can get great deals on hats like $5.00-$10.00 each at the Orvis tent sale on Columbus Day weekend. It is the best.

Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart